Offloading & a question

Just Laura

The article I read seemed only to be referring to use on feet/ankles. I'm assuming because of any circulation issues?

I'm a bit paranoid about looking after her feet... she's so young and those lil peds have got to last her a long while yet!
Perhaps I'm being a bit ott?

x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem with elastic bandaging is that it is very hard to get the correct level of compression/support and so there is a real risk of constricting the blood flow.
She should be resting with her foot raised and ensure she has regular age appropriate doses of pain killers to help with reduction of any inflammation.

Reactions: 2 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure about that. Maybe the thinking is because elasticated bandages restrict the blood flow further or something?

Of course that said if you took a non-elasticated bandage and strapped an ankle up too tight you can end up with a worse situation even for a healthy person so I think maybe that advice ie best consigned to the pile of "once neuropathy is confirmed" since we seem to get told all this stuff that in the early stages is completely not relevant.

When I have asked the question I get shrugs or blank looks from the Dr's.

I would say check with a DSN, they tend to be more practical if you are concerned.

/A

Just Laura

So far have just gone with the old:
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Hope this is enough.

Thanks for the advice, though. Hadn't actually thought of the pain killer for anti-inflammatory purposes.

You're a clever bunch!
x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So far have just gone with the old:
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Hope this is enough.

Thanks for the advice, though. Hadn't actually thought of the pain killer for anti-inflammatory purposes.

You're a clever bunch!
x

Funny enough I screwed my ankle jumping off a high stage at a gig in Germany last year..
Now I'm a 45 year old bloke who's been D since I was 8 stuck in a German hotel suffering pain. I actually thought I'd busted a bone?
It was swelling fast & was seriously thinking of taking myself to a German A&E.. I spent most the night soaking my ankle in a sink full of cold water..

By some sheer fluke I found I could put weight on & walk again the following afternoon..
Though, when I was back at work on Monday I found a sports ankle support & my work boots helped me get through the day of the still nagging ankle.
By the end of the week I was fine..

Though I didn't bother mine. I would suggest you check with yer doctor..!