Just needing to say thank you ALL

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just want to say hi .. And thank you all .. And I do mean all of you here in the forums.
9 months ago I was told I have T2 diabetes .. I was told to eat carbs and cut sugar .. This I did .. Then after my 3 month check my bloods and sugar readings were through the roof ...
So my wife took over .. Reading all and I do mean all of the advice in these forums she took my diabetes by the scruff and my new diet began.

We are vegetarian, so looking for new foods is nothing new for her.
First she purchased an Codefree meter via Amazon with hundreds of test strips. Then the low carb high fat diet began .. It was easy .. Yes I miss my carbs .. But the meter was able to show the new eating habit was working .. I was reading high 20. At the start (6 months ago) and now around 5.9 so it was working .. I still have a single slice of whole meal toast with cheese for breakfast .. Then for lunch most days a veggie fry up .. Dinner is very varied menu .. Supper is nuts berries and chocolate ice cream ... She keeps carbs to around 30 to 40 a day.

So without feeling hungry I have lost 3 stone 8 lb. and I feel good.

I was lucky that my heart problems meant my diabetes was spotted early. Also that my wife was able to take control of my food and my saluki puppy has grown up and ready for longer walks.

All my blood results were normal this time and we are looking at stopping some of the heart meds and yes stopping the db tablets.

This success is down to YOU ... Without reading all your text my wife would be still following the med advice .. Lots of carbs .. Sugar fizzy drinks and no testing.

We was worried about the Impact of the high fat on my cholesterol, but this has come back lower than ever ...

So again .. Thank you all .. This new eating habit is here to stay and I expect the weight will still reduce as my waste line gets smaller.

Reactions: 37 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to both of you for listening to the advice and then acting on it. Your hard work has paid off. I am impressed. It is very motivational to hear a success story like this, thanks for sharing it with us.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Awesome :) your success is down to you guys! you had the good sense to look beyond the awful advice you received, congratulations :)

Reactions: 5 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Awesome :) your success is down to you guys! you had the good sense to look beyond the awful advice you received, congratulations :)
Id say congratulations on having a sensible wife when he seems to lack ability to read and take responsibility for his own condition as the OP gives all the credit to his wife. Wish I had one.

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Id say congratulations on having a sensible wife when he seems to lack ability to read and take responsibility for his own condition as the OP gives all the credit to his wife. Wish I had one.
My wife and I are a team, I am happy to give her the credit.

K

Kat100

Great congratulations to both you and your wife, always nice to hear good news....x

K

Kat100

Great congratulations to both you and your wife, always nice to hear good news....x

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife and I are a team, I am happy to give her the credit.
I have heard hubby say the same while it is me who does all the work. Hubby had a stroke at 48, so that does put things in a different setting though.

Take care of such a gem of a wife you have. As I said, I wish I had a wife who could carry some of my responsibilities for me.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard hubby say the same while it is me who does all the work. Hubby had a stroke at 48, so that does put things in a different setting though.

Take care of such a gem of a wife you have. As I said, I wish I had a wife who could carry some of my responsibilities for me.
Thank you Totto, my wife has had to nurse me through heart attacks .. Heart by pass op . 22 years ago . TIA's mini strokes, angina and now diabetes .. She is my rock

Reactions: 4 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
So glad you are doing so well Enclave, I have learned so much since I joined in March this year. Good friendly advice and a great knowledge base.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done Mrs Enclave, and well done to you. Excellent news.
All so lovely to read.... Tears to eyes...

I see children being brought up with 6/7 days takeaways a week. Finally, 1 year on, husband is taking control... When I see a post like this, it gives me more ofa spur on to think I can carry on trying to help this family.

Thankyou for inspiration to keep trying to help others...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not my children!!-lol!! Friendschildren eating takeaways 6 out of 7 days a week.
It taken a year to slowly get parents to change, but now they are.. This posting about wife n hubby realisation and acceptance makes me think it's worthwhile.. Thankyou..

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Well done both of you, but particularly your wife. Some partnerships just work. My wife and I do everything together.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Wondered about that.

Their childcare or eating or lifestyle is not good, but I think of their children...

I took them to Woburn in recent months.. Their mum packed a picnic....(so did I). They ate mine...... But I can only encourage them from a far.. (6 doors down!!). The husband now recognises he waa killing them all from money kindness and lazyitis!!

sickofit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just want to say hi .. And thank you all .. And I do mean all of you here in the forums.
9 months ago I was told I have T2 diabetes .. I was told to eat carbs and cut sugar .. This I did .. Then after my 3 month check my bloods and sugar readings were through the roof ...
So my wife took over .. Reading all and I do mean all of the advice in these forums she took my diabetes by the scruff and my new diet began.

We are vegetarian, so looking for new foods is nothing new for her.
First she purchased an Codefree meter via Amazon with hundreds of test strips. Then the low carb high fat diet began .. It was easy .. Yes I miss my carbs .. But the meter was able to show the new eating habit was working .. I was reading high 20. At the start (6 months ago) and now around 5.9 so it was working .. I still have a single slice of whole meal toast with cheese for breakfast .. Then for lunch most days a veggie fry up .. Dinner is very varied menu .. Supper is nuts berries and chocolate ice cream ... She keeps carbs to around 30 to 40 a day.

So without feeling hungry I have lost 3 stone 8 lb. and I feel good.

I was lucky that my heart problems meant my diabetes was spotted early. Also that my wife was able to take control of my food and my saluki puppy has grown up and ready for longer walks.

All my blood results were normal this time and we are looking at stopping some of the heart meds and yes stopping the db tablets.

This success is down to YOU ... Without reading all your text my wife would be still following the med advice .. Lots of carbs .. Sugar fizzy drinks and no testing.

We was worried about the Impact of the high fat on my cholesterol, but this has come back lower than ever ...

So again .. Thank you all .. This new eating habit is here to stay and I expect the weight will still reduce as my waste line gets smaller.

can I come and live in your house???!!!

Reactions: 4 people