Always Hungry

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI,

I was only diagnosed a couple of months ago.
After just an hour of eating I'm hungry.
Is it normal to be feeling hungry all the time?

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep. Especially when I'm bored (i.e. at work) I want to eat all the time.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Been there, I was always hungry too after being diagnosed, I think it's because we lose weight prior to diagnosis and it's our body way of restocking our fat stores, if weight becomes a problem then you should discuss it with your diabetes consultant.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You may need to put weight back on to get back to a healthy weight. I remember after diagnosis being so glad to have an appetite back and to be able to put on weight.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
I was starving for at least the 1st year and put it down to the new low carb diet, but I did get more accustomed to it slowly. But 4 years later.... still hungry, but much less of an issue, unless someone opens something very sweet near to me .... then ... 20 mins later I will devour the fridge!!!

Paul

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Weight is 11 stone and staying steady at that. I was 12 stone before dropping to 10.5 in just under 2 weeks, which is when in decided to see my GP, and got diagnosed.
I'm eating normal meals with a small reduction in the carbs, but I no longer eat sweets like wine gums etc., and only occasionally have chocolate.
I suppose my system is still adjusting to a reduced amount of sugar, and I will get used to it, but I bloody well miss the wine gums.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App