Feeling sad lost and confused

Diabeticpro

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone i am new in this site :) ... I am facing difficult moments this year and i really need some helps plz
I have been diagnosis diabetic person at the age of 12 i have been doing only diet for a year and a half
Then i move to insulin treatment
I used to do only one injection a day before dinner i started doing 18 then 24 ... I arrived to 30 ( the insulin is a lantus one )
This year my glycemia was so high and after doing an HbA1c it was elevated to : 10.3 % it was in january , so my doctor add to me another injections
Now i am doing four injections a day
Morning : 8 nova alctrapid
Lunch : 12 nova alctrapid
Dinner : before 8 nova alctrapid
After dinner 26 lantus
And even that my glycymia is still high ( in the day it's okay ... But when i do it in the morning ay ay )
I have recently do a HbA1c : 7.3 %
What i noticed too after starting this new treatment : i gain enormously in weight when i started just lantus insulin i was 39 for 1m55 then i arrived to 48 my doctor told it was normal because doing only diet made me lose a lot of weight
After starting the nova insulin i was 49 or 59 , i gain approximatively 10 kg in just 5 months
Now i am 60 kg for 1m62 and i wasn't able to diminish even some grams it's impossible ... I practice a lot of sports ( it's just recently ) but i didn't lose , that make me sad angry and stressed
Besides of that i feel uncomfortable with my friends ( only my parents know about my sickness) and i am so desperated , i want to lose this 10 kg i want to be normal and i know that's i am not normal my glycemia is not my weight too , physically and morally i am exhausted
I don't understand why
This last period i am losing control i am cheating eating prohibit supply ! And it's like i am saying it's almost late
So please i need some help ... Give me some advice i really don't know what to do
Sorry about my english i don't master it well

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on lantus for a few years and I put on a lot of weight during this time. Of course, my consultant did not tell me at the time that the insulin triggers weight gain. So I asked to try another background insulin. I was then moved on to Determir (Levemir). The weight gain slowed down but did not stop. Can you ask for your background insulin to be changed? Hope things improve for you.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I think that your doctor is right that not having any insulin made you lose weight. You really are at a healthy weight for your age and height,
(http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx )
With T1 you don't have to think of yourself as having a sickness. Yes we do have a condition that we have to take account of but if we do that we can anything that other people . There are people who have won gold medals at the Olympics who have T1.
But if we're going to live an active life we need to take care of ourselves and that includes taking insulin and eating a healthy diet..
It would be great if you were able to tell your friends about your diabetes, it really isn't something that you should hide.
I realise that isn't always easy in some countries though.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know you feel like you are the only one. Have a read of the other teens here that have gone onto insulin. It came as a heck of a shock when they put on health weight, because it happened so quickly the self image hasn't got time to catch up. You really do feel you are fat even though all the numbers say you are in the normal range.

now what you need to know is that you can control your healthy weight through how many carbs you eat, you can keep your weight stable or put some on or take some off. you of course have to alter the insulin to match the carb intake. Your nurse will help you work it out.
as you have been diet controlled you might know enough about carb counting already.

can I suggest you keep your weight stable for a month or 2, so you can get use to the new healthy you? then decide what you would like to do

Diabeticpro

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't speak about my ilness ... Bcz i'm afraid of being isolated or considered as a weak person :/ and i don't tell this to the rest of family to not make them worry about me ... Bcz when i was diagnosis diabetic my parents were astonished and just seeing them like that make my mind up prefering to hide this ilness ( even when i am with my cousins or uncles i am obliged to act like an ordinary person :/ )

Diabeticpro

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I generally don't eat a lot i eat only fruit and vegetables to avoid hypo i eat fruits ( strawberry exp ) sometimes i eat cheese and rarely to eat cake's and such things :)
Yeah i will try to keep the same weight
Thank's for proposing some help :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have to eat more than you want, you may be on too much insulin? ask you nurse about reducing your nova and going on a T1 course to adjust your insulin to what your meal is in carb numbers.

