The Great Scottish Run

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, so apologies of this has already been posted, I did a quick search and couldn't find any threads on it.

The Great Scottish Run is in October, held in Glasgow. As a recently diagnosed T1, I'm itching to show my diabetes the proverbial two fingered salute, and raise a bucket load of money for a diabetes charity at the same time :)

It's a half marathon - just over 21k. Piece of cake ;) We could have a gathering pre and post race, put some faces to forum names?

Who's up for it?

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I wish you all the best and good luck:)

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All the best for your run, Adamski. If you haven't discovered this website already, do look round www.runsweet.com - good for physiology, case studies of athletics, marathon running etc.

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Ok, so apologies of this has already been posted, I did a quick search and couldn't find any threads on it.

The Great Scottish Run is in October, held in Glasgow. As a recently diagnosed T1, I'm itching to show my diabetes the proverbial two fingered salute, and raise a bucket load of money for a diabetes charity at the same time :)

It's a half marathon - just over 21k. Piece of cake ;) We could have a gathering pre and post race, put some faces to forum names?

Who's up for it?
You could have used another term of phrase to describe how easy it was going to be, I want a piece of cake now!
art_zps9be2efe6.gif
art_zps9be2efe6.gif
art_zps9be2efe6.gif

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Welcome home Zand. xx

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Love to come but it's a bit far (according to google it would take me 'In current traffic: 17 h 10 min' to get there (and I that would depend on ferries!)
But know exactly what you mean as I decided in hospital that I was making the London Marathon as my goal.(and I did)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck Adam, hope you do well and give your diabetes a poke in the eye :)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
definitely, go for it.

I did my sticking two finger up at diabetes last weekend. I would think about the great scottish run but I've got another HM on the 14th Sept, as another part of my two fingers sticking up process.

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Training run today - pretty chuffed with that. Now I know I can do the distance (bloods afterwards were an ideal 5.5mmol/l), I'm going to start hassling family and friends for sponsorship. Does this site take donations? I've got a couple of diabetes charities in mind

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 257

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Decent pace, what's your target time?

Virgin Money Giving has JDRF registered, I'm raising money through them.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Would people be allowed to walk instead of run? My ankles aren't up to running

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would people be allowed to walk instead of run? My ankles aren't up to running

I think as long as the course is finished within a set time you'll be ok. The Edinburgh Marathon Minimum time was 6.5 hours. So guess for a half marathon it would be around 3.25 hours

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I did the full Edinburgh moon walk a few years ago.took 7 hours anx 39 mins so might be pushing it.

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also doing GSR this year. Doing it for JDRF and my first half, enjoyed my first 10k there last year.

It can be tricky to spot people you know with the crowds as it's very popular, however plenty of diabetics visible enough on the day from the Diabetes UK/JDRF charity vests. :)

Realistically I'd be happy just to get round, delighted if time goes under 2h.

Hope training goes well Adamski. Looks like it's started well already! Long run for me is just under 14k at this point so got a fair bit to do before the start of October.

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also doing GSR this year. Doing it for JDRF and my first half, enjoyed my first 10k there last year.

It can be tricky to spot people you know with the crowds as it's very popular, however plenty of diabetics visible enough on the day from the Diabetes UK/JDRF charity vests. :)

Realistically I'd be happy just to get round, delighted if time goes under 2h.

Hope training goes well Adamski. Looks like it's started well already! Long run for me is just under 14k at this point so got a fair bit to do before the start of October.
Plenty of time, if you can get up to 18km easily enough, the adrenaline will carry you through the rest.

Just watch out you don't go off too fast; it's teh pace that kills, not the distance

I keep having to remind myself of that.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
or in my case it's the achilles.

Went **** up on me last Wednesday, now going to struggle to make the start line in one piece.