Weight & Size

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys, so 30 weeks on & things seem to be going quite well. My HBA1C has sat steady at 6.8 for a few months now. My bloods however over the last 6 weeks or so are slightly higher then they have been I stay steady between 6-10 most of the day. But I also have the odd double figures each day too. The Dr's adjust my insulin every 2 weeks but only a small change each time which doesn't seem to b making a difference at all. I was under the impression I'd need a lot more insulin but they seem reluctant to up it all. I've had morning sickness all the way through my pregnancy, it's a nightmare. I have put on 1st 6lbs but lost 3lbs the last couple of weeks. I keep putting on and then losing again...I'm also really quite small for how far on I am. I was under the impression I wld have a huge baby?! Anyone else been the same? Is it the sickness that's keeping me small maybe?!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jhinkson1

Hello
I'm 18 weeks now and have had no sickness. I think i'm about a normal size but everyone can vary. I've put on about a stone but i know that's more due to me having to reduce my exercise. My tummy isn't very large.
I haven't had any changes in my insulin yet, i'm not sure when the insulin requirements increase?
It sounds as if you're doing great and if you are on the small side it probably means you'll have a natural birth which i'm desperate for!

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I haven't had any. I'm measuring fine apparently just at Anti Natal now so all must be fine. They don't seem concerned at all!!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi - I have had two pregnancies and put on 3-4 stone in each, but each time the baby was tiny - both born at 38 w, one was 5.5 lbs, the other was 6lbs. I did keep my bg's low throughout and lots of hypos - reckon I was injecting so much insulin that any sugar in my blood turned to fat in my body, not theirs! Either that or I just make em small. So don't assume you are having a big baby, I think that was true in the old days when bg's were less well controlled in diabetic mothers but if you're on top of the highs you may not.

In my second pregnancy my doctor kept trying to avoid any hypos, as you will know it can be either hypo or high when your pregnant as the middle ground is sooo hard to find, but I always said I didn't mind a few hypos so long as the baby was not exposed to high blood sugar, so I'd inject quite a lot and then eat a bit more when I was feeling low. Not saying this is the best way of doing things, as I did end up yo yo in g a lot, but I had two healthy babies so I must have done something right.

It is difficult, and you will probably find you need a lot more towards the end, I was injecting 30-40u with my meals and before lunchtime no matter how much I injected it would not bring it down (so I had to really restrict my carbs before lunch). So just be prepared for that. Good luck

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Hi Moaney
I'm 29 weeks now and I would say in the last 3 weeks I've gone from looking a bit pregnant to very pregnant - enforced my everyone telling me so! I had no morning sickness and have put on weight steadily since about 12 weeks (almost 2st so far :(). I had my first growth scan last week and they said the baby was the right size. I have another growth scan in 2 weeks. My insulin requirements have increased too including my Levemir which I was told probably wouldn't change (I've gone from 3 to 9.5u at night - still small doses really). My control is pretty good.
I think everyone is different whether you have diabetes or not. It also sounds like everyone's diabetes team is different too so everyone has different experiences.
If your team aren't worried about your baby then try not to worry too much and just keep doing what you're doing. :happy: