Feeling Sad About My Diabetes

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi to whoever may be reading this post! :)

I have just joined this site in the hope to hear from some of you, who may have shared similar experiences. I have been living with Type 1 Diabetes for six years now and for the most part, I've continued everyday without really thinking too much into it and with the exception of a few little wobbles, without getting upset either. But, just recently...

I've been feeling really down about my diabetes.

Sometimes, I lie in bed at night crying because I'll have to give myself a minimum of 4 injections a day for the rest of my life, because I'll have to count the amount of carbohydrates in my food, stab my fingers 6 times a day to make them bleed and deal with the impacts of a hypo AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!

I don't know where it's come from all of a sudden, but I feel like I'm losing control. It's making me depressed and I really don't know where to turn to for help! Please someone, tell me if you've felt the same way before/ are now? And how you have coped/ are coping? It would make me feel a lot better!

Something that you will probably all be able to relate to as well is that... Diabetes gets no recognition. :stop:I'm not asking for sympathy, but sometimes you need a bit of attention, someone feeling sorry for you, don't? Even if it's just to make you realise how strong you are and give yourself some credit? I saw a Tumblr picture the other day that said 'diabetes is not cancer but...' and then went on to say that it is still a horrible disease that has no end and people don't realise what we have to go through everyday!

Anyway, I suppose I feel better already, for getting all of that out! (And I'm sure I'll be getting a lot more out too, and I'd invite you to do the same). I'm sure I'd also feel even better if somebody was to reply and tell me if they can relate to anything I've said or offer any advice! So, if anybody does happen to see this post, thankyou for reading and please leave me a reply! Thankyou x

Reactions: 6 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're definitely not alone feeling like that. Most (if not all) have gone through those thoughts and emotions. It still gets me when I'm not expecting it. Then I feel even worse because I've let it get me down. Some days you just don't want to talk to anyone. But at the same time you need a release.

At my worst I spoke to my doctor and he started to go down the anti-depressant path. And that was enough to make my snap out of it. But with real depression there is no quick solution.

I hope you have someone you can talk to. If not there's loads of supportive people on here.

It will get better... Remember that.

Message me if you like.

Sam

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been there, more than once. It affects just about every one with diabetes at some time or other.

It can be a hint that it's time to try something new: start a diet, or go on a course, or try a new way of managing diabetes. This can help in feeling like you are more in control. I think a lot of the sadness comes from a feeling that nothing we are doing makes a difference. There are plenty of new tools and new techniques now. Trying some of them can improve your blood sugar control but also cheer you up.

Reactions: 10 people

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Your defo not alone that is exactly how i feel i was diagnosed in my last few weeks of uni jus bout to qualify last year! I am a psychiatric nurse, folk jus look at you n talk like well loads if people have it! I say well loads of folk have cancer but doesnt mean its ok to have it! People dont understand, but the other nite in work at dinner i was injectin, one colleague was like god that must be awful thats such a shame n sayin exactly all the things u said are awful bout it! See jus for someone to be that empathetic about it made all the difference! People jus expect u to fet on with it, n its like loads of folk live years with it! Im like yeah n loads folk die young with it too! People are so ignorant bout it because its not classed as a terminal illness as such! Im totally with u on this one!

Reactions: 3 people

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are so not alone. When I was a teenager I felt really down about being diabetic. Like you I could see constant injections and ill health stretching out ahead of me, and I had had enough.

One day though I woke up feeling different. It was like I had realised "Okay, it will be a short life, plagued by ill health, so I might as well get on and make the best of it.". But you know what, that was 40+ years ago, so my life has definitely not been short. Neither has it been full of ill health. And medicine has also moved on, providing preventative approaches (including blood testing which didn't exist back then) and effective treatments I could never have imagined when I was so down.

I hope things improve for you, like they did for me

Reactions: 4 people

ChrisWoodward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are definitely not alone in your thinking.

This is what keeps me going though, 15 years ago when I got diabetes the treatment for it was awful. Just think where we will be in another 5 years, some of the technology coming out over this time looks amazing and will really make things easier. I obviously dont know how old you are but if you keep yourself as fit and healthy as you can with the rate of development in the treatment of Diabetes it is unlikely that you will have it for the rest of your life, or at least not as you know it now.

Keep smiling, its hard at times just know there are other people out there that feel the same and they care.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been there quite a few times. It gets better and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I think finding groups like these where people can relate to you and advise you are a good step in the right direction. It takes away the isolated feelings you can sometimes get. As much as people mean well, you can't relate to somebody's condition unless you have it yourself.

I hope this group helps you like it has for everyone else :)

All the best, Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In a lot of ways I feel fortunate to have been diagnosed aged three. Diabetes is a part of my life, and I can't imagine life without it. This is how I deal with mine:

As a teenager my control was not good. My DSN knew I was not trying, and said to me 'this is not a game.' In recent years, I have come to disagree with that statement. I feel like I am playing a game, with diabetes as my opponent. I get my score when I test my blood sugars. Obviously the aim is to avoid a high score (or too low a score). To win the game, I inject and eat as healthily as I can.

