Midlands get together

sweet_pea88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance, bullies, balloons, **** on TV :-)
Well done sweet_pea88,
Great you're running a half marathon! What an awesome effort.
Let us know if there is any support or advice we can offer you. Www. teambloodglucose.com

Thank you. Advice is always needed! Managed to run 9.8 miles today with no hypo just went hyper after hmmm.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you. Advice is always needed! Managed to run 9.8 miles today with no hypo just went hyper after hmmm.
Wow!
Excellent effort!
What sort of carb loading are you doing whilst you run, and what's your regime afterwards? Also are you on a pump and reducing basal whilst you run or reducing injected insulin at all etc?
Somewhere to look that may help: http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Type_1_Case_Study.html
The video is rather long (sorry) but worth sitting through, especially the second half.
Also on this forum ElyDave does a lot of running, and is incredibly well controlled. He posts up his results with carb loading.
Going hyper can be a bit annoying - that's just from your liver kicking out glucose after you finish. Some people do bring this back down with insulin, but it can leave you susceptible to a hypo later on in the day.
Sounds like you've actually got your loading pretty nailed! Another TeamBG advocate in the making me thinks?!
Keep up the amazing effort, and let me know how you progress.:)

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Has anyone got any further with this? I'm just starting on a journey to set up a group in Birmingham for type 1 diabetics. I don't know if there are people who might be interested. It's getting the information out there. Posted etc... :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Shame you couldn't all meet up in a pub for tonight's #GBDoc tweet chat on diabetes and alcohol!
Www.gbdoc.co.uk
If you set a date just tweet it out and make sure you include the #gbdoc in it so it can be retweeted (perhaps #ourD would retweet that for you too)
Alternatively just join in the chat tonight and ask the question at the end - see who's local for a get together!:joyful:

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Brum's a bit of a trek for me I'm afraid, but I was thinking the same for East Anglia
Humph! - would love to but we're at other ends of the country (somerset here)
Will definitely have to meet up at some point though. :rolleyes: Do you head over to the Southwest at all?

sweet_pea88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well you see this is what I need to explore.... Carb loading. It's new to me and not sure whether I am getting it right. I know how to fuel myself during the run... So far that consists of banana before, lucozade sport and jelly babies during. I am on an insulin pump. I take mine off if I was to wear it my blood sugars drop rapidly. So for an hour before I reduce my BR to 10% and then after switch it back to 100% and inject the missed basal insulin as a bolus. But I take my insulin and meter out with me and check regularly when out. I tend to do a bit of yoga also to try and stretch my achy muscles out.

My hospital have offered to lend me a CGM to see what's going on with my sugars when training. That will be fun!

The video does not seem to want to load on my iPad so will try it on my PC when I get back from yoga this am.

The website looks cool though! How long has it been up and running? How cool to have your own team! Will you be doing more events? Would love to get involved!

I know if only we could of thought that one through! I'm really hoping we can get this group up and running!!

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well you see this is what I need to explore.... Carb loading. It's new to me and not sure whether I am getting it right. I know how to fuel myself during the run... So far that consists of banana before, lucozade sport and jelly babies during. I am on an insulin pump. I take mine off if I was to wear it my blood sugars drop rapidly. So for an hour before I reduce my BR to 10% and then after switch it back to 100% and inject the missed basal insulin as a bolus. But I take my insulin and meter out with me and check regularly when out. I tend to do a bit of yoga also to try and stretch my achy muscles out.

My hospital have offered to lend me a CGM to see what's going on with my sugars when training. That will be fun!

The video does not seem to want to load on my iPad so will try it on my PC when I get back from yoga this am.

The website looks cool though! How long has it been up and running? How cool to have your own team! Will you be doing more events? Would love to get involved!

I know if only we could of thought that one through! I'm really hoping we can get this group up and running!!

Hi there,
Okay - I would suggest your carb loading with lucozade and jelly babies isn't ideal (only because they're not great sources of glucose and a bit hit and miss with regard to quantity) We recommend torq product - gels and recovery drink etc. http://www.torqfitness.co.uk . Much faster release and absorption, and specific number of carbs. Recovery product after a run is awesome - gives your body everything you need. Pretty expensive, but worth it. Really any brand of energy gels would work better for you though - that and drink plenty of water.

CGM is a superb idea. That will enable you to absolutely match requirements. Also you'll get to observe and catch any hypers/hypos afterwards or overnight. Just make sure you get to see the real-time data, and the hospital doesn't keep all the data to go through it with you a week after the event!:banghead:

You really don't need to inject the insulin you've missed! Eeek! You'll see why once you watch the video - basically your muscles are able to take glucose directly out of the blood when you exercise - without any insulin. (Sorry - the video doesn't load on the iPad, and we haven't figured out why!) no need to make up the 'lost' units. Certainly that will be bringing any higher bloods back down though.

TeamBG has been set up after the need was identified through the gbdoc. My husband basically set up both after being diagnosed with T1 at the ripe old age of 42! He set up the gbdoc first because he felt isolated, then set up TeamBG because he has an interest in exercise and perceived that there was a big hole in the knowledge and understanding in that area. Anyone who wants to exercise is part of TeamBG as far as we're concerned - so welcome to the Team!
We've been going for just a year or so - still early days, but big plans!

