Newbee...........and need help with breakfast!

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Hello to all....

I am new to this forum...just found it 20 mins ago!

I am sure everybody has a story to tell, like me. I am diabetic for 6 years on the 21 March 2009, Type One, on inuslin (x4 a day)...pretty heavy but what can we do but cope with it! hey...:)

Im not sure if I can post in this section but will try. ( sorry if its the wrong place...still learning....).

I have to ask the million dollar question? What does everybody eat for breakfast? I have read diabeitc people eat bacon, eggs, mushrooms and NO TOAST????!!! I LOVE my brown bread toast but.....(Im very naughty here) with grilled cheese on top! yum yum! and a banana on the side....gulp! oops.....bad bad girl? I used to eat porridge but then when I look again, I eating my grilled cheese on toast. I am getting very tired of this and need a change, but what? I honestly thought bacon and eggs was a once in a blue moon treat! Anyway, please can anybody suggestion anything else?

Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to hearing from you....

happy eating!!

take care

Ursula :D

anne 37

at breakfast l usually have cornflakes or rice krispies with half teaspoon sweetner ,l used to like chopped bannana on top but it really put up my blood sugar up .my nurse told me that bas soon as you chew the bannana it activates the sugar in it ,l also enjoy porridge now and then to give me a change .there has been the odd occasion l have a bacon roll lol only if my levels are low enough ,take care x

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I use "Savoury slices" as a bread substitute. All sorts of recipe variations are possible, even cheese-on-SS.

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear Anna 37,

Thank you for your reply.

I have to be honest but I cant eat cornflakes with milk. I am not trying to be difficult but when I was 1 year old I stopped drinking milk ( my mom still doenst know why?) and the then when I was diagnosed with type 1 at 31 years (Im 37 now), my doc said you HAVE to try add in milk somehow. Like wean it in slowly. So I did. I have milk in my tea and porridge. But for me to have it in a bowl of cornflakes or any other cerel, Im so sorry I cant do. I will try anything else!! But never mind breakfast, I have to re-access my whole diet!! Good grief, from what I have read on this forum last night was shocking! I never slept last night!! I had a million things going through my mind.

In 6 years that I have been diabetic, I have NEVER counted one gran of carb! Nobody has told me to do that and nobody taught me either! I have only had my UK doctors for 2 years. But after reading all this info, I am going to change it all!! Im not sure how yet but going to try! I also want to KEEP my feet and body limbs on my body until the end.

So if you have any advice - PLEASE send it all to me! Im going to need all the help I can get! How long have you been diabetic? Do you count carbs? and I read about this "low carb diet"?

Ok - one step at a time.....

thanks

Ursula

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear IanD,

Thank you for your idea of "Savoury Slices".....I quickly read it and will try it out. Gosh all these recipes are brilliant!! I am really happy I joined this forum!!
Should have done it long ago!!

take care

Ursula

Aadrgon

Hi Ursula

Welcome to our little community
A low carb diet works wonders for me as a type 2 on metformin and should work for you as well. I may be wrong (my memory isn't too good) but I thought type 1's had to count carb in order to adjust their dosage of insulin. Do read the low carb forum there aresome good links in there for advice.

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear Aadrgon,

Thank you for you great reply!!
Yes - I have been reading LOTS!!!...and cant take it in any faster.
As for the "carb counting", I was never told this by any doc. I was diagnosed in Rome 2003, then in 2006 my husband and I moved to the Uk for his work. I started with new doctors and they still never told me. So now I have learnt about it ON THIS FORUM!!!!!!!! I have to start from the beginning and plan my meals. I have taken some recipes from here, I love cooking, like baking ( not too much but will try) and going to sort out my life!! YES!! We can do it!! Positive thinking! Hurray!!

I see you are from Cornwal...my husband is Cornish too from Illogan! Beautiful beaches!! And that is a compliment because I am South African! hie hie...and we do have lovely beaches too. Especailly Cape Town.

Anyway, back to carbs....if you have any advice, PLEASE send it my way!!

Starting new!!!

Take care

Ursula

Aadrgon

Hi Ursula

if you love cooking you're already over half way there with some of the recipes in here.

We live in Cornwall and love the place but unfortunately I was born in London

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ursula,

For me it's gotta be eggs. Either with bacon, salmon, mushrooms or in a cheese omlette. Fab.
I've been type 1 for 27 years and used to eat toast and cereals for breakfast every day. The result was a blood sugar toboggan ride so it made no sense to carry on with that. Having replaced them with proper food, I've never looked back.

All the best,

fergus

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear Fergus,

hello! and finally nice to hear from you! I have read ALL about you and your information is truely inspiring! I didnt sleep last night I was so excited about everything I had read.
hey wait a min....YES! Its your low carb bread I printed out last night. Going today to buy all the ingredients.

I honestly feel like a fool! I have been type 1 for 6 years now and I thought I was eating healthy until I read this forum! Gosh...I still have a lot to learn.So now I have to start all over again! Back to square one. And I take my hat off to you for doing this for 27 years!!! well done!

I feel like I have so many questions to ask you but I know one step at a time. So Im sorry if Im a pest in any way!! I do mean well...hie hie..... :D

Ok starting with your breakfast: Tomorrow morning, I can have bacon and eggs, no taost?
Gosh, this is going to be a big test. What happens if my sugar levels come crashing down? I know drink or eat something but not to eat any carbs at all?? mmm.....

Ok I will trust you.....

will let you know tomorrow morning.....Eeeekkkk!!!

