Cookery Books

frank1957

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My wife has just been diagnosed Type 2 and this can be reversed with the right diet and exercise (she is not a big woman and there is no junk food). I do all the cooking with fresh ingredients so am looking for an up to date UK diabetic cookery book. Any suggestions welcome, there are loads out there but I don't want to use "cups" in measurements, just metric grams or imperial measurements. Thanks in advance.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i generally adapt recipies to the normel ones just sub the stuff no good for me with the correct ones flours etc . i havnt ever bought a diabetic cookbook but sure someone would be able to recoommend to you, well done you in cooking fresh to x

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

Hello, I do,the same as cath, just adapt , can be trial and error but not bad really...
I am still looking for a simple cake recepie using almond flour ....
Happy baking and cooking .....Kat

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I have been bought 2 or 3 diabetic cook books and they have sat on the shelf and are currentky gathering dust.

The best advice you will find on this site is get a blood glucose monitor, if her gp wont give you one, the cheapest option is the sd codefree on amazon or ebay, the replacement strips are reasonable compared to other. Then test before eating and compare to your test 2 hours after the meal.

Also by doing this you can see which foods give spikes. Read around here about carbs. Carbs turn to glucose and therefore affect blood glucose. I have to avoid as many as I can, others can have some. The main ones are pasta, bread, potatoes and rice, but they lurk everywhere.

good luck on your journey, I hope it goes well.

frank1957

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cath, Katy, Westie and Lenny, You are all stars, thanks for the advice, I shall adapt my scary biker recipes (and others) and substitute the ingredients as far as possible and scrub the idea of buying even more recipe books. Will also look at her getting this blood glucose monitor thingy as that will help when I adapt recipes to see what needs to be changed. Feel I am about to become a food scientist. She has just started to use my rowing machine which is a good sign and can only help.

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually, the best of the Scary Bikers books for adaptation is "The Hairy Dieters " cookbook. Great even if you don't need to lose weight, as it has some great ideas for reducing the carbs and you can make some of your own substitutions. I recommend their lasagne !

There is a really useful cookbook (mostly carb counted ) here for free :

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=175

@Kat100 , there are some recipes in here for almond flour cakes tried and devoured by me ! :happy:

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

frank1957

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually, the best of the Scary Bikers books for adaptation is "The Hairy Dieters " cookbook. Great even if you don't need to lose weight, as it has some great ideas for reducing the carbs and you can make some of your own substitutions. I recommend their lasagne !

@Kat100 , there are some recipes in here for almond flour cakes tried and devoured by me ! :happy:

Signy
Thanks heathenlass, have the Scary Bikers Dieters (and the rest of their collection) and use it from time to time, some good recipes and will try the lasagne as that is one that has not been given a go. Shame that everything that has bags of flavour is bad for you (at least it seems that way).

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're welcome:)
Actually, since moving to a low carb lifestyle (better description than "diet" , as diet implies short term and denial of all good things ) I have found foods tastier and more flavourful. One reason for this is that you tend to try different combinations and substitutions that you may not have thought of previously. Cauliflower pizza base is lush !:p

Signy

frank1957

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cauliflower Pizza base! A whole new world of food science lies before me :)

K

Kat100

Signy
@signy ......thank you for thinking of me :) ......Kat x