So much work and not getting anywhere

chloe1

Hi everyone,

I feel the need to have a moan, as I am feeling at a loss and really quite down about the amount of effort I'm putting in to my diabetes management - and I am still not getting the results I want.
Type 1 for 8 years. Been through 2 pregnancies and struggling since then. I am getting a pump at the beginning of July but I can't cope with feeling like this for 2 more months.
Had too many hypos at end of last year, but started carb counting and that has improved. I am testing about 6 - 8 times a day. My morning reading is always between 12 and 16, and whatever I do I can't get it lower.
I have split my levemir dose which has brought the lunchtime and evening readings into reasonable numbers. However, I am feeling so exhausted and absolutely STARVING hungry all afternoon and evening. Apparently my bloods show that my thyroid is ok.
I saw my DSN today. I really wanted to talk about how down I was about not being able to improve things, and how awful I have been feeling. She just said increase night time levemir. Your thyroid is ok and come back in July for the pump.
I will do as she says but I can't help feeling more frustrated. I have a feeling my morning readings will still be sky high until I get my pump.
My husband is fed up of me being tired and grumpy. I feel guilty as I don't have energy for my 2 young daughters. I feel like I am going around and around in circles.
Any suggestions from anyone who's been there? If I knew what to do, I would do anything.

Thanks and sorry for the rant

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Small portions of food and Lord of the rings .
I don't think I am the right person to give advice (diagnosed very very recently myself) however, I would make a suggestion that you maybe try some light exercise before bed...maybe cycle or walk for an hour as this will reduce the amount of glycogen in your muscles resulting in your muscles replacing the 'used up' glycogen with glucose from your blood.

As I said it's not advice - but maybe worth a try .

Sam

chloe1

Thanks for replying

I would be worried I'd have a hypo before bed as my levels are below 7 at the moment before I turn in. Last night I was 5.6 going to bed, and 11.8 on waking. I also increased my levemir which doesn't seem to have any effect on waking BG. Although I have had a hypo later on in the morning.
Good advice if I was high before bed though.
It just seems like I can't control what's going on overnight, hoping the pump will help, but it's still a couple of months til I get it.
Just soooo frustrated!

Reactions: 2 people

lucyturniptree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't like beetroot or celery- URGGH
Chloe, I can completely sympathise with you. I had exactly the same problem before I got the pump. I would wake up every morning with a “hangover”. I was told that it is dawn phenomenon. This is a kick back trait from caveman days (or something like that) where some people release a whole load of sugar from their liver overnight (mine is at about 3am) and their blood sugars spike first thing in the morning (give them energy to go and fight bears!!), regardless of what their blood sugars were before bed.

It is REALLY annoying and I have only found 2 ways to stop it from happening: 1. With a pump and 2. By waking up in the middle of the night and injecting a small bolus. Option 2 is not really practical, especially as you said you have kids!

I can only sympathise and say that the pump WILL help. You are nearly there. The wait WILL be worth it, but it won’t be an instant fix. When you get the pump, it will probably take you longer to figure out your basal rates and will probably require a few night time “waking up every hour to test your sugars” sessions. These are HARD. I won’t lie to you, but are essential for sorting out the morning “hangovers”. After some hard work, it will all be sorted, you will look back and not believe how you managed without the pump.

I know it feels at the moment that you are putting a lot of effort in for no reward, it is lousy and I found that all the DSN wanted to say when I expressed this was “if you don’t do it you will be blind when you are older” and spout a load of “long term side effects” rubbish that I already know. I think that it is hard to understand how depressing it feels to be doing everything you possibly can, to understand all the consequences, but still not have it all under control.

As for your husband getting frustrated- tell me about it! My husband was exactly the same. He wouldn’t understand that it was every day I would have my hangover and that I WAS trying and I couldn’t help it. All I can suggest is to sit down and have a chat about it. Let him know how guilty you feel. Perhaps you can work something out.

Hope that everything gets better soon and that your pump works out for you. There is light at the end of the tunnel, you are not the only one and you are doing really well.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mate, what lucyturniptree says. Before the pump I would wake up to test through the night and bolus corrections as needed. **** way to live but I chose to be tired than 'diabetes knackered'.
The pump will seriously help. I waited 4 months from knowing I was getting it to using it. Soon, and it is soon you will feel better. Please hang in there it will be worthwhile. Xxxxx

chloe1

Thank you all for your replies

Sorry I haven't responded yet the kids have been keeping me busy!

Things have been much better over the past week. I have tweaked my levemir dose and if I am slightly high before bed I have been taking 1 or 2 units of novorapid. This has made a huge difference with my morning readings so I am feeling much better!

I realise it will be a lot of work when I get my pump, but I am willing to put the work in as I really want to have good control. It is such a relief to wake up in the morning and have a reading in single figures again.

I am still grumpy with my husband though because he forgot our anniversary!