Feeling down

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry to read this. You did the right thing for your pet. It is so hard when they go. I always say no more as it is such a wrench, but then I give in as they are so rewarding as well as being bloody pests. Big hugs xx

Reactions: 2 people

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw I'm so sorry :( I love my cats so much and I miss them just when I've been in work all day so I can't imagine how you must be feeling xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
A week after we had our old boy put down I signed up for fostering dogs from Wood Green. The first dog they sent was a 4 month old hound who'd been abandoned. Needless to say i was a rubbish dog fosterer. I fell in love with her and kept her. She grew into the massive beast in my profile pic.
The reason I had him in the first place is because my old cat had died, I took her stuff to the cats protection league, they showed me photos of all the cats which needed rehoming, I agreed to take one and came away with 2, much to my husbands disgust! I went to see one but he was housed with a little girl. I went into the run to meet him and she had pressed herself against the back wall in the corner and looked terrified. Apparently her owners had had their house repossessed so had given her to their neighbours. One week later the neighbours had their house repossessed so both cats were given to the cats protection league. She had had 3 homes in 3 weeks so I took them both. My hubbie has held this against me for the last 13 years. She's very hotly toity and I think she owns us not the other way round! Occasionally she deigns to give us a cuddle but once she's had enough, she gives you a whack.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had a cat (well he found us) we called him Homer after the philosopher, he was more like a big black panther, totally scared the local dogs, killed everything in his path, (even squirrels). He was awesome (not a word I like but it describes him). His kidneys packed in, it took 3 injections to take him away from us - his heart was strong. Then last year one of my dogs died from a heart condition. Talk about sob!
My son said, you know you only have them for a short while, and you enjoyed each others company. It took me out of the moment, and helped me remember their memory.
Feel for you Scandi.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had a cat (well he found us) we called him Homer after the philosopher, he was more like a big black panther, totally scared the local dogs, killed everything in his path, (even squirrels). He was awesome (not a word I like but it describes him). His kidneys packed in, it took 3 injections to take him away from us - his heart was strong. Then last year one of my dogs died from a heart condition. Talk about sob!
My son said, you know you only have them for a short while, and you enjoyed each others company. It took me out of the moment, and helped me remember their memory.
Feel for you Scandi.
Thank you. Feel a bit lost without morning cuddle. Our fiercely independent female cat has been fed by our eldest and has already gone back out again!

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The reason I had him in the first place is because my old cat had died, I took her stuff to the cats protection league, they showed me photos of all the cats which needed rehoming, I agreed to take one and came away with 2, much to my husbands disgust! I went to see one but he was housed with a little girl. I went into the run to meet him and she had pressed herself against the back wall in the corner and looked terrified. Apparently her owners had had their house repossessed so had given her to their neighbours. One week later the neighbours had their house repossessed so both cats were given to the cats protection league. She had had 3 homes in 3 weeks so I took them both. My hubbie has held this against me for the last 13 years. She's very hotly toity and I think she owns us not the other way round! Occasionally she deigns to give us a cuddle but once she's had enough, she gives you a whack.

So very sorry Scandichic,
It wad only yesterday my husband and I were recalling a wonderful cat we had we had when we moved into our current home. He died some years back now, but we have so many fond memories and they always bring a warm glow. :cat:
It's always a tough decision knowing the right time to let go - I've been there and done that too with a pet dog with cancer. A brave decision, and the right one.
Sending thoughts of love and support at what will be a ****** time for you. x

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to here of your loss. Although it's painful for you you did the right thing for your cat. Treasure your memories and the special time you got together. Hope you're feeling less lost soon x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Cat diagnosed with aggressive bone cancer today and had to be put down. :( He was 15 and his kidneys weren't great. Vet said it was kindest thing to do. Could have taken him home for the weekend but would have been mean. Cat would have suffered and not fair on kids either. Feeling sad.

Only jut seen this, I'm so sorry:( Oh I do feel for you, it's heart breaking to lose a beloved pet. I'm sure your cat had a wonderfully happy and contented life with you:cat:<3 take care x

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry, Scandichic.
You have been very strong and did the kind and right thing for your beloved cat.

Our cat, Tabby, is very much part of the family too. She is 16 and slowing down and we have to be more protective of her now. When we got her, we assumed she was a boy ( we'd been promised a boy) and we named her Oscar. My son, aged 12 at the time, said a couple of days later, "Mum, he's walking like a girl." (That sentence was a gem and I've never forgotten it!). Sure enough, when we took Oscar to the vet for his vaccinations, we were told he was a girl. Tabby, as she then became, didn't give two hoots and has been a loving member of the family for a long time.

So I can imagine and feel for your loss. Thinking of you.
Luz X

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry to hear that. I lost my fur baby when she was 14. I'll never get over it and even though we have our rescue cat and love him dearly, we're not as close as my last one although it will grow. :)

Your cat is in a better place and will be rolling around in cat heaven, purring away xxxx

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'd just like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread for being so kind! You have all made me feel better! Thank you!

Reactions: 4 people

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
Cat diagnosed with aggressive bone cancer today and had to be put down. :( He was 15 and his kidneys weren't great. Vet said it was kindest thing to do. Could have taken him home for the weekend but would have been mean. Cat would have suffered and not fair on kids either. Feeling sad I'M so sorry to read your sad news,loosing a
Member of your family is so difficult,I lost our wonderfull dog REXIE when he was 19yrs old,we still love him and often
Speak of him and sometimes sort of speak to him.IME sure they stay looking over you.Richard

Lin 26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners
Bad driving
Greed
Disrespecting others
Bullying
So very sorry to hear your news that your lovely cat has gone over Rainbow Bridge. It's a hard time. They give us such unconditional love.
Sending you a hug xxx

K

Kat100

Cat diagnosed with aggressive bone cancer today and had to be put down. :( He was 15 and his kidneys weren't great. Vet said it was kindest thing to do. Could have taken him home for the weekend but would have been mean. Cat would have suffered and not fair on kids either. Feeling sad.
Hi scandichic , sorry I am late in catching up , I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your cat ...
Loosing any pet is so heart breaking ....there are not enough words to say how much you and your family must be feeling right now.
May your cat be chasing butterflies and playing in a lovely sunny garden , watching over you from over the rainbow of pet land ....x
Best wishes and sending you my love and a ((hug))

60yearson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our first cat was getting more and more poorly. We took him to the Vet and the vet said "You will know when the time comes." and sure enough about two weeks later we brought Reggie in again and held him and stroked him so that he knew he was loved. A heart braking experience. Feeling low is natural. Take care.