Pesky dawn phenomenon

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria, it sounds like the Brazils on waking thing are working for you. Much as I don't want to,I'm going to give them a try too.
Exercise in the evening can only help as well. Good luck with yours this week:)
Yeah, I failed at it already. Meant to do some kettle bell swings before bed last night, ready for this mornings readings.

Completely forgot.

Didn't even remember til you reminded me just now.

I really do think I have a mental block about this!

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
[
Yeah, I failed at it already. Meant to do some kettle bell swings before bed last night, ready for this mornings readings.

Completely forgot.

Didn't even remember til you reminded me just now.

I really do think I have a mental block about this!

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Oops, don't know what happened with my last post, meant to say, there's still tonight! Never too late to start - and anyway, the week doesn't start til Monday in my book! I didn't do any exercise yesterday either!

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Late evening exercise is working for me, so far. Since I started 5 days ago all pre breakfast readings have been lowest for months. Maybe coincidence! 15 mins around 9:30 to 10:00 on the exercise bike.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right.
Just done 25 kettle bell swings. It's 10.25 at night.
Am gasping like a winded horse.
All major muscle groups whinging.
I hate you all. :dead:

The only plus point for the whole exercise is that the dog was sleepy enough not to investigate and get brained!

Right, so maybe I'm not as unfit as I thought. Breathing back to normal (ish).

Doesn't mean that I don't hate you, though.
:shifty:

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I never test upon waking and always after shower, before getting dressed so my insulin has 30 mins to take effect before breakfast.
Been waking for obligatory pee at about 5:30-6:00 last few days so decided to test this morning

After shower etc was at 7.4 this was approx 2 hours later

So got some Brazils and cheese strings as per Brunnerias recommendation / experience, and will try have that first thing on waking and see if it helps me too.

Many thx for posting your results Brunneria as I would never of thought of doing this, fingers crossed I can

A) wake up at 5:30-6:00 still
B) it works also

Reactions: 5 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
@bluetit
No I didn't but I assume liver is dumping more glucose in as I move about more as I have not eaten yet.?

It's a funny old game this diabetes lark

I will try eating on awakening for 2 weeks and see.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never test upon waking and always after shower, before getting dressed so my insulin has 30 mins to take effect before breakfast.
Been waking for obligatory pee at about 5:30-6:00 last few days so decided to test this morning

After shower etc was at 7.4 this was approx 2 hours later

So got some Brazils and cheese strings as per Brunnerias recommendation / experience, and will try have that first thing on waking and see if it helps me too.

Many thx for posting your results Brunneria as I would never of thought of doing this, fingers crossed I can

A) wake up at 5:30-6:00 still
B) it works also

Good luck with the experiment - but give it time.
I think it took about 3 weeks for the BG to settle down and stay consistent with the 'on waking' snack.

Reactions: 2 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 today seems about right for 2 glasses of wine last night
would probably be 6.3 with out without wine - weird

Do non diabetics get this Dawn thing ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 today seems about right for 2 glasses of wine last night
would probably be 6.3 with out without wine - weird

Do non diabetics get this Dawn thing ?
I think I've had it for decades, but of course, I didn't have a BG meter 20 years ago, so I cannot prove it...

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've hopped over here from my 'stress' thread as I'm getting more sign of this being DP or even coffee again. Today i woke at BG level of 5.1 which is incredible for me. Must be the LCHF. However, after only 5.6g carbs at breakfast I was at 8.1 after 2 hours. I did have coffee this morning as usual but didn't have to go in to work. Next I shall eliminate the coffee and work to see. If that fails I'll try your nuts, Brunneria! Btw the American Diabetes Association advises earlier evening meals followed by light exercise to manage the DP. Have you done any 'light' exercise earlier in the evening Brunneria? (I shall now go and check back in case it's in the thread already and I've just forgotten!)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee can raise blood sugar levels especially if you've used ordinary milk. Try it with cream or I use the Lactofree milk which is lower in carbs and still tastes of milk as opposed to nuts or soy like the other low carb milks.