I'm on the LCHF keto diet and eat till I'm satisfied. I wouldn't recommend that for a growing teen, but 40% carb 40% fat and 20% protein sounds a good healthy mix. Ask for a dietician who can help, most want more carb and less fat and generally max at 35% fat.
I found I had to count all fruit, grain, grain product like bread and pasta, starchy veg like potato, and as a T2 ate to my meter to make sure I didn't spike

have a look at all the things you can eat without concern, and cheese is good, and you can eat more carbs than this too
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

there is a good app called my fitness pal, that you can enter your details into and what you eat. It will work out for you the carbs fat and protein. you can set it up to be stable or gain or lose weight
http://www.techradar.com/au/news/world-of-tech/7-best-diet-apps-for-iphone-and-android-1161222

I think you will feel better when you feel more in control of this, it's important to talk to other teens on the teens forum here and facebook and twitter. mixing with peers who understand what you are going through will help

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed I put on 5lbs in one week!! This made me extremely upset because I had been eating really well and just didn't understand why... My nurse had told me to have 4units before breakfast and lunch and then 5units before tea. I realised that I was giving my self to much insulin to the amount of carbs I was eating and I think that's what made me put the weight on, I started carb counting straight away and now 4 weeks in I've lost the gained weight and feel so much more in control. You definitely need to speak to your dietician about carb counting (which means matching the units of insulin to the grams of carbs- my ratio is 1unit:10g).

Also you shouldn't be embarrassed and it doesn't make you a weak person. If anything it makes you so much stronger, you deal with this condition every day of your life and come out fighting. Look at this as a positive thing, if you can control your BG through a healthy diet, insulin and exercise then yes you do have to inject but you will be so much healthier and stronger than your friends. Having diabetes does not limit us in anyway it just makes us more interesting ;) xxx

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to talk to your DN about carb-counting so that you adjust your rapid insulin to the food you want to eat not what you must eat. Weight gain will happen with insulin if you have too many carbs; carb-counting should help you reduce this. If your morning blood sugar is too high it suggests your Basal insulin needs to be increased or your total carbs reduced? If your DN has imposed a fixed number of shots then discuss the changes with her. 26 shots of Lantus is a bit on the high side and would encourage weight gain? Your 60Kg of weight is not very high, but only you can know what your best weight should be.

Reactions: 3 people

Peanut1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone i am new in this site :) ... I am facing difficult moments this year and i really need some helps plz
I have been diagnosis diabetic person at the age of 12 i have been doing only diet for a year and a half
Then i move to insulin treatment
I used to do only one injection a day before dinner i started doing 18 then 24 ... I arrived to 30 ( the insulin is a lantus one )
This year my glycemia was so high and after doing an HbA1c it was elevated to : 10.3 % it was in january , so my doctor add to me another injections
Now i am doing four injections a day
Morning : 8 nova alctrapid
Lunch : 12 nova alctrapid
Dinner : before 8 nova alctrapid
After dinner 26 lantus
And even that my glycymia is still high ( in the day it's okay ... But when i do it in the morning ay ay )
I have recently do a HbA1c : 7.3 %
What i noticed too after starting this new treatment : i gain enormously in weight when i started just lantus insulin i was 39 for 1m55 then i arrived to 48 my doctor told it was normal because doing only diet made me lose a lot of weight
After starting the nova insulin i was 49 or 59 , i gain approximatively 10 kg in just 5 months
Now i am 60 kg for 1m62 and i wasn't able to diminish even some grams it's impossible ... I practice a lot of sports ( it's just recently ) but i didn't lose , that make me sad angry and stressed
Besides of that i feel uncomfortable with my friends ( only my parents know about my sickness) and i am so desperated , i want to lose this 10 kg i want to be normal and i know that's i am not normal my glycemia is not my weight too , physically and morally i am exhausted
I don't understand why
This last period i am losing control i am cheating eating prohibit supply ! And it's like i am saying it's almost late
So please i need some help ... Give me some advice i really don't know what to do
Sorry about my english i don't master it well

