Blood sugars drop after taking 3 gluco tabs

Keira Steven

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My grandaughter has type 1 diabetes and twice now she has had low blood gluco levels (3.2) and taken 3 gluco tablets waited 15min and retested only to discover her
blood gluco level had droped to 2.9, she then takes 3 more gluco tabs waites 15min, retests and her blood come up to 6.9ish. We are told by medical people that this cannot happen

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Keira

That must have been scary. How old us your granddaughter is she newly diagnosed? What was her insulin dosage? I've had similar occurrences and how she handled it is textbook perfect.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Of course it can.. It just means that the childs bloods were teally dropping fast and on those occasions she just needed more tabs.....depends may be because of something like exercise before or during or can be from just not having enough food or just too much insulin.

Nobody can deem how low the bg could have been dropping down to, so sometimes this can happen..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

sicko666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Textbook medical profesionals! Narrow minded people.
Keira Steven theres no need to worry like has been said before it takes time for the glucose to get into the blood, she may have needed 6 tabs instead of the origional 3 because her body was still burning energy or she had something in her tummy all ready that was slowing down her orbsorbing the tabs,or she has a high level of insulin in her at that time, or she was this or that...Its a balancing act between all the various things, insulin,suger levels,excersice,heat,illness,foods,etc.... It just takes time to get to know these things and how they react with each other in your granddaughter every bodies different its just a case of trial and error, she will get to know what works for her and so will you it just takes time, dont worry too much i have had it since a baby and 39years later i am still here.....After all you now know that if your granddaughter is doing what she was doing again and she gets a blood reading like that again you now know to give her 6 tabs instad of 3. Soon it will become intinctual and it will not seem so scary, just give it time. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bills no sleep
I suffer from brittle diabetes which my sugars can drop or go up drastically in a short space of time and sometimes I have hypos and I treat them with glucose tabs and can still drop but I have been told the it is due to me having BRITTLE diabetes might be worth checking out and also if the sugars doesn't rise try hypo stop which can be subscribed but only use half a bottle it seems to work for me eventually.