Might be in trouble

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Until I have proved that I can keep my levels within norms, I am on meds, my consultant won't let me drive!
However as I have never passed my test, I disregard his advice. Ha,
Just be careful mate!

I was told by my MD that I should not be getting hypos. Until I had one in front of her, two hours after eating!

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
I have a meter that proves my numbers. I get told you can't get a hypo as a T2 on metformin yet the figures show otherwise. Cant win lol

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You most certainly can. I was taken off metformin because of my consistent hypos. When your BSLs normalise, you can reduce the number of meteor in you take. Diet is the best control for me as I can't have highs.

Off to work now, read up on the forum about this topic, there is plenty of good advice.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bloody computer, I've put meteor, instead of metformin.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find fasting levels above 5 slightly worrying but have no problems with readings below 4. Above 9 I am not fit to drive so try to keep levels normal.

I think OP has been given some strange advice.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tigger,

Though I'm T1.
Hypos for T2's are possible in my book & can affect judgment & motor skills, if not dropping any lower to put you in the "coma"..
Even non Ds could get this sort of feeling if fasting for to long.... (My dad. Was T2.)

I'm wondering if your level jump from 4.7 to 5.8 was due to a natural "liver dump thing", though I appreciate you were on night shift work (the body clock & all that?) or a coffee to just get you through the night...? Lol

You were quite right to worry about your ability to handle a motor vehicle safety comes first.. :cool:
Yep there are conflicting advice.. (& I'm not helping on this.) ;)
But, if you are not on a restricted licence (3year issue max.) & have to renew on a doctors report?
Technically you won't have broken any road traffic laws on the below "5 to drive" grounds.
Though I will reiterate if anyone doesn't feel right to drive. Then dont!

Ride safe..!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just noticed, that you get regular readings in the threes, have you been told why? I had regular hypos, and found to be hypoglycaemic, the NHS according to my consultant reckon anything under 3.5 is a hypo. My natural levels are between 4 & 5.

I'm a T2, not on any medication. These are my apparently natural levels, now I'm a skinny, Minnie and eat reduced carbs.

I understand I should take note of anything under 3.0, and anything from 2.2 calls for action irrespective of diabetic or any other status. I have been as low as 3.0, curiously, just a few days ago. On that day, I had a bit of an upset tummy, and probably hadn't eaten quite enough as a result. My OH had the same upset, so I'm certain that wasn't diabetes related.

Should I find myself lower than 3, I would either have something to eat, or if my meal was due within, say, 45 minutes, I'd just have a cup of tea or something to lift my level slightly. Provided I'm feeling well, I doubt I would feel the need to wrestle a few jelly babies to their demise.

We're all different, but my system seems to want to run quite low at present. As this is also allowing me to increase the carbs I'm eating, I'm content with it, but I do appreciate others could feel differently.

Anyone on potential hypo inducing drugs would want to deal with their personal situation differently, and I support that wholeheartedly, but I do believe it is important that T2s, in particular, are not spooked by a low or below 4 reading, if they feel fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
UPDATE.
Panic over lol
Thank you for your kind words and support.
I tested again and it shot up to 5.8
So I take it this is a liver dump thing?
Before my shift ends I will see what its at. I know I feel **** when below 4 and think its dangerous for me to ride below that. Personal choice.
Thanks again
Take care
Tigger

Tigger - it would be good if you could let us know how it all turns out.

Good luck with the bloods (although, you've probably been; or not, by now).

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You most certainly can. I was taken off metformin because of my consistent hypos. When your BSLs normalise, you can reduce the number of meteor in you take.

Never mind the Metformin. I wouldn't mind trying some of those Meteors!

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Ok guys. I went! and got a sticker and wallypop lol So get results next week.
Thanks to everyone who gave advice etc, it does seem really confusing as to whats the right reading and whats wron but I guess each person different..

At the end of the day its my bike and my life and my choice if I ride at low numbers, Mine came back up enough to get me there and home.

Now after a sleep and food I feel fine.

Thanks again

Tigger

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok guys. I went! and got a sticker and wallypop lol So get results next week.
Thanks to everyone who gave advice etc, it does seem really confusing as to whats the right reading and whats wron but I guess each person different..

At the end of the day its my bike and my life and my choice if I ride at low numbers, Mine came back up enough to get me there and home.

Now after a sleep and food I feel fine.

Thanks again

Tigger
If you feel unwell, you shouldn't ride your bike. The numbers are a bit of a side-show on that decision, in my opinion. Glad you got your tests done. Sometimes, it's good just to get them out of the way.

Fingers crossed for you for next week. Let is know the "scores on your personal doors".

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
I agree I wouldn't risk it I I felt not up to scratch within myself, on a side note, my gps have actually sent me to the local hospital for routine bloods on several occasions simply because they were too busy or didn't have the staff to do it within a reasonable time frame, the hospital has an outpatient department with specific blood test area, saying that the staff weren't overly happy as they had a large workload, I had to wait over an hour, but on the gp surgerys head not mine!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
This is off the advice from this website for type 2 diabetics
NICE recommended target blood glucose level ranges
Target Levels
by TypeBefore meals
(pre prandial)2 hours after meals
(post prandial)
Non-diabetic4.0 to 5.9 mmol/Lunder 7.8 mmol/L
Type 2 diabetes4 to 7 mmol/Lunder 8.5 mmol/L
Type 1 diabetes4 to 7 mmol/Lunder 9 mmol/L
Children w/ type 1 diabetes4 to 8 mmol/Lunder 10 mmol/L

A hypo (hypoglycemia) is triggered when blood sugar levels fall under 4 mmol/L.

For example, too much insulin or too little food can spark a hypo.

This guide details what hypoglycemia is, how to recognise hypoglycemia symptoms, and what to do when you or your child is suffering from a hypo (hypoglycemia).

Hope this helps

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
useless info but i am in the 3s often 3.0 everyday without knowing it, but odly i havent gone below 3.2 today currently 4.2 and i havent eaten for 24 hours due to the runs
i say odly because if im normally in the 3s i was expecting alot lower today

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
useless info but i am in the 3s often 3.0 everyday without knowing it, but odly i havent gone below 3.2 today currently 4.2 and i havent eaten for 24 hours due to the runs
i say odly because if im normally in the 3s i was expecting alot lower today

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Saw this and thought of you! :D
image.jpg

Reactions: 5 people