We'll be booking in more dates for parkrun events before long - just getting pharma signed up to support us so that we can offer literature/advice, free test kits, hand out gels etc when we turn up. :)

Hey - have you joined the Sporty Diabetic Type1's facebook page? Loads of peeps there too to ask advice from. There might even be a few based in your neck of the woods for the support group! You'll find the link on the teambg website. Bx

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi - sorry, one other thought,
Not sure that keeping your pump off for anything other than a short length of time is such a good idea - have you tried keeping it on at a greatly reduced rate?
Good luck with the get together!:)

sweet_pea88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi there,
Okay - I would suggest your carb loading with lucozade and jelly babies isn't ideal (only because they're not great sources of glucose and a bit hit and miss with regard to quantity) We recommend torq product - gels and recovery drink etc. http://www.torqfitness.co.uk . Much faster release and absorption, and specific number of carbs. Recovery product after a run is awesome - gives your body everything you need. Pretty expensive, but worth it. Really any brand of energy gels would work better for you though - that and drink plenty of water.

CGM is a superb idea. That will enable you to absolutely match requirements. Also you'll get to observe and catch any hypers/hypos afterwards or overnight. Just make sure you get to see the real-time data, and the hospital doesn't keep all the data to go through it with you a week after the event!:banghead:

You really don't need to inject the insulin you've missed! Eeek! You'll see why once you watch the video - basically your muscles are able to take glucose directly out of the blood when you exercise - without any insulin. (Sorry - the video doesn't load on the iPad, and we haven't figured out why!) no need to make up the 'lost' units. Certainly that will be bringing any higher bloods back down though.

TeamBG has been set up after the need was identified through the gbdoc. My husband basically set up both after being diagnosed with T1 at the ripe old age of 42! He set up the gbdoc first because he felt isolated, then set up TeamBG because he has an interest in exercise and perceived that there was a big hole in the knowledge and understanding in that area. Anyone who wants to exercise is part of TeamBG as far as we're concerned - so welcome to the Team!
We've been going for just a year or so - still early days, but big plans!

We'll be booking in more dates for parkrun events before long - just getting pharma signed up to support us so that we can offer literature/advice, free test kits, hand out gels etc when we turn up. :)

Hey - have you joined the Sporty Diabetic Type1's facebook page? Loads of peeps there too to ask advice from. There might even be a few based in your neck of the woods for the support group! You'll find the link on the teambg website. Bx

Hey

I did try some gels but it didn't seem to work on my blood sugars and kept dropping which I thought was odd?! Maybe it's just me who is odd haha. They are expensive I have to agree!

Well if I don't bolus for any missed insulin my sugars stay very high around 18-24 and I feel unwell. It depends on the amount of time I have gone without insulin. 10 miles yesterday took me around 2 hrs so a long time without any insulin on board. I haven't had a hypo yet :). The same happened last week also. I suppose we are all different?

I just need to find out what foods to carb load before and after not during.

There are a couple of park runs on a Saturday morning in Birmingham one not that far way in Walsall actually. Should try and get there ;-)

I don't think I'm part of that group no.

Do you have any good bum bags or something along those lines that you know are great for on long runs to carry everything you need I.e. Sugar, blood meter, pump etc

sweet_pea88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi - sorry, one other thought,
Not sure that keeping your pump off for anything other than a short length of time is such a good idea - have you tried keeping it on at a greatly reduced rate?
Good luck with the get together!:)

Well this is what I'm struggling with at the moment

I leave it off as I can start on 11.8 mmol having had my banana about fifteen minutes before, 30 mins in and it can drop to 6.0 mmol and then it stays around there with eating the jelly babies every ten minutes. I suppose I would hypo if I had it on. I'm at a loss to what to do for best. Hypo during and hyper after ah!

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just out of interest, are you able to work out what your carb loading is? Www.runsweet.com have a good breakdown for what this should be - works it out by your weight and type of activity.
Different people have different needs. ElyDave has posted elsewhere on the forum needs approx 40g/hr which is pretty low - for some that can go up to 60g and more per hour.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/tried-a-bit-different-today-getting-there.57734/#post-552756

Absolutely right to treat high bloods afterwards. That's caused by your liver kicking out glucose after your run (a response to raised heart rate). Insulin suppresses glucose production by the liver, and it could be that by disconnecting your insulin you are actually contributing to the high BG rise after you finish which is why you're having to use so much.

I'm hoping someone else on the forum can advise regarding what's safe vis a vis disconnecting your pump. My personal view is that for an extended period (over 1hr or more) you should really keep it connected, albeit at a reduced level - but I suggest you consult with a HCP to qualify what is safe.
Of course it will mean that you must carb up sufficiently.

It is a more tried and tested way to just reduce insulin. Although your muscles are able to take glucose out of the blood stream once your GLUT4 transporters are mobilised, a trickle of insulin will also help your muscles to take up fuel. Should make running a little easier, plus you can safely extend your running time without risking knock-on effects through insulin levels running on 'empty'.

Apologies, I can't advise with regards to a bag, but ask on the Facebook group and someone may be able to suggest a good source.

Happy running and keep us posted with how you progress. Bx

sweet_pea88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I will be meeting with my nurse on Monday to discuss my progress.she suggested to bolus after if I'm struggling. I wouldn't mind wearing it just I don't want the hypo. Ah so confusing! Maybe I need to eat more carbs before my run and have my pump on 10%. Oh it makes my head spin trying to figure it all out!

I am determined to get it right! :)

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
What are you doing for JDRF? I will be running the Birmingham half marathon with the midlands office in October. Well we can sort something out. The group doesn't have to meet on the same day of the week every time?

Hey Sweetpea - doing a tandem skydive in August, I'm not that great at running, have no stamina so jumping out of a plane seemed like a more realistic thing to do !!

Let me know what plan unfolds and I look forward to hearing more ;)

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thats a great idea i would love to meet with fellow t1d,s but unfortinately im in Scotland!

sweet_pea88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hey Sweetpea - doing a tandem skydive in August, I'm not that great at running, have no stamina so jumping out of a plane seemed like a more realistic thing to do !!

Let me know what plan unfolds and I look forward to hearing more ;)

Ha that's scary to me! You done many before? You have an email or on any social media sites so I can keep you informed?