Coconut Flour - and what to do with it

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I bought some coconut flour from Amazon (quite expensive with the postage, it was) as I love pancakes and thought I'd try to make them with coconut flour (thinking that it would be similar to wheat flour), but they were not really very nice.

I also made Cath99's butter biscuits today, but did not enjoy them. They tasted like sawdust. I eat one and threw the rest away.

What can I do with coconut flour? Has anybody got a good recipe? As I have got it, I might as well use it.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Warning - I tried Yorkshire puddings with it.....Please don't make that mistake!!

Doug

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There must be something we can use it for that doesn't taste like sawdust.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Try a 3 min microwave cake, in a microwave tub, I reuse an old takeaway tub, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, whilst it cools mix 2 tablespoons of coconut flour with 1-2 tablespoons sweetener, half a table spoon of baking powder, and if you want some cocoa powder. Now into the butter crack 2 eggs and beat, add a drop of vanilla then add the flour mix and beat, if it looks too stodgy add a bit of milk. Microwave for 3 mins.

you can play with flavourings and even add a cream cheese topping like frosting if you want,

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a bit disappointed in the coconut flour being so high in carb so I don't use it much. I works well as thickener though, particularly in curries.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Try a 3 min microwave cake, in a microwave tub, I reuse an old takeaway tub, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, whilst it cools mix 2 tablespoons of coconut flour with 1-2 tablespoons sweetener, half a table spoon of baking powder, and if you want some cocoa powder. Now into the butter crack 2 eggs and beat, add a drop of vanilla then add the flour mix and beat, if it looks too stodgy add a bit of milk. Microwave for 3 mins.

you can play with flavourings and even add a cream cheese topping like frosting if you want,

Thanks, Lenny. I'll try that tomorrow. It does sound good

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was a bit disappointed in the coconut flour being so high in carb so I don't use it much. I works well as thickener though, particularly in curries.

That's a good idea. Never thought of using it as thickener. I had been wondering how to thicken sauces.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a good idea. Never thought of using it as thickener. I had been wondering how to thicken sauces.
Thickener: Reduce cream, use egg yolk, or cream cheese. Or coconut flour, or almond flour/ground almonds. Or combinations.

Reactions: 5 people

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it in soups to thicken them instead of flour! Turns out fine, I usually add in a carton of cream to the soup too (I make enough for a football team!) there's only me and my oh, but he loves third days soup!! Give it a try and see how it goes, I love it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I use it in soups to thicken them instead of flour! Turns out fine, I usually add in a carton of cream to the soup too (I make enough for a football team!) there's only me and my oh, but he loves third days soup!! Give it a try and see how it goes, I love it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

thanks, I will try that. Must get into the habit of buying cream. Although I've added more fat to my low carb diet, the habit of not having cream is so deeply ingrained that I usually walk away from the supermarket without buying it.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found no need to buy the flour, it's really just desiccated coconut ground finer, the same with the almond flour, i stick almonds in the food processor and it comes out ok.
I use coconut as a filler with mixed flour. flax, almond, chickpea and soy etc, though I have seen it baked with whisked egg whites for sweets

magriffe1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've recently been making 'energy balls'. Some of the recipes include ingredients like dessicated coconut and ground almonds. They're great for a mid-morning snack. You should be able to find recipes on the internet. The only trouble with them is that they are so delicious that one at a time is never enough.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found no need to buy the flour, it's really just desiccated coconut ground finer, the same with the almond flour, i stick almonds in the food processor and it comes out ok.
I use coconut as a filler with mixed flour. flax, almond, chickpea and soy etc, though I have seen it baked with whisked egg whites for sweets
Lucky you. The coconut flour I got was probably waste after making coconut oil, very low in fat and comparably high in carbs.