300g onions chopped roughly or as finely as you want
1 knorr veggie stock pot
water
butter
pepper

to taste
wholemeal bread
cheese of choice

fry the onions and a good grind of pepper slowly in the butter for around 20-25 mins, pour on water and stock pot (you can make do with veggie stock cube) and continue to boil for a further 10 mins.

take out some of the onions and set aside. blend the stock onion mixture down to a creamy consistancy, return the removed onions. if carbs are not a problem you can thicken with cornflour to own taste.

serving sugestions

cream can be added after blending use double cream.

toasted cheese crouton toast some brown bread on one side and toast cheese onto the other place in the bottom of your bowl before serving it will float.

carbs per pot

without bread
29g per pot
5.5 g fibre per pot

about 3 bowls per pot

norried

Re: Recipes.

ps

not for smokers or if you are going to be in a public place about 6 hours after eating.

parrrrp :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Pasta sauce
1 yellow pepper de-seeded and cut up finely
1 med onion, finely chopped
few slices of Danish salami, cut into slivers
little olive oil
crushed clove of garlic
1 courgette, cut up fine( quartered lengthways, then sliced.)
can chopped tomatoes
knob of butter
seasoning.
Heavy bottomed pan
Method
Fry onion and pepper in olive oil. Don't allow to brown Add garlic when nearly done( don't burn the garlic!)
Add salami slivers cook for a bit and add tomatoes.
Now simmer gently foe about 5 minutes until flavours develop and blend. Taste,then Season with salt and if it needs it, a little sweetener.
When done, add a knob of butter
Serve with Dream fields pasta.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??

norried said:
ps

not for smokers or if you are going to be in a public place about 6 hours after eating.

parrrrp :lol:

You could always roast some whole Garlic cloves to go with that ;) hhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm heavenly

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.

For Dennis and all the other celeriac lovers on the forum, I offer the following:

Celeriac with turmeric and cumin seeds

Half a celeriac root
Half a teaspoon turmeric
Half a teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tbs vegetable oil

Peel the celeriac and cut the flesh into 1 cm cubes. Parboil for 10 mins in salted water. Drain. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then add the turmeric and cumin seeds. Fry, shaking the pan, for 20 seconds, then add the celeriac. Shake the pan regularly so that the celeriac pieces take on the colour of the turmeric and are coated with the seeds. Continue cooking until the celeriac is cooked through. Serve.

[/b]Mashed celeriac with Camembert[/b]

Half a celeriac root
A knob of butter
3 or 4 tbs of cream
Black pepper to taste
50 grams of Camembert or Brie cut into very small dice (about 5 mm cubes)

Peel and cut the celeriac into chunks, then boil in salted water until tender. Drain and mash in the pot, then whisk in, first the butter, then the cream. Add the freshly ground black pepper and stir in the cheese. Serve.

And finally a recipe from Brian Turner:

Celeriac with curry spices

Half a celeriac root
Knob of butter
3 or 4 tbs Cream
Half a teaspoon turmeric
Half a teaspoon cumin powder
Freshly ground black pepper

Peel and cook the celeriac in salted water until tender. Drain and mash. Whisk in the butter, then the cream. Add the spices, stir until thoroughly mixed. Serve

Hope this livens up the vegetable taste buds for celeriac lovers. :D

Reactions: 2 people

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Low-carb Turnip dauphinous.

I tried this with a white turnip and it worked very well.

1 peeled and sliced turnip
1 small finely chopped onion/shallot
half a pint of milk/cream whatever mix
grated cheese
crushed garlic
s&p

Heat the milk in a saucepan with the garlic and let it infuse.
Layer the rest of the ingredients, pour the milk over, cover with grated cheese and bake in a hot oven until brown and bubbly.

No idea carbs per serving, can't be very many and it is so like the 'real' thing.

wiflib

Reactions: SueJB

dippydeedi

Dislikes
Bad manors, exercising, not being able to eat what i want, being skint, getting up.

I love stir fry chicken strips cooked in toasted sesame seed oil. Add mushrooms peppers and onion. Dark soy sause to taste. ummy.

This works just as well with beef, lamb or pork.

Hubbie has rice with his.

Helenwales.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
many things depression is awfull,I wish there were more support with Diabetes in my area would love to meet people and talk about the condition ... I get along .

TROUBR said:
RASPBERRY WHIP (taken from a Diabetic recipes book produced by my hospital diabetic centre)

1 sachet sugar free raspberry jelly
2 small pot of virtually fat free raspberry yohurts
4 oz raspberrys

Make up the jelly using only 3/4 pint water (not the 1 pint on instructions)
When just before settiung point (this is a little hard to determine but have made it a couple of times so far and it has still set ok!) stir in the yoghurts (mix in well) and then the raspberrys.
Leave to set

Enjoy! My son actually loves this as well which is good as otherwise I might be tempted to eat the lot!

