Not coping witb exams

Jan68

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Any advice on how to help with gcse exam stress which is causing panic attacks and blood sugars to be high an then hypos which takes a while to become stable. I have tried speaking to school and they have been quite patronising and still waiting for a meeting with diabetic nurse an school. I am worried it will get to the stage of her refusing to go to school and/or making herself ill. I am beginning to feel I am losing the battle.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hi Jan,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Have you been offered any special support / exam allowances for your daughter?

Do you know that there's a new law supporting T1D children in schools? It takes effect from September, BUT you can make the point that it is belated recognition of the difficulties suffered by children with T1D...

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Schools/

Jan68

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We have all the exam concessions in place an the new laws will support her. She is constantly stressed which makes her bloods high which results in her being extremely tired an angry which then isn't a good way to start the exam. I just get the feeling school are only interested in her getting the high grades an not how to support her through this. She also doesn't know what she wants.

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Jan,
my daughter had the same problem and I asked the same question at a German diabetes forum. Some people gave me good advice. The high bloodsugar is caused by adrenalin. So if you are nervous because of a test the bloodsugar goes up. When the test is done and you relax the bloodsugar goes back to normal.
One mother told me how her son treats it:
1. Control the bloodsugar before the test
2. If the bloodsugar level is high (and he didn´t do any mistakes with his diabetes management) and he wants to correct he corrects only with the half insulin correction.
3. During the test he does the test and don´t remind the bloodsugar level.
4. After the test he´s testing his bloodsugar again and if he is low he eats something. If he is still high he corrects again with the half correction.
So he didn´t get any hypos again.
Maybe this helps you.

Jan68

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That makes sense thank you. We will give it a try an hopefully it will make her feel better an reduce the stress of being high an then the hypo.