Type 1 Diabetes is a game that has a lot of parallels with other games we play in life. For instance the game of finances. You try to keep your bank balance at a healthy level. Bills are like insulin: they lower your levels. Work is like food: they push your levels up. Most of us manage to maintain some modicum of balance here, not overworking to the point of heart attacks, and not having too many bills to be riddled with debt. If you can win with finances, you are already achieving a task similar to winning with diabetes.

The main thing to do is to take pride in your diabetes results. If your HBA1C is higher than you would like, see this as a goal to work on. Be thrilled every time you see an improvement. Every time your blood sugars are within healthy levels, you have just won the game. Keep a record of your results, so you can spot trends. Your diabetes doesn't want you to know this, but you are in control. The more you read up and learn about it, the better you can keep it tamed. I would suggest getting a copy of the book carbs and cals, which is a very useful tool for measuring the carbohydrate and protein content of meals. Dr Bernstein's complete diabetes solution has also been of huge use to me.

If you can achieve a balance with diabetes, you may well end up healthier than a non diabetic. We have more medical tests done than the general population, so we can more easily see what we need to work on to stay healthy. You can do this. It's not always easy, but if we put in the effort, we can win the game that is diabetes, and winning this particular game is a feeling that's hard to beat.

Reactions: 19 people

madperson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish-ugh & rudeness
I too have periods of time when I can't get my head around "being diabetic" quite offten I just sit a sob for a bit. It doesn't go away but it does pass, 'til next time. As with a lot of depresive situations having someting to distract you helps, as yet I haven't need medical help, this site is REALLY good for me I can rant to my hearts content & post it if I feel like it or I'm brave enough!
I think that's just how my life will be for now but at least I'm still here- nearly died in May last year from necrotic pancreatitis, hence diabetes- secondary type 1, I always have to be ...lol .

Reactions: 2 people

madperson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish-ugh & rudeness
I too have periods of time when I can't get my head around "being diabetic" quite offten I just sit a sob for a bit. It doesn't go away but it does pass, 'til next time. As with a lot of depresive situations having someting to distract you helps, as yet I haven't need medical help, this site is REALLY good for me I can rant to my hearts content & post it if I feel like it or I'm brave enough!
I think that's just how my life will be for now but at least I'm still here- nearly died in May last year from necrotic pancreatitis, hence diabetes- secondary type 1, I always have to be ...lol .

Twisterr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi to whoever may be reading this post! :)

I have just joined this site in the hope to hear from some of you, who may have shared similar experiences. I have been living with Type 1 Diabetes for six years now and for the most part, I've continued everyday without really thinking too much into it and with the exception of a few little wobbles, without getting upset either. But, just recently...

I've been feeling really down about my diabetes.

Sometimes, I lie in bed at night crying because I'll have to give myself a minimum of 4 injections a day for the rest of my life, because I'll have to count the amount of carbohydrates in my food, stab my fingers 6 times a day to make them bleed and deal with the impacts of a hypo AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!

I don't know where it's come from all of a sudden, but I feel like I'm losing control. It's making me depressed and I really don't know where to turn to for help! Please someone, tell me if you've felt the same way before/ are now? And how you have coped/ are coping? It would make me feel a lot better!

Something that you will probably all be able to relate to as well is that... Diabetes gets no recognition. :stop:I'm not asking for sympathy, but sometimes you need a bit of attention, someone feeling sorry for you, don't? Even if it's just to make you realise how strong you are and give yourself some credit? I saw a Tumblr picture the other day that said 'diabetes is not cancer but...' and then went on to say that it is still a horrible disease that has no end and people don't realise what we have to go through everyday!

Anyway, I suppose I feel better already, for getting all of that out! (And I'm sure I'll be getting a lot more out too, and I'd invite you to do the same). I'm sure I'd also feel even better if somebody was to reply and tell me if they can relate to anything I've said or offer any advice! So, if anybody does happen to see this post, thankyou for reading and please leave me a reply! Thankyou x
Same thing with me all last year (diagnosed jan 2013 ) I was perfectly fine but then this year I started getting really upset and sometimes crying my self to sleep

K

Kat100

Hello nice to meet you,
Yes it is awful I agree with you , a lot of different days of either feeling well or unwell to cope with, what ever type of diabetes you have ....
You really are not alone , great to come here for a chat lots of people have times when they find it hard to cope.
Try and stay positive and set small goals when large goals are just to hard to achieve ....
Share your feelings anytime .....a much better way forward because you will get support .....take care ....Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
1506952_764241486941270_2624510574366589680_n.jpg

Bless you <3 please try and stay strong, we all in it together and sometimes it does take it's toll, I personally find it's the other autoimmune disease's that go with it hard, so yet more pressure .Also finding that 'special' person who will take it all the medical conditions on board and want to be with you, no matter what. But never give up and fight the good fight, I think some serious diabetes butt kicking would be in order.:blackeye: get it out of your system once a week, a stern talking to or take it out on an old pillow or those rubbery stress balls. Keep your chin up and take care x

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, as everyone else has said you most definitely aren't alone in feeling down about diabetes. It's a full time, ever changing, challenging condition and at times it really gets to you.

