Best things to snack on?

Dani44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I am type 1 and have never been one to eat big meals and have always tended to snack throughout the day. I was wondering what food are best to eat as snacks. Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Thank you

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi dani, am kinda the same, rarely eat big meals and end up wanting to snack an hour after my meal.

Unfortunately my snacks are prob not the healthiest to be having, normally consist of crisps, chocolate or biscuits.

Apparently fruit is a good snack, but am too addicted to choc.

Sorry I haven't really answered your question :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Dani,

It depends what your goals are - are you wanting snacks to benefit your bg levels? Or snacks that taste good? Snacks that are good for you and stop you craving the more sugary ones? (can you see some of the thought processes I go through when deciding what to eat?) Sometimes I just want a big piece of cake because it tastes nice.

Personally, I snack on pretty much anything - fruit, cake, biscuits, crisps, nuts.

Do you inject or pump insulin? ... that will make a difference to snack preferences too. I remember being told to have a couple of biscuits mid-morning to prevent myself going hypo between meals. But now I'm on a pump I bolus for absolutely everything I eat that contains carbs.

Sam

Dani44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to eat a bit healthier. I just snack on things that are handy and generally bad for you. I want to find snacks that won't affect my sugars much and will keep me fuller for longer. I inject novorapid and levemir.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi i'm the same, I need to eat a couple of hours after mealtimes, unfortunately DAFNE guidelines are that you eat 3 meals a day and no snacking as it raises your BG.

I tend to snack on cheese, nuts - mainly almonds as low carb otherwise small handful of cashews or peanuts, or a slim rice cake with peanut butter or philadelphia cheese or just celery as you can eat loads of that, or small handful of blueberries - all of these are low carb so shouldn't raise your BG too much, just watch the quantities tho as it soons mounts up !

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't now snack unless I have to, however when I did fruit was my preference or oat crackers, the Nairns Cheese Oat Crackers are only 3g of carbs each.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
carrot sticks and houmous or guacamole or cottage cheese........works and is healthy
or dip them in a chocolate fountain.....not so healthy, but more fun

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must say im a peanut addict, high in calories i know but once i start i cant stop lol . So i try not to buy too many.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I rarely snack, but when I do a pickled egg hits the spot. 1.7g carbs per egg.
Almost forgot I love the no added sugar jelly. 1.2g carbs per 115g pot.

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yep, the Hartley's jelly 1.2g carb is a winner alright, you can get them in any Tesco

Reactions: 4 people

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
John Briffa advocates eating nuts as a snack, he says they're not as fattening as you may think as they are healthy fats and studies have shown have less potential to make you fat than equivalent calories higher carb snacks.

H

Hooked

I'm getting some lovely ideas for snacks from this thread! :)
I love olives, little pickled onions, cubes of cheddar cheese, little plum or cherry tomatoes for low carb snacks. Egg mayonnaise (2 eggs)
when I'm more hungry, with or without salad leaves depending on wether I want to turn it into more of a meal or not.
Nuts are always good, I try to go for more natural ones rather than roasted/salted.

Reactions: 2 people