Calculating insulin dose

rads41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone!
It's been a roller coaster of a few weeks - morning sugars went from 7s to 12s. 13.9 this morning :-(
Looks like there are definitely some carbs that I'm more intolerant to.....so my question is this - I'm currently on a 2:1 quick acting insulin ratio. If I know there are some carbs I'm more intolerant to, instead of completely cutting them out, can I increase my ratio just for those meals?
Advice appreciated!
Thanks
Rads

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You can vary your dose of QA insulin for different foods if you are carb counting. I would double check with your DSN though as well. So, is your current ratio 2 units of insulin to 1g of carb ? Seems very high or have I read your 2:1 wrong ? I would be more inclined to avoid the foods that cause unacceptable spikes though rather than take more insulin. This is your bodies way of telling you that you don't tolerate those particular foods very well.

Reactions: 2 people

rads41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your answer, no unfortunately you're correct - it's 2 units of insulin per gram of carbs....it is high, guess I'm really insulin resistant..

rads41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your answer, no unfortunately you're correct - it's 2 units of insulin per gram of carbs....it is high, guess I'm really insulin resistant..

I'm such a duffus, I meant 2 units of insulin per 10g of carbs! No wonder you thought it was high Mo! 1905!
On the upside had a small baked potato for dinner last night, went to bed 7.7 and woke up 8.7 which is better than it has been for a bit :)