Mosquitos

Nin123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone I am a newish member and want to know if anyone has come up against a question about mosquitos. I am going to the USA in a couple of months and I am prone to mosquito bites, does anyone know of a good repellant? I have type 2 diabetes and want to avoid getting bitten if I possibly could, Is there anything I could use that doesn't affect my condition

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my one and only allergy is insect bites and its only one kind i think, if i get bitten on my leg say, the whole part of the leg swells up like a balloon and always gets infected and i end up not being able to walk for days and on 2 different antibiotics, the last time i had to go to a&e because the infection was tracking up and down in my veins, you could see it, it was weird, they wanted to keep me in on i v antibods but i wasnt having any of that obviously, i never wear shorts unless in running or cycling any more which is terrible in the summer booooo

anyway after all that i use jungle formula, you can buy it in the supermarkets, i also use it when night fishing and its mozzy central and it seems to work well

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahhh I remember it well when a new boat load of 10 quid poms arrived at our school, You could always tell the new ones, the mozzi bites swelled up all red and angry, the size of a 2 bob piece

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried everything, since every mosquito for miles around targets me. I get lumps around 2 inches across, And the worst ever (Venice in October, 27 bites) made me delirious.

The best treatment I've ever used are the vit B1 (thiamin) patches. It takes a couple of hours after application for them to become effective, but from that point on, I've never had a bite. Each patch works for about a day and a half. The brand I use has both 'bug' and 'patch' in its name, and I get them off eBay. It was such a relief to find them!

The second best treatment is that blue dry skin oil from Avon. 'Very soft' or something. It isn't an insect repellent, but it works very well. Bizarre but true.

I use both for late summer dog walking, or evenings in the garden, and haven't been bitten in a couple of years (except that time I forgot to use them!)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I've used DEET for West Africa, which is the active ingredient of most commercial repellants. There is some suggestion of risk of encelopathy, but for short trips it's a preferable risk to malaria or dengue fever. But the best risk-avoidance mechanism is to cover up your arms and legs, especially in the evening and at night. Also consider a mosquito net (although you are probably staying in a hotel with air conditioning?).

Desert Diva

I am a mosquito ' magnet' and have allergies reaction to bites. The only thing that worked for me when we lived in Texas was Avon's Skin so soft Original. Also for relieving any itches red Tiger Balm is amazing

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm currently living in an area of the world where mosses are very active, and bring their associated risks of dengue and chickungunya fevers. I detest DEET, and try to avoid applying it to my skin wherever possible. Over time, and as my skin has darkened, with low grade daily exposure to the sun, I am less sensitive to mossie bites, but always make sure I am wearing preventative solutions. Always.

Because of our dislike of DEET, we have sort of developed a home brew anti mossie solution, which works for us. In a 100ml spray top bottle, add 15ml citronella oil, 15ml tea tree oil, 15ml polysorbate 20 ( which isn't essential, but holds the oils in a more even suspension), and top up with water. If we are actively being bitten still, we would add a splash of Dettol or Savlon to the bottle, just to aid any scratched sites. The measurements are all rough, but work for us. Oils can be bought at the chemist or on the internet, but essential oils only, or they will already be diluted. The solution isn't fragranced, but smells lightly of citronella, which neither of us find unpleasant. Too heavy handed with the Dettol, and one smells like a hospital. :nurse:

In the early days here, I also used to start on a slow release anti-histamine tablet on the long haul flight, which dampened down any flaring reaction to bites, and reduced any infected sites to virtually zero, as they just didn't itch. I don't do that any more.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I also live in a dengue and malaria zone so tend to rely on Boots Tropical Strength 50% DEET repellents. But I agree with AndBreathe that DEET has drawbacks. I need to try their homemade recipe!

However, I think it is no longer possible to buy citronella oil over the counter in UK (pharmacies now banned from distributing...we used to buy it regulalrly to make up repellant mixes for the horses). Care is needed with some essential oils - citronella oil and tea tree oil can cause skin reactions if applied neat. They do need diluting. Anti-histamine tablets to reduce any bite reactions sounds worth trying. In the tropics covered arms, legs, neck etc is pretty standard advice - definitely worth wearing early am and evening/night when mozzies most active.

Have a great trip!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also live in a dengue and malaria zone so tend to rely on Boots Tropical Strength 50% DEET repellents. But I agree with AndBreathe that DEET has drawbacks. I need to try their homemade recipe!

However, I think it is no longer possible to buy citronella oil over the counter in UK (pharmacies now banned from distributing...we used to buy it regulalrly to make up repellant mixes for the horses). Care is needed with some essential oils - citronella oil and tea tree oil can cause skin reactions if applied neat. They do need diluting. Anti-histamine tablets to reduce any bite reactions sounds worth trying. In the tropics covered arms, legs, neck etc is pretty standard advice - definitely worth wearing early am and evening/night when mozzies most active.

Have a great trip!

It is possible to buy citronella in UK. As I buy in notional bulk (1 litre at a time, because of the duration of our travels), I buy online, from a supplier in Wales. I don't buy from eBay, but there are lots of suppliers on there, including the one I use directly.

For ease: http://mothernaturesgoodies.co.uk/en/97-citronella

I don't have any association with this company, save for being a customer of 3 or 4 years standing.

Last edited by a moderator: