Kindle e books

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had my kindle for over a year now and I'm struggling to find decent reads.
Has anyone got any recommendations? I cannot afford to buy the higher priced books.
If anyone is interested, the newest author I have discovered and read is Jodie Taylor, her St.
Mary's books are wonderful. I am currently reading the Rose Gardener omnibus by Denise Grover Swank.
Thanks!

Reactions: 4 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why not start with the freedoms available? Then, if you don't enjoy something you haven't spent any money. Alternately pick a book and see if it has a bit where you can read an extract.

Book choice. Is a very personal thing. I really enjoyed the book thief, but it might not be your cup of tea.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have done the free books, but they only want to usually promote a series of books. I look every week for bargains, but stand alone books can be cheap, but usually someone has to recommend them hence the thread.
I will look up 'The Book' Thief thanks!

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had my kindle for over a year now and I'm struggling to find decent reads.
Has anyone got any recommendations? I cannot afford to buy the higher priced books.
If anyone is interested, the newest author I have discovered and read is Jodie Taylor, her St.
Mary's books are wonderful. I am currently reading the Rose Gardener omnibus by Denise Grover Swank.
Thanks!

I have just finished reading all the St Mary's books. Am now waiting for her to hurry up and write the next one. First one was free but had to buy the rest. What kind of taste do you have in authors? X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I like Clive Cussler, American Civil War novels, my history favourite topic, historical romance, Sci-fi, all sorts.
Another new author is Tim Kent.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What did you think of the St.Marys novels. I gave them 5 stars and I can't wait for the next one. She has a new novel out called 'The Nothing Girl'. It's not bad!

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
I don't know if you've tried Wilbur Smith, but he's been writing since the 1960s and has built up quite a backlog. He wrote two series about Southern Africa, the Courtneys and then the Ballantynes, whose stories interweave. They are great adventure stories and once you get hooked you'll find yourself reading all of them. Start with his first Courtney book, "When the Lion Feeds" and if you like it you can go on to the others. He also wrote a series about Ancient Egypt which I absolutely love; this series starts with River God. "When the Lion Feeds" is available at Amazon for less than 2 pounds. Hope I've helped.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheapie books for Kindle I've recently read & enjoyed. Of course, they might not be on offer by now, but all were worth a read.
Morgue Drawer Four by Jutta Profijt - amusing crime - the ghost/spirit of a dead car thief attaches himself to the coroner and sets out to solve who murdered him. (first in series)
Easily Amused by Karen McQuestion - chicklit, but fine.
Song of Australia by
Crabbe, Stephen - historical fiction - wartime drama (1st in series)
Witness by Lesley Hale - historical fiction - Tudor adventure
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
by Rachel Joyce - modern drama

Sorry about the odd fonts. I copied from Amazon and then couldn't change them!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't know if you've tried Wilbur Smith, but he's been writing since the 1960s and has built up quite a backlog. He wrote two series about Southern Africa, the Courtneys and then the Ballantynes, whose stories interweave. They are great adventure stories and once you get hooked you'll find yourself reading all of them. Start with his first Courtney book, "When the Lion Feeds" and if you like it you can go on to the others. He also wrote a series about Ancient Egypt which I absolutely love; this series starts with River God. "When the Lion Feeds" is available at Amazon for less than 2 pounds. Hope I've helped.
Yeah I used to read Wilburs books back in the seventies. I've forgotten about him thanks. Leon Uris has just sprang to mind he wrote tomes about the 20th century.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Cheapie books for Kindle I've recently read & enjoyed. Of course, they might not be on offer by now, but all were worth a read.
Morgue Drawer Four by Jutta Profijt - amusing crime - the ghost/spirit of a dead car thief attaches himself to the coroner and sets out to solve who murdered him. (first in series)
Easily Amused by Karen McQuestion - chicklit, but fine.
Song of Australia by
Crabbe, Stephen - historical fiction - wartime drama (1st in series)
Witness by Lesley Hale - historical fiction - Tudor adventure
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
by Rachel Joyce - modern drama

Sorry about the odd fonts. I copied from Amazon and then couldn't change them!
No probs, thanks, I will check them out.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you like science fiction have a look for The Martian by Andy weir
The best sci fi I have read in ages a book I couldn't put down

Sancho
Not waving but drowning

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just finished reading all the St Mary's books. Am now waiting for her to hurry up and write the next one. First one was free but had to buy the rest. What kind of taste do you have in authors? X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/
If you like science fiction have a look for The Martian by Andy weir
The best sci fi I have read in ages a book I couldn't put down

Sancho
Not waving but drowning
I have that in my wish list, hopefully, one of my kids buys me a kindle voucher. Thanks!

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
All the books in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin are amazing.

Dee_226

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most libraries now have ebooks but not for the kindle :-( However, saying that if you have the kindle fire you can download an app so you can read ebooks from libraries for free.

As others have stated, reading choice is a personal thing so if it is suggestions you are after you will need to specify your genre of choice.

Hugs,

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found a couple of discs on Ebay that have (typically 30,000) books on. Free with them was some software that can convert one type of book into another. You have to be able to find one book you like in 30,000.

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I joined Amazon prime about 4 years ago, as I bought so much stuff I wanted the free delivery service.
Hub bought me a kindle fire last year and I now have access to 1000's free books anytime I want. I know prime membership is a bit costly, but over the years it's saved me hundreds of pounds. The new free film& tv streaming is also brilliant.
If you can afford the up front membership fee, it's definitely worthwhile.

Dee_226

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may have to "borrow" my sons login details as he has Prime but doesn't make full use of it. I have both kindle paperwhite and Fire HDX and love them both to bits.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All the books in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin are amazing.

Trouble is given the time it takes for him to release the next book in the series I seriously fear I May have shuffled off this mortal coil before he gets to the end:(

Reactions: 3 people