I used to hate having it and did battle with it all the while but I was always the loser. The longer I have lived with it the more I see it as my life long companion, some days we get along just fine, other days it seriously annoys me and I am ready to bang my head in frustration. I've learnt that it never takes the hint to leave me alone so I've worked out the best way to co- exist. I do everything I can to keep good control and I'm a lot happier for it.

I hope you get support from family and from your diabetes team, you don't have to do it all on your own.

Set little goals to achieve each day and don't beat yourself up over it. All the best.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Same thing with me all last year (diagnosed jan 2013 ) I was perfectly fine but then this year I started getting really upset and sometimes crying my self to sleep

Ahhhhh, try and keep your chin up, we're all here for each other with some help, support and practical advice x Take care x

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

No you are definitely not alone. I get days when I am busy working out a dose and I end up feeling "what's the point?". It is hard, yes the injections and the finger sticks are not a bundle of fun but they could hurt a lot more I guess. It's the constant relentlessness of the condition and the fact that you don't get a holiday from it, you can have someone else do all the work for you, you have to do it all on your own and you have to get it right every time.
The penalties for getting it wrong in either direction just suck and make you feel horrible.
So not it is not fun and it is exhausting so feeling that way I would argue is completely natural and to be expected.

Have you discussed these feelings with your DSN or Dr? Talking about it here is also good too, so I hope it helps you a bit. I feel that it is the fact that we all seem to have to face this alone that maybe is the hardest about it all, no one around you in normal life can really understand it all.

The only way I have managed to deal with it when I get low is I look at each day in isolation. Just get through today, then start all over again the next day. At these times I also try not to get wound up with slip ups, hell if I am not in hospital then I am still doing it right and that is a good thing.

I hope that you start to feel a little better soon, keep up the fight and always know that at least here you have a whole ton of people who know exactly what you are going through.

All the best

/A

Reactions: 11 people

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your defo not alone that is exactly how i feel i was diagnosed in my last few weeks of uni jus bout to qualify last year! I am a psychiatric nurse, folk jus look at you n talk like well loads if people have it! I say well loads of folk have cancer but doesnt mean its ok to have it! People dont understand, but the other nite in work at dinner i was injectin, one colleague was like god that must be awful thats such a shame n sayin exactly all the things u said are awful bout it! See jus for someone to be that empathetic about it made all the difference! People jus expect u to fet on with it, n its like loads of folk live years with it! Im like yeah n loads folk die young with it too! People are so ignorant bout it because its not classed as a terminal illness as such! Im totally with u on this one!

This has been very warming to me and a great comfort to read, so thankyou very much for your support, it seriously means a lot! Thankyou again, so much x

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are so not alone. When I was a teenager I felt really down about being diabetic. Like you I could see constant injections and ill health stretching out ahead of me, and I had had enough.

One day though I woke up feeling different. It was like I had realised "Okay, it will be a short life, plagued by ill health, so I might as well get on and make the best of it.". But you know what, that was 40+ years ago, so my life has definitely not been short. Neither has it been full of ill health. And medicine has also moved on, providing preventative approaches (including blood testing which didn't exist back then) and effective treatments I could never have imagined when I was so down.

I hope things improve for you, like they did for me

Thankyou so much for your comforting words. The support I have received really is overwhelming, so thankyou so much x

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are definitely not alone in your thinking.

This is what keeps me going though, 15 years ago when I got diabetes the treatment for it was awful. Just think where we will be in another 5 years, some of the technology coming out over this time looks amazing and will really make things easier. I obviously dont know how old you are but if you keep yourself as fit and healthy as you can with the rate of development in the treatment of Diabetes it is unlikely that you will have it for the rest of your life, or at least not as you know it now.

Keep smiling, its hard at times just know there are other people out there that feel the same and they care.

Thankyou so much for your comforting words. They really have meant a lot! I will take on your advice. Take care x

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been there quite a few times. It gets better and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I think finding groups like these where people can relate to you and advise you are a good step in the right direction. It takes away the isolated feelings you can sometimes get. As much as people mean well, you can't relate to somebody's condition unless you have it yourself.

I hope this group helps you like it has for everyone else :)

All the best, Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankyou so much for your words Indiana. They have been of great comfort to me! I am truly overwhelmed by this amazing support network, which I only stumbled across yesterday! So, thankyou again, so much. All the best xxxxx