Stunning thank you so much and the children l.ove this too :D

Reactions: Rosiegough_

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Glad you liked it, it was one of the first "recommended for diabetics" recipes I tried and it is still one of my favourites and really easily to do! My non diabetic mum likes it because it fits well with her slimming world plan too!!!

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!

DEAR FERGUS;

Your famous "low carb bread",......

I bought all ingredients today but couldnt find 2 things: wheat gluten and soya protein isolate powder? I tried 4 shops, including harrett & barrett. where did you buy yours from? actually, which country do you live in ? Im in UK. ha ha ha...thats funny! Im asking because Ive read 2 threads and those people live in SA & Australia, so it crossed my mind you might not be here and your country has the ingredients. Please help!

Next. bought my scale! YIPEE!! From argos. Carb counting book ordered, collect only sat :( but we are getting there!! Oh I also found oatcakes?? I bought normal ones to try and they are nice. I couldnt find onion pate but got mushroom instead.

Tonights meal is pork chops, broccoli and mash for the hubby, mine only half the amount I normally eat. Remember Im weaning down. So all good to go....:):):)

Thanks again for all your help!!
chat soo
Ursula

saz1

Ursula,

you should be able to find soya isolate powder in holland and barrett's. It is a powder added to shakes by body builders and very active exercisers. I got a huge tub for 6 quid or there abouts. Gluten you must get online, I got mine at www.lowcarbmegastore.com.

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!

saz1 said:
Ursula,

you should be able to find soya isolate powder in holland and barrett's. It is a powder added to shakes by body builders and very active exercisers. I got a huge tub for 6 quid or there abouts. Gluten you must get online, I got mine at http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com.

Hi Saz1,

I did go to holland and barrett: bought big tin of "90% soya protein powder"? is this the isolate powder you are talking about?

Thanks for the website.....

let me know thanks

Take care
ursula

sussex

[I am looking for a recipe for Rhubarb crumble ( comfort food ) I had one from WWatchers using scotts porridge oats which I have mislaid.
Bought forced Rhubarb yesterday and need to cook it soon.I use Splenda as a sweetener is this the best to use in cooking. Thanks :?

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!

saz1 said:
Ursula,

you should be able to find soya isolate powder in holland and barrett's. It is a powder added to shakes by body builders and very active exercisers. I got a huge tub for 6 quid or there abouts. Gluten you must get online, I got mine at http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com.

Dear Saz1,

Thanks for that. I ordered it and it arrived today!! YIPEE!! Baking low card bread here I come!! :lol:
Nice website that "low carb megastore"....:) I got a free pen! whoppee------:):)
Im sure I have all the right ingredients? Im still not sure on the soya isolate powder but will use because its was expensive!
So wish me luck!! hurray.....

Take care
Ursula

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Re: Recipes. Fergus low carb bread.....

Oh gosh..its me again!

Im about to start preparing the bread but wanna ask what do you grease the bake tin with? I normally use a tiny amount of butter? Should be fine hey?

Can anyone tell me if we are allowed to post photos on here? Ive see food articles somewhere.....

chat soon
take care
Ursula

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!

Hi Aardrogan,

Have you made/baked this bread before?

I found when I was "kneading" it, it was very dry? I HAD to add 2x tablespoons of extra water. The 250ml was not enough. Am I doing something wrong? its in the oven baking RIGHT now but my instinct are telling something is wrong. Listen, Im not Jamie Oliver but I do try and this is making my angry because I want to get it right!!!! EEeeekkkkkk.....
OH DEAR!!!
When this bread comes out the over, Im taking a photo to show you all......but dont laugh..... ha ha ha...
chat later
Ursula

Dr. Nic

Lower Carb Key Lime Pie

I made this last weekend, partly making it up as I'd forgotten a couple of ingredients but it worked particularly well.

For the base,
200g Ryvitas (it should contain 250g digestive biscuits here, but ryvitas are better for you)
250g butter/marge

Blitz the ryvitas in the blender to make crumb. I used the sunflower seed and oats ones as the seeds are really nice in the base.

Melt the butter and combine with the crumb. Line a baking tin and fill with the mix. Bake 180degrees for 5 minutes.

Turn oven down to 100degrees when baked.
For the topping,
500ml condensed milk
200ml lime juice
zest of 4 limes
4 egg yols

Blend the milk and egg yolks, then add the juice and zest.
Add to the base, and bake for 35 minutes at 100degrees. The topping should be firm like an omlette when cooked, but be careful as it will burn easily.