10000000% having no insulin causes weight loss !! Insulin is a hormone that opens the doors to the cells in your muscles . Without insulin the food u eat simply does nothing for u. No / too little insulin = no energy . Good luck :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't speak about my ilness ... Bcz i'm afraid of being isolated or considered as a weak person :/ and i don't tell this to the rest of family to not make them worry about me ... Bcz when i was diagnosis diabetic my parents were astonished and just seeing them like that make my mind up prefering to hide this ilness ( even when i am with my cousins or uncles i am obliged to act like an ordinary person :/ )

There are a lot of diabetics on here that understand this...

It is possible to maintain & control weight while having a healthy diabetes control..
You are not weak. Your strength is in understanding diabetes..

Good luck!

Diabeticpro

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank's ... Being a diabetic person is not a problem i am really complexed about my weight and other persons judge me hardly without knowing my problems that's really make me hate myself my body ... And i get nervous stressed against people i love most ( like my parents ) so i bake my pain up and say hurting words after taking conscious i discover that's am acting selfishly like a monster. Such persons suffers enough of saying me like that they don't deserve this and that's make me hate myself more and more ...

Josef1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Antibodies >_<!
Hello :p

1. You should Smile more often :woot:
  2. Smile:jimlad:
  3. Do not be ashamed of being diabetic :chicken:
  4. Smile:singing:
  5. Do not fight with your parents :cat:
  6. Smile

I take injections in public I don't care what others might think :pompous:

:) ;) :( :mad: :confused: :cool: :p :D :eek: :oops: :rolleyes: o_O :angelic: :arghh: :bag: :depressed: :dead: :cyclops: :couchpotato: :coldfeet: :clown: :chicken: :cat: :brb: :borg: :bored: :bookworm: :blackeye: :bigtears: :banghead: :doctor: :dummy: :dummy1: :facepalm: :greedy: :grumpy: :happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::brb::brb::brb::brb::brb::brb::brb::brb::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::brb::spam::mask::mask::mask::mask::mask::mask::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::mask::mask::mask::mask::mask::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::mask::mask::mask::mask:

LOL

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank's ... Being a diabetic person is not a problem i am really complexed about my weight and other persons judge me hardly without knowing my problems that's really make me hate myself my body ... And i get nervous stressed against people i love most ( like my parents ) so i bake my pain up and say hurting words after taking conscious i discover that's am acting selfishly like a monster. Such persons suffers enough of saying me like that they don't deserve this and that's make me hate myself more and more ...

Lol. That's just being a teenager...! I don't know which country you are from? But it's the same the world over..
Your parents will forgive you, when you forgive yourself...

I'll take my injections "back stage" this weekend while other rock bands destroy themselves....! \m/

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi diabeticpro,

So sorry you're having difficulty coping with your diabetes. Really you mustn't be so hard on yourself. I appreciate that different cultures can have different attitudes to conditions like diabetes - sometimes making it harder to accept for both you and family members. May I ask whereabouts you are from?

In relation to your weight, do you have an understanding that carbohydrates raise your blood glucose levels? Do you match your injections with your food to the number of carbohydrates you eat?
Injecting lots of insulin can cause you to put on weight, so have you thought about cutting down on the number of carbohydrates you eat (fruit, potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc) and instead eat more protein and fat (meats, eggs, fish, cheese, eggs, green vegetables and salad). That way you don't need to inject as much insulin with your meals.

Perhaps if you can get a better understanding of your diabetes you will feel more in control, and grow in confidence - hopefully your weight will then become less of a focus for you. Although it is good to watch your weight, it is far more important to pay attention to managing your blood glucose levels so that you remain healthy and live a complication free life.

Reactions: 3 people