Diabetics and vitamins

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. As a recently diagnosed T2, I'm now on Metformin 500 x 3 daily, and reduced carb diet. I'm wondering what Vitamins and minerals are depleted when you have diabetes, and can someone offer some advice or recommend what supplements I should take if needed,to help stay healthy. Thanks .

K

Kat100

Hello, there are some members here that suffer from some vitamin problems and other health problems which may or may not be related to having diabetes...
I have for example low iron and b12 levels , due to malabsorption problems. That is linked to my family health history as well.
If you are concerned and have symptoms which you are concerned about , discuss with your gp for medical advise...

Hope this helps .....best wishes ....Kat

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think magnesium is one that's lower in diabetics and chromium can be beneficial for steady BG x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 2 people

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I noticed in the Diabetic shop here that they have multi vits on sale, so I would think that may be a recommendation of sorts. I'm having tingling in my legs and feet, although I have already seen the Podiatrist who did the usual test and said that there seems to be no damage to the circulation in my feet. But it's driving me mad, hence I wondered if I may be short of something and needed to take a supplement .

Thanks girls

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think magnesium is one that's lower in diabetics and chromium can be beneficial for steady BG x

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.
Hi Deb, how is ur testing and meal planning going. My results are getting better, but I still have the odd slip up. I really need to write everything down, and plan what I eat better, according to my BG levels. I've been so busy lately......pregnant daughter came to stay with me and she has just had her baby 2 days ago, and looking after myself has gone out of the window for now :-(

I need to get back on track soon......

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!
Congrats on the baby - blue or pink? It's nice you can help your daughter.

I'm doing ok. I've gone very low carb and it has steadied my BG a lot. I'm feeling less sluggish and not missing bread, pasta etc but do crave pizza so that'll be my monthly treat.

All I seem to do at the mo is read about diabetes!

I've been tracking good with bloods and an starting to see what works for me.

So I guess it's going pretty well. Not skinny yet though...!

X

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not aware of any vitamins or supplements that are scientifically proven to help diabetes unless you have a metabolic problem which requires them anyway. So have a low-carb diet balanced with a range of proteins, veg, fats and good fruits etc and take it from there.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I agree with Kat, unless your gp has diagnosed a vitamin deficiency then there's no reason why you should be taking them.