Might be in trouble

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
I hope someone is online right now to help.
I have a fasting blood test tomorrow/today (04/06/14 at 0800...Im on nights so not been able to eat since 2100.

Not feeling too clever so did a test and its 4.7 which is starting to get low for me.

Im worried as I still have 5 hours left on my shift and I have to ride a motorcycle home.

What can I do???

AndyH71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm no expert but I'd eat something and reschedule the blood test. You don't want to risk your levels getting too low when riding home in the morning. I do nights myself and know how dopy other drivers can be first thing!

Type 2 newbie
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
trouble is I am over due the test due to GPs not know what to do. Also appointment made for results and other things in 7 days. hard enough getting appointments with the gestapo as it is lol

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have something to eat and book an afternoon blood test after you have a sleep, you could even go to the hospital out of hours if need be, as a shiftworker, they have to work with you too, do they want an 8 or 12 hr fast?
you can also run a basal test, because you may be too much and need adjusting

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this the first time you have been this low, or just the first time you have tested at this time of night?

Apologies. I just edited as you already said you feel a bit off.

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
lowest was 3.7 and it wipped me out. 4.7 is about right but at the end of my shift not in the middle. Its the ride home that worries me if it continues to drop. been told that anything below 5 and I shouldnt ride.
Not that its stopped me as long as I am 5 minutes or so from home I manage. but I never ride below 4.5

Cheers guys for the help I just don't want to miss this appointment as they are A holes lol

Also to top it off not got any food with me so well stuffed (Or Not)

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Just been told nothing but water from 9pm the night before

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
12 hr fast then. have something to eat, even someones leftover or a sugar drink. and add 12 hrs and book an appointment, it's only to draw blood, so they should be able to squeeze you in, or go to the hospital to get them to draw the blood
if your basal dose is too high, you wont be able to do a 12 hr fast without hypo

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jack, the OP is on Metformin.

Tigger. I thought the "5 to drive" was for those on drugs which can potentially induce hypos, and I don't believe Metformin is in that group. I would ask when you see your nurse or doctor, as I could be wrong.

I am very regularly in the 3s, without any issue whatsoever. In fact, of my last 20 readings, only 8 have been 4 or higher. That's a bit lower than usual, to be fair, but my scores are just pretty flat-lining at present. I would urge you not to be too scared by low numbers, when you feel well.

I'm on no,meds, but if I'm not supposed to drive under 5, I'd have to be on permanent-pig out on carbs.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
12 hr fast then. have something to eat, even someones leftover or a sugar drink. and add 12 hrs and book an appointment, it's only to draw blood, so they should be able to squeeze you in, or go to the hospital to get them to draw the blood
if your basal dose is too high, you wont be able to do a 12 hr fast without hypo

I can't imagine A&E being too chuffed with someone rocking up, asking for a routine blood test to be taken, can you? Really?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LOL, BIG MISTAKE. trigger, you should be fine, you aren't going to hypo, unless you haven't been eating properly, starvation diet for a month
although you may feel like it is your sugar hasn't been this low
google metformin and hypo

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Not scared normally and they never drop below 4 unless I have gone without food for any length of time. The trouble is when I go below I end up feeling ****. Shakes. Disorientated etc and no way can I ride home like that.
My tester warns me at 3.9.
I appreciate the help guys. Just a little worried as I am a lone worker too

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if I was a T1 who needed blood results for other booked appointments relying on results in this situation, a 12 hr fast out of hours. I would expect our A&E to take the blood and process it through the hospital lab. we rock up to A&E here with a sniffle cold out of hours.
a T2 could do it too,
though personally I wouldn't, I would have booked a late afternoon appointment and had my last meal at 2-4am on nightshift, but that's easy after the fact,

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
UPDATE.
Panic over lol
Thank you for your kind words and support.
I tested again and it shot up to 5.8
So I take it this is a liver dump thing?
Before my shift ends I will see what its at. I know I feel **** when below 4 and think its dangerous for me to ride below that. Personal choice.
Thanks again
Take care
Tigger

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not scared normally and they never drop below 4 unless I have gone without food for any length of time. The trouble is when I go below I end up feeling ****. Shakes. Disorientated etc and no way can I ride home like that.
My tester warns me at 3.9.
I appreciate the help guys. Just a little worried as I am a lone worker too
you are basing your stuff on T1's on insulin, it's a different ball game.
a t2 on metformin should be seeing under 5 and under 4 after not eating, I've seen 3.5 before my liver triggered to dump sugar, it's one for the books if you will go under 3 and will be a famous person
you can ride your bike under 5 unless you are on insulin or a couple of the oral drugs that can cause hypo by stimulating the pancreas

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
having a false hypo symptom you shouldn't ride your bike, but legally you can. as a T2 on metformin, you don't have to take into account the rule about over 5

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Jack, the OP is on Metformin.

Tigger. I thought the "5 to drive" was for those on drugs which can potentially induce hypos, and I don't believe Metformin is in that group. I would ask when you see your nurse or doctor, as I could be wrong.

I am very regularly in the 3s, without any issue whatsoever. In fact, of my last 20 readings, only 8 have been 4 or higher. That's a bit lower than usual, to be fair, but my scores are just pretty flat-lining at present. I would urge you not to be too scared by low numbers, when you feel well.

I'm on no,meds, but if I'm not supposed to drive under 5, I'd have to be on permanent-pig out on carbs.
Just noticed, that you get regular readings in the threes, have you been told why? I had regular hypos, and found to be hypoglycaemic, the NHS according to my consultant reckon anything under 3.5 is a hypo. My natural levels are between 4 & 5.

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Thanks. I was told anything under 5 you couldn't drive and under 4 was hypo. But now im told I don't get hypos. Bloody feels like it and trust me there is no way am I ridding a motorbike under 4 when I feel like ****

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Seems to be too many conflicting reports going on all over the place no wonder im confused.com lol