Fasting and BG levels

XIX

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right, recently I've been skipping a couple of meals unconsciously due to time constraints and I've noticed that if I don't eat for a prolonged period of time (more than ten hours or so), then my BG drops quite significantly and I have actually hypoed from it. I was just wondering if anyone knows why this decrease happens because as far as I'm aware, the alpha cells in diabetics still work normally so glucagon should be produced when glucose gets too low??

I think I might be honeymooning as I had a bit of pad thai and about two scoops of ice cream at about 4pm without injecting any insulin and my BG just now was 5.3 (no exercise or alcohol either)?! Does anyone know how to prevent hypos - especially overnight - as I'm actually scared to go to sleep now.

Last edited by a moderator:

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This happens to me, but I have an excuse - my whole pancreas was surgically removed, so I know I have no glucagon to rely on. I guess that those Type 1's with pancreas still in situ have no way of knowing if the alpha cells are working? Hopefully someone knowledgeable may have an answer for you :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's nothing to do with beta cell function. It means your basal rate/dose is too high. You have been inadvertently doing a fasting basal rate test. You most likely need to lower your basal and raise your carb ratio. You may need to slightly lower your correction ratio too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people