Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
My mother told me I was a diabetic because I was fat, I was pregnant with gestational diabetes, at the time, and then my doctor told me my pancreas had stopped functioning .

Sounds like mine... we're not related..?

Reactions: 2 people

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was diagnosed last year at 33 i was asked by a friend, since i go to the gym a lot and have always kept slim, eat fairly healthy, "so what will happen, will u still stay slim or become fat"! Pmsl

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mybe someone should consult in Hollywood for correctness of diabetics like everything else

I watched a frankly awful film called "Hansel and Gretel - Witch Hunters" (I know, I know ...)

Hansel suffered from "Sugar Disease " caused by being force fed sweets by the witch in the gingerbread house as a boy. This necessitated him wearing a timer. When the timer went off, he had seconds in which to violently inject himself with a syringe the size of a silicone gun with the force of a pile driver or else he would die. In one scene, he leaves his 20lb syringe behind him, and is chased by Gretel through the woods calling his name and brandishing the syringe At which point I muttered "Hell...any sane person would run like **** too ":eek:

Signy

Reactions: 6 people

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mum still buys me a tin of biscuits at Christmas. Although last year as a family she bought 4 multipack of Oddities too. :/

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Couple of weeks ago I was struggling down flats steps with large handbag, laptop & shopping bag. Neighbours friend asked if he could help me. Asked him if he would mind taking my handbag as that was the heaviest. Picked it up & said "Wow that is heavy". I said that's cos I carry a lot of stuff round cos I'm diabetic. "Diabetic?" he screeched, threw down my handbag, ran down the stairs & bolted down the road. Standing on the stairs bemusedly I thought to myself , I'm sure I said I had diabetes, not the plague!! Had to laugh if not I think I might of cried!!

Smartie xx

Reactions: 9 people

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"You couldn't have had your pancreas removed or they would've done that for Hayley on Coronation Street"...........!!!!

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
From a surgeon I've lnown personally for 10+ years ... "Diabetics shouldn't eat that" - 1 pancake, 1 kiwi fruit, 4 halves of strawberries and 15 blueberries.. And clotted cream...

After I had been working solid digging in his garden for 3 hours and a further 3 hours to go..

He known me 10+ years and should know that I balance my levels to my work and carbs to my workload....

madperson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish-ugh & rudeness
The best I've been told is "oh! I've got the opposite of that I need to tet my blood sugar every day as well" I thought the opposite was "normal", some people, prehaps, just need a little shake......

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
"You're on a pump, you must have it really bad"

My response- no actually I am a very lucky diabetic that has been lucky enough to get the latest technology for type 1 diabetics....

Reactions: 7 people

Diabeticpro

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They said that i'm kind of person that have everything i want but that's is an eternal unhappy ... They didn't know that's i suffer from diabetes problem !

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife likes the show 2 Broke Girls (I don't by the way) and in an episode a few weeks ago there was a diabetic character who had a hypo, collapsed on the floor yet they miraculously revived him instantly by injecting him with insulin. I sighed and went to make myself a cup of tea and made a note never to tell anyone where I keep my insulin in case they try this stunt.

The is an pilot show on Amazon Prime that gets it right (can't remember the name of the show) .. A group of people are trapped and on old lady starts to complain of not feeling well, and then collapses. They search her hand bag, and find sachets of sugar, which they then pour into her mouth.

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The is an pilot show on Amazon Prime that gets it right (can't remember the name of the show) .. A group of people are trapped and on old lady starts to complain of not feeling well, and then collapses. They search her hand bag, and find sachets of sugar, which they then pour into her mouth.
At least that's more accurate than injecting her with insulin. I mean that's actually a plausible situation and the right thing to do in the circumstances.

Miraculously sent via Diabetes Forum App. Probably on the 4th or 5th try :-/

Josef1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Antibodies >_<!
  1. Oh now you are a true citizen since almost everyone in my country has diabetes type 1 & 2 and now 1.5 ...its frekin crazy :meh:
  2. :banghead:
  3. Oh now we cook your launch with grandma's food because she too has diabetes with injection :wacky:
  4. :confused:
  5. Do you have AIDS!!! :grumpy:
  6. :meh:
  7. Insulin what is that? :mad:
  8. :shifty:
  9. Pancreas ...Pancreas...what does it do? :sour:
  10. :bored:
  11. Are you doing Drugs? :bigtears:
  12. :nailbiting:
  13. Or just simply Staring at me while I take the injection :wideyed:
  14. :clown:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my virginity taken by a well known recording engineer/producer the other week when diabetes came up in a conversation & unusually I admitted to being diabetic... "is that the good diabetes or the ba".... Yep, I cut him short & got all militant on his ****....

Reactions: 3 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
My clueless partner asking me what my bs is as I test, I reply 16,1 he says that's ok just drink some of your lucazade like the nurse told u..........:dead: I've given up trying to explain it to him.......

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my virginity taken by a well known recording engineer/producer the other week when diabetes came up in a conversation & unusually I admitted to being diabetic... "is that the good diabetes or the ba".... Yep, I cut him short & got all militant on his ****....
Do you remember Brass Eye's very cutting "But do you have Good AIDS or Bad AIDS?" satire talk show?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you remember Brass Eye's very cutting "But do you have Good AIDS or Bad AIDS?" satire talk show?

I do indeed sir...! Got the series on deevdah as well as Today's the day.. & can pretty much quote it all word for word...! ;)

Lol "back street dentists".... :)

Reactions: 2 people