Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm hoping it'll be lower than that last one (11.7%) at next check- the last was before restarting on the pump and a low carb diet again, but I'm not expecting miracles. The first time I started on a pump and low carb diet, I dropped from over 14% to 7% in just 6 months and it all went so smoothly! This time, first few weeks were great and now I'm finding I have tonnes of hypos and random unexpected highs and there is no logic or pattern to any of it! Grr!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Fingers crossed for you lilyfleur, I am sure you will see a good improvement. I'm in a similar situation to you - started pump shortly before my last Hba1c and started low carbing shortly after.

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my first one since diagnosis yesterday as it was 7.2. My dsn said that's good as it was 10.7 when I was first diagnosed in November. When I asked what I'm aiming for she said 7. Feeling quite pleased that it's come down :)

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8.0% (64) down from 9.7% (83) on 3rd March. I am very pleased. The DSN was amazed with the improvement, and particularly with the improved average blood sugar (down from 10 to 6) and its standard deviation (1.8 now versus 4.8 then) which shows very good stability. I've had 8.0% Hba1c before a few years ago, but that was with poor stability - lots of highs and lows.

Interestingly she had no problem with low carb being part of my arsenal (along with the pump and CGM) and she said just keep on doing what you are doing. She was really impressed by the results.

That's a great shift Spiker. Nobody could say you haven't worked hard for it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my first one since diagnosis yesterday as it was 7.2. My dsn said that's good as it was 10.7 when I was first diagnosed in November. When I asked what I'm aiming for she said 7. Feeling quite pleased that it's come down :)

And a great result for you too Rosie. You must be delighted.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.9 again - same as last time, although my meter averages suggested it would be lower

Mothership

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
dog mess anywhere
42 today, doctor rang to tell me, I have a lovely doctor

tbird37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 mine 44 last week received letter and date to to see nurse and discus results from yearly check up. Was originally 78 last year when first diagnosed then had funny turn ( I think It was a hypo nurse said viral infection had all symptom of hypo blurred vision dizzy bad head feeling sick only lasted 15 minutes had drink of orange juice and chocolate. Went away but still had bad head in morning) near Xmas blood test redone drop to 52 in December was put on metaformin 2 daily said to control my sugar more.

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
5.5 this year, 5.9 last year 6.1 previous time, and I have really good low sensitivity, at 4.5 I really don't feel too good, and that doesn't happen very often, and I test 7 to 10 times per day,

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi Spiker
nice results, I've been away so only seen your figures today.
More evidence that Low card defiantly works.
Did they put a note on the bottom saying
"Spiker is trying hard and has shown some improvement, can do better! ":D :nurse:

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey , I'm new to this forum , have been reading it for a while and decided to join .

I'm 22 years old and I am a type 1 diabetic , have been since I was 7 .

6 months ago my hba1c was 6.4% .
Just recently got my current hba1c results and is now a 6.7% or 50 mol .

But I'm still really pleased with my result .

:):):)

Reactions: 6 people

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi,
Haven't had a test since dx in Nov 2012.
Had a test last February and got the result today (?) and it's 98. I know that's bad, but just how bad?
Should my gp have notified me, rather than have a locum mention it when I went to the surgery about something else?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post on, but I'm a bit panicked at the mo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
5.5 (was peed off as it was 5.2 previously)
Got to be the Strawberry jelly and drinking chocolate mixture Spiker got me to try. :singing: but that was the day before so had not digested yet!:wacky:

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Hi,
Haven't had a test since dx in Nov 2012.
Had a test last February and got the result today (?) and it's 98. I know that's bad, but just how bad?
Should my gp have notified me, rather than have a locum mention it when I went to the surgery about something else?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post on, but I'm a bit panicked at the mo!
Hi Ness,

A HbAc1 of 98 mmol/mol = 11.1% old units. Its equivalent to an average BG of 15.1 mmol/L. That is too high. What information/advice did your GP give when you were diagnosed? Any medication or advice on diet/exercise? I would definitely make an appointment to follow up for another test and ask for a treatment review. Does your practice have a diabetic nurse? In the meantime there is lots of useful information on this site. You may find obtaining a BG meter and monitoring your BG levels yourself very helpful, please ask for one (but some GPs reluctant to prescribe, especially for Type 2).

Reactions: 4 people

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi Oaldgreymare,

Thanks for your reply. I was diagnosed in 2012 and rumbled along well until this year.
Saw my gp in Feb and told him my monitor was measuring from high teens to mid 20's with no apparent reason (no dietary/lifestyle changes). He increased my metformin to 2g daily and added 80mg glicazide.
I asked him if he'd let my endo know and refer me for an appointment, which he refused to do.

I went to the surgery yesterday and saw a locum, who pointed out the hbAc 1 test result, I just wondered if, once my gp had the test result, he should have made the referral, as my endo appt has been postponed until 31st July.

Sorry if it's all a bit rambling, but I really don't want to encounter the complications that can result from chronic high bg. I've tried to get an earlier endo appointment, but they won't make one without a letter from my gp - I feel as if I'm going around in circles.