testing

tawsy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cant stand people who think they know it all
hi anybody ever test their blood sugars in public, if what sort of reponse did you get from other people

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not in public yet but I have had community blood tests when visitors call. They all want to know more about it and be tested to see if they have diabetes so I sort out individual lancets and explain the procedure and I tell them what the readings mean.

Reactions: 2 people

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have, I didn't get any response, I don't think anyone would really notice.
I also frequently inject insulin in public, people tend not to notice that either - I've been out for meals and had the people I'm with say "oh did you forget to do your insulin?" after I have already injected at the table, they didn't notice at all!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do it all of the time. People look now and again but I just carry on.
None of their business really is it :)
I work as a fundraiser so I work mainly in shopping centres and places that are busy. In really busy periods I keep my monitor in my bag and test it in there if you know what I mean.
Most people are too wrapped up in their own little worlds to pay any attention anyway!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 people

tawsy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cant stand people who think they know it all
I do it all of the time. People look now and again but I just carry on.
None of their business really is it :)
I work as a fundraiser so I work mainly in shopping centres and places that are busy. In really busy periods I keep my monitor in my bag and test it in there if you know what I mean.
Most people are too wrapped up in their own little worlds to pay any attention anyway!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
right there most people are in there own worlds

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Odd stare but that's about it, more curiosity than anything else.

Bogusman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
I used to do it at work all the time, the people who knew I was diabetic would sometimes ask what the reading was, occasionally some would ask if I could check theirs...and then wait nervously for the reply. I remember I checked a girl's once and it was 9.9mmol, I think the expression on my face frightened the life out of her, even though I assured her it was ok, albeit a bit high!

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, do it at my desk whilst students are working. It needs to be done and they cant see much anyway. One Chinese lad said his gran had to test and that was that.

Embarrassment. No.

When I was on byetta that was a little different as I didnt want to reveal my big fat belly. I went on to once a week bydureon becuase of the faff of finding a private place.

Reese

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hi anybody ever test their blood sugars in public, if what sort of reponse did you get from other people
I've done it a few times and no-one has bothered; sure I got a few people looking; but it's something that I need to do to keep healthy I don't give a toss. If they've got a problem with it, it's their fault not mine.
If someone stares ignore them. Your health is much more important than their ignorance.