I know it does contain sugar in the milk and ryvitas but its a better choice than the real thing, and just as tasty. Plus its really rich so you don't need a huge slice!

Katharine

Cream of Salmon and Bacon Soup

My son David came in 3rd in his class with this soup:

Shallots
Bacon
Salmon
Stock
Butter
Cream
Seasoning

Chop shallots, fry in butter, add bacon, add salmon.
Add some stock, liquidize, add more stock.
Heat gently, add double or single cream as desired, season with black pepper/ salt.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;

Yesterday was a special day for Moms apparently, neither of the mothers in this particular family fancied cooking so I had to step up to the challenge...once again :shock:

I cooked for 8 of us and there were some leftovers which Dragon, Dragonette and I will be consuming later :D

• Starter - Spiced aubergine salad

4 small aubergine - sliced
    6tbsp extra virgin oil
    2tbsp red wine vinegar
    4 garlic cloves - crushed
    2tbsp lemon juice
    1tsp ground cumin
    1tsp ground coriander
    1 cucumber - thinly sliced
    4 tomatoes - sliced
    4tbsp natural yoghurt
    salt and ground black pepper
    1tsp chives - chopped
    chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
    • Brush aubergine slices with olive oil and grill
    • Once grilled, quarter the aubergine slices
    • Mix together remaining oil with vinegar, garlic, cumin, coriander, and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
    • Add warm aubergine slices, stir well to coat and chill for 2 hours
    • Add chives to natural yoghurt
    • When ready to serve, add cucumber and tomatoes
    • Transfer to serving dish and spoon yoghurt over top and garnish with parsley
  • Dinner - Beef and Guinness casserole with Braised Red Cabbage and Tubs' cous-cous
    • Braised Red Cabbage

1kg red cabbage
      2 cooking apples
      2 onions chopped
      1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
      pinch of ground cloves
      1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
      1tbsp red wine vinegar
      2tbps walnut oil
      salt and ground black pepper
      chopped flat leaf parsley to garnish
      • Preheat oven to 160C/325F/Gas mark 3
      • Cut away and discard the large white ribs from outer cabbage leaves then finely shred the cabbage
      • Peel, core, and coarsely grate apples
      • Layer cabbage in oven proof dish with onion, apple, spices, and seasoning
      • Pour over with vinegar and oil
      • Cover dish and cook for 1 1/2 hours stirring once or twice
    • Beef and Guinness Casserole

4tbsp olive oil
      2lb stewing beef
      4 onions - chopped
      6 leeks - sliced
      6 carrots - sliced
      4 celery sticks - sliced
      4 garlic cloves - chopped
      600ml beef stock
      300ml Guinness
      Butter
      Bacon - trimmed and diced
      400g mushrooms - quartered or sliced
      100g shallots
      50g plain flour
      more salt and ground black pepper
      • Heat oil in pant and brown meat, transfer to casserole
      • Saute vegetables for 5 minutes and add to the meat with the garlic, stock, and Guinness and season. Cover, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours
      • Remove meat from casserole and strain cooking liquid and reserve.
      • Discard vegetables (I didn't, and they were lovely)
      • Clean the casserole and saute the bacon, mushrooms and shallots in the butter for 5-10 minutes stirring continuously. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring, over a low heat for 2-3 minutes. Slowly blend in cooking liquid and simmer.
      • Return meat to the casserole and simmer until meat is heated through.
    • Tubs' cous-cous

250g cous-cous
      300ml boiling water
      2 peppers - chopped
      1 onion - chopped
      1 lemon
      40g pine nuts
      40g sultanas
      1/2 tsp ground cumin
      • Hydrate cous-cous and wait until cool
      • Stir in peppers, onion, pine nuts, sultanas and cumin
      • Add rind and juice from lemon
    • Dessert - Baked ricotta cakes with red fruits

500g ricotta cheese
      4 egg whites
      2tbsp clear honey
      1tsp vanilla essence
      1lb mixed fresh or frozen summer fruit
      fresh mint leaves (to decorate)
      • Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4
      • Place cheese in bowl and break with wooden spoon
      • Add whisked egg whites, honey and vanilla essence and mix thoroughly until mixture is smooth
      • Lightly grease ramekins and spoon the ricotta mixture into the ramekins and level the tops
      • Bake for 20 minutes or until risen and golden
      • Reserve a quarter of the fruit for decoration
      • Add 2tbsp of water into a pan and heat gently (miss this step if using frozen fruit)
      • Warm fruit until softened, remove from heat and allow to cool
      • Puree the fruit in a blender and press through a sieve
      • Serve the sauce, warm or cold with the ricotta cakes. Decorate with reserved berries and a few mint leaves