Offloading & a question

Just Laura

Thanks everyone - especially for the suggestion of changing the hypo stoppers. I know I've grown to loathe jelly babies and I don't even have to scoff them every now & again!

x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Maomi pinballs...they are normal carb, sweet stuffingkids favorites....

And mine.. I never mind hypo's if I can eat them!!! It's stopping at a max of 4 of them....

They haven't damaged my gut either that any jelly or gelatine does....

Other parents may be concerned, but with an explanation they would appreciate how lucky they are with non diabetic children!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks dd, gonna get me some of them. I mean Tamsin. Gonna get Tamsin some of them! ;)

x

Hey, my hubby says he getting me some packets (5 at a time according to receipt)- only ever brings in 3 of them!!

They are so sweet n tasty!! Really yummy hypo stoppers..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh, Laura - exactly... That's what he says too!! Never nicked jelly babies though, or dolly mixtures.. Just these!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Laura

Best to have a hypo stopper that daughter will eat...than something that becomes a pain in bum!!!

It maybe that daughter really likes something else to have.... My bp garage sells the pinballs £1 for 180g bag. Asda about the same.

Maybe take daughter to the sweet section in supermarket and ask her what she would eat nicely when hypo...... And tell her she can choose 5 items but you have the final choice (when looking at highest sugar/carbs)....

I personally think it is very important to have yummy stuff....I love milk n sugar in my house, but have to have quicker fixes outside...

L33M

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi my daughter does swimming every week with school and she has 4 fruit pastels before then usually 2-3 after. My daughter doesn't care for fizzy lucozade at night so she has either Capri sun or ribena we've found these to be very good when she's not feeling well too.
Hope your daughter gets on good next time she's swimming......

Reactions: 2 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was asked to explain my thinking while hypo and the best I have come up with to date is this.
Think what it is like when you are really quite drunk but still feel functional to yourself. As far as you are concerned you are still perfectly capable despite what anyone around you says. Now think of the silly arguments you have had while in that state.

When at work if I am hypo and cannot get out of meetings I make it clear what my state is an apologise in advance. Luckily I work with some pretty cool people who don't hold any stupid comments I make while in that state against me.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was asked to explain my thinking while hypo and the best I have come up with to date is this.
Think what it is like when you are really quite drunk but still feel functional to yourself. As far as you are concerned you are still perfectly capable despite what anyone around you says. Now think of the silly arguments you have had while in that state.

When at work if I am hypo and cannot get out of meetings I make it clear what my state is an apologise in advance. Luckily I work with some pretty cool people who don't hold any stupid comments I make while in that state against me.
I guess this just shows how different we are, when I'm hypo I feel like this is going to be the hypo that finishes me. I get huge anxiety and know I need to treat it. I also don't get the shakes any more.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Laura,

I reckon Andy's sweet share is a great idea.. If you can call a group in your daughter should follow the pack & grab a "lifesaver"...

Some times the hypo mindset is like a computer thinking about searching the hard drive... When it stalls no amount of clicking or key pressing will remedy this.. Lol

I've dealt with a couple of customers like this.. I stand well back & politely mention without asking "low blood sugars?" "Take your time." Throwing questions into the mix can set things off, even if you know it's the right thing for them..
I was actually assaulted by one customer & had to fight the guy off when he lurched over the counter & grabbed me by the throat..
He was still of the fill the car & pay for the fuel mind but was arguing the pump hadn't been switched on.. The reality was he hadn't even drew the pump to be authorised...
He came back an hour later & apologised...

I look at it like alcohol..? Some people get "funny" on the stuff & will argue the toss over nothing....

Lucky for me I'm passive on both.. Though I can talk b-----cks if caught in a social situation.. My confidence level drops too..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

For me it's like walking into a room & forgetting why.. Simple thinking is astrophysics.. Somewhat like smoking strong pot..
There is a strong sense of self doubt.. Then I go on auto pilot & get the "munchies"..
The worst thought of me in that state by others is "he's a mad rocker"...

I've dealt with hypos as a child & my parents never even knew... Or at least I like to think my mum didn't... ;)

Just Laura

Thanks everyone for your insights - it's really helpful to hear it, especially as it's quite clear that it differs from person to person & situation to situation.

I have definitely been in the 'one too many' camp and looking at people thinking "why are they not getting what I'm saying!?" I'll try and keep that memory in mind (though I have spent years trying to forget it ;))

Once again, thanks to you all for taking time to reply.

Sports day tomorrow.... wish me luck!

x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your insights - it's really helpful to hear it, especially as it's quite clear that it differs from person to person & situation to situation.

I have definitely been in the 'one too many' camp and looking at people thinking "why are they not getting what I'm saying!?" I'll try and keep that memory in mind (though I have spent years trying to forget it ;))

x

Lol, I wish you the best of luck...

I think it's safe to say a hypo is not like a "sick day" off school where a child wants attention/cuddle...?
Some of the female D's have akin'd it to (dare I say it ) PMT..?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

x

Ooooo good luck!

Maybe if you intend to share the sweets in this situation you might benefit from explaining the problem to the class teacher / someone at school first (as schools often suggest healthy meals and giving sweets out to kids may raise some eyebrows). That way if you think she is going hypo you can whip out the sweets (or maybe a fruit smoothy instead, depending on what you have to hand!)

Just watch out if it is really sunny and she is doing sports in the sun - the sun always reduces my sugar levels.

I hope you both have a lot of fun! :)

60yearson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also ghastly for the person trying to help the diabetic. I screamed at my husband "you are trying to kill me" right outside of Selfridges as he frantically tried to get me to drink a tin of Coke! I feel for both of you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also ghastly for the person trying to help the diabetic. I screamed at my husband "you are trying to kill me" right outside of Selfridges as he frantically tried to get me to drink a tin of Coke! I feel for both of you.

I appreciate that these people are acting out of best interests for the "hypo'e".

But I've taught the people around me that I can sort myself out... I have never caused of had this sort of stress..!

It's an odd thing.. There are similar aspects to hypoglycaemia & the way people act when low, that put me in mind of dementia sufferers...?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

x

How did the sports day go?

Just Laura

Bless you, thank you so much for asking. We survived sports day.... Because she fell over and now has a very swollen, hot sprained (I think) ankle. And apparently isn't supposed to use elasticated bandaging because of the diabetes! Anyone know anything about this?

Poor thing, she's right in the wars!

Did speak with the Mums from the party though, and they were all totally lovely :)

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really glad it went well (or as well as it could considering she hurt herself!) and all the other mums were nice.

I don't know anything about not using elasticated bandaging. I used it on my wrist a few months ago to cover a burn (stupid accident with the oven!). Perhaps someone else can enlighten us about elasticated bandaging?!