Help required please!

sandiegirl

Good morning all,
I would appreciate some help on my BG readings. I started low carbing just over a week ago and have had some really good reductions on my readings. But this week I have started to get some higher ones again, but only in the morning. Today, I got up and tested - 6.6, which is pretty good for me (before low-carbing it was always between 12-15). I took my morning dose of Lantus - 20 units (was advised on here to cut my night time dose of 52 into 2 doses, one at night and then one in the morning, and I have reduced it down from 52 to 40 over the last week). Have come into work and having not eaten or had a drink, took another reading and its 10.1. am I doing something wrong here? I dont seem to have time to have breakfast at home before I come to work so ususally have it here at about 8.30am.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Am really trying very hard with the low carbing - managed to lose 5lbs in the first week which has been 'woop woop' to me!!
Thanks,
Sandie

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hello Sandie,

Unless you eat some form of protein or carbohydrate for breakfast, your blood sugars will
continue to rise until around midmorning. Any exercise (like walking to work) will tend to exaggerate the effect that a skipped breakfast has on blood sugars.

Regards,
timo.

sandiegirl

thanks Timo,
Can I do my Lantus injection and Novorapid injection at the same time? If I can, I could then do them both when I get to work and have my breakfast straight away after.
I just thought I should do the Lantus first and then wait a while until I did the Novorapid.
Sorry if it sounds garbled, just cant quite get my head around the early mornigns at the mo.
Just for info, after getting the 10.1 reading, had 20 units of novorapid followed by my breakfast of greek yoghurt and seeds, did a test 2 hours later and it is 4.4.
thanks for reading!
Sandie

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Sandie,

There's no problem with injecting Lantus and Novorapid at the same time, but you mustn't
use the same injection sites for both (Lantus will interfere with Novorapid's absorption).

You could try and counter the fasting rise in blood glucose with Novorapid, but it's quite likely
to be a hit-and-miss affair.

You need to appreciate that the liver's production of glucose (initially triggered by the hormones involved in dawn phenomenon) can only be reliably halted by eating breakfast as soon as you
get up.

Hope this helps,
timo.

sandiegirl

Yes, that does help a lot timo, thank u.
Will try tomorrow having breakfast as soon as I get up and see what effect it has.
Thanks,
Sandie

davecooper

Hi Sandie,
I do almost the same as u in a morning. But I have not been able to loose any weight. I excercise a lot and eat very little, and what I do eat is healthy. I am on Levemir (long acting insulin, twice daily) and Humalog. I am also on 3g of Metformin which are supposed to controll my BM's so I can reduce my insulin intake, so in time my weight should decrease. But it hasent, my weight is going no where but increasing!
If there is anyone that could recommend insulin that has helped them loose weight, then please get in touch. I am desperate!!!!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Dave.
Alarm bells started ringing when you posted : what I do eat is healthy. unquote.

What sort of diet do you follow ? Let us know then we can see if it is healthy or not. As a T2 overweight Diabetic now losing weight due to diet change, in part.
I think you should let us know.

Ken