Could it be the Lantus?

Dinky

Hello, I need some advice, this might be a bit long so please bear with me,

I'm Type 2, and have been on various medications since diagnosis. Up until last year I was on Victoza but developed an allergic reaction to it so was put on Lantus. All seemed to be going well until February of this year. The entire left side of my body went numb and my left leg just wouldn't work. It was a painful numbness (if that makes sense) and obviously quite upsetting to have no feeling. I went to my doctor who told me I had golfer's elbow (?!), prescribed ibuprofen and sent me on my way. This was in March and I have been unable to leave my house since.

Along with the numbness there was a tight, feeling in my stomach which was also hard. It felt like someone was pressing down on me. I was struggling to inject myself my stomach was so hard so I stopped taking the Lantus. Lo and behold my symptoms started to recede! Deciding it was just coincidence I started taking it again only to feel like my symptoms were returning, so I stopped again. Symptoms faded and I was even able to leave the house once! In the past week I decided to try taking it again because my sugars have been quite high, and my symptoms are definitely returning.

I guess I just want to know if these symptoms could be caused by the Lantus before I even think about trying to get it changed. I don't want to call up my DSN and be told I'm being ridiculous and have them refuse to help. I've read on here the various problems other people have had with Lantus but nothing specifically describes the numbness I've been experiencing. I'm at my wits end and so fed up :(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't say if it is or isn't, but I would DEFINITELY be returning to your GP and discussing the possibility of a reaction to lantus with your DSN or consultant. Don't just stop taking as you have said yourself it makes your sugars high.

Make that appointment today!

Dinky

I'm so reluctant to go back to a GP that sees body numbness and diagnoses golfer's elbow. I know you're right and I need to deal with it. I guess I'm just anxious about going back to my DSN *again* with yet another medication problem. Like I'm worried she'll think I'm faking or something.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely not, I doubt they would assume you're faking. If you have a problem it is your right to have it seen to. You should see them both just in case it's not a diabetes related issue

Stand your ground at the GP. He gave his opinion and it was clearly wrong. Now he has to reevaluate the situation
(I say he.... It could be she lol)

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to hear about your symptoms, quick reply as I'm out but I had severe aching arms and legs off lantus, and once I switched to levemir I felt normal again.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

IkariWarrior

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Has that thread in the link above been deleted for some reason? As I was going to post in that - but it just takes me back to the Forums home page when I click on it.
I may be having problems with Lantus too. :(

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin