Foody times

ejstonier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

New here, only been diagnosed about 3 weeks now and have already been to my first diabetes education session, 2nd one 2moro.

Although it was good advice on diet, I find it all easier said than done. Since being diagnosed all I seem to want to do is eat bad food, which is strange as I am on metformin.

I have been on metformin for 2 weeks now, 1x daily at breakfast. DN wanted me to start 2x daily today so I have. My problem is that my sugars are constantly high so I was expecting a lowering over time.

But yesterday I had granary toast for breakfast and took my BG 2 hours after eating and it was 18.6. Surely this is way too high for being on metformin.

Any advice? Wish I could just stop eating!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1401834328.469531.jpg

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You have found the right place for good advice from people in the same boat as yourself.

Metformin is a good safe drug, but has limited affect on glucose levels. It isn't a miracle cure. The only way to reduce your glucose levels is by reducing carbohydrates drastically, exercise, and weight loss.

Sadly, the dietary advice dished out by the NHS is very poor. I bet you have been told to eat plenty of bread and other starchy carbs, and cut down on fat? The correct advice is to avoid or seriously reduce the amount of bread (any colour), potatoes, pasta, rice, pastry, batter, and a lot of fruits.

You have done the right thing by getting a meter (or were you lucky enough to get one from your nurse?). Only by testing before a meal and 2 hours after will you learn which foods and meals your body can cope with. It is all trial and error, it is a long learning curve, and will take a longish time to get your head round it. Please have a read round this forum and ask any questions you have. Baby steps ..... don't panic. You will get there in the end.

Lovely photo by the way. xx

ejstonier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ha ha thank you very much!

You are so right, I have been told that I must eat carbs with every meal. That's odd that they are giving out wrong info.

I was one of those lucky enough to get a monitor but I had to ask for it! It's not an all singing all dancing one though.

I just keep worrying that I will end up on insulin because I can't get sugars down (but obviously not enough to put the bad food down ) :(

It's good to have a place like this to ask questions. Although family are supportive, they don't fully understand x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do read the 'Low Carb' section of the forum. You will find so much helpful advice to assist in changing your lifestyle.

There is no instant cure or quick fix but with a little patience and determination you will make it.

Keep asking questions. We have all been there and are all here to help

Type 2. Was out of control till I found this forum. Low Carb and testing saved me. Glucophage 1 per day down from 4. HBa1c down to 36

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi and welcome ,
I totally agree with the advice given to you, read the forums on LCHF, Low Carb and Diets.
Low Carb is defiantly worth trying, as it helps control Blood Sugar, and reducing weight. Even better if you add exercise to the diet.
Metformin does take a few weeks to work , so keep going. If you have any tummy problems try and take it with food
Good Luck