Thanks

ursula

Aadrgon

Hi again Ursula

probably preaching to the converted here but do make sure you keep something to hand in case you do go hypo

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear Aadrgon,

Yes I agree. Im a housewife, so I have access to everything in my kitchen.

Thanks for the concern anyway.....

"In the making changing to low carb diet"...hie hie hie...HURRAY!!

take care

Ursula

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ursula, and thanks a million for your kind words! :oops:

I honestly feel like a fool! I have been type 1 for 6 years now and I thought I was eating healthy until I read this forum!

Quite the opposite Ursula! You've just made one of the most intelligent decisions you ever could. Smarter than the avarage bear, I'd say.

Be careful with the insulin if you go for eggs and bacon tomorrow - you will need much less than if you ate a carby brekkie. For guidance, 2 scrambled eggs, 2 thick rashers of bacon, a handfull of chestnut mushrooms and tea with a little milk will cost me 3 units of Humalog.

All the very best,

fergus

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear Fergus,

Im GOBSMACKED!!!! 3 units of insulin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! Ok - I will becareful!
I always have to take at least 8 or 9 units, sometimes 12 units in the mornings!! Man,the more I get info from YOU ALL the better I feel!! Just knowing I have great help. My hubby ( BLESS HIM!!!!) helps me so much too!!

This is a good day....:):):) :lol:

take care
Ursula

anne 37

been diabetic just over 2 years and ive lost 7stone ,the good thing for me was l had started eating healthy and exercising before l was diagnosed which for me was a good thing as id given up eating all the junk food etc ,so it was,nt a total :lol: change to my life style when l found out ,l like you am not keen on milk and never have been ,and was never one for eating breakfast ,but because l take insulin in the morning l have to eat breakfast ,wot l tend to do is only add enough milk to soak into the cereal ,and some times l do feel yucky when im eating it lol think it just the thought of having the milk in it ,you just have to keep trying ,its funny though im on set insulin doses and if l have any problems its my diabetes nurse who adjusts them ,the low carb diet was never explained to me ,this reply probably aint much use to you ,hope it helps in some small way ,take care and best wishes x

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear Anne 37,

Thank for your info. Any stories I like to read!

I didnt even think of your idea...little milk, for cereal to soak up! MMm...I will keep that in mind and will try it. My mother-in-law also suggested soya milk? She also doesnt like milk in her cereal like us and started using soya. No more problems. So Im going to try that too....so many things going on at the mo. But thank you...every little bit helps! If not me, someone else! You take care and stay positive! :)

Next, this is for Fergus,
(hope you read this???)
My breakfast this morning: 2 rasors bacon, 2 eggs (scrumbled, cooked into mini omlette) but I did add only ONE slice brown bread toasted, no crust. ( I dont like it, dont tell my hubby...hie hie). Sugar was 7.9 took 6 units?. I just thought that me changing from normal eating to low carb diet, I need to "wean" off slowly off the carbs. Gosh...did that make sense? I think it will be too much of a shock to my system to all of a sudden STOP all carbs?? Im talking about rice, bread, pasta,potatoes. Last night, our meal was planned already, which was "chilli con carne". Hubby and I decreased my rice I normally eat, adjusted my insulin but it was still high before bed. I think my emotions played a big part in that last night because I was very upset!!

I saw the doc yesterday. I went for blood tests 2 weeks ago because I have not been feeling well. I couldnt explain it to my hubby, or my doc. But people can see I dont look well. Im pale, get nausea after eating, feel fatigue, tired all the time ( I sleep 8 hours), but something is not right. So I went to the doc, she took blood etc. Results are in. And they NOT good!! Oh dear!! Oh dear!
My sugar HbA1c was 8.2 (its normally 7.) and my folic acid is danger low 93!!! should be 183-584. Doc not happy. I am seeing the diabetic doc on Friday to look at my overall diabetic stuff. Watch this space....
But I honestly think life style, or what happens in our lives can affect our sugar levels?? I lost my job in Nov last year because it was just very very bad timing, I was very sick, off work a lot and got told to leave. Very very sad because I liked the job. So all the sickness, stress and worry made my sugar levels go NUTS!! Hence Im now sitting with a result of 8.2! So, now you can understand how happy I was and still am to find this forum! Even hubby can see I have found so much info. I was telling him about all the good stories of changing to low carb. He is going to help whereever he can. I will need him when I start to learn carb counting!! Im very bad with numbers! ha ha..and he is very good.

Well, I just thought I'd share this with you. I going today to try find my scale, books on carb counting and going to try bake your bread!! Im really serious about this change and getting well. Im tried of feeling poorly.
Thank you all for your help, patience, understanding and every thing else....

Have a great day

Chat later

Ursula

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Aadrgon said:
Hi again Ursula

You've taken the first step of many :)
Keep it up :)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! that makes me feel good!!! ;);););)...yippee!!

Got my scale! Book ordered! Bought oatcakes...mushroom pate.....only eating eating half my mash tonight. Im trying on baby steps.

Tell me something, how long have you been diabetic? Im sorry I cant remember if I read your story yet? Gosh, Ive read soooooo MANY!!!...so please forgive if Ihad and forgotten! Oops!
Please fill me in......

Chat soon
Ursula

Aadrgon

Hi Ursula

Diagnosed type 2 about a year ago but carried on as normal for most of that time. I only found this site a short time ago but have found it has helped me immensely.
Just trying to do my bit to help others - mainly moral support because compared to most of the people in here I know nothing ( but I'm learning ) :)