Has anyone here been a diabetic for more than 40 years?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes, keep on going and don't let it rule your life and keep soldering on:) But I have another 15 years to go yeto_O

Reactions: Fairygodmother

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
50 years on insulin here, BOHDE and I feel for you. With me it's the constant tiredness which seems to have become much worse in the past 12 months although that might be an age thing but I am not sure. I worry about sometimes about what might be ahead.

It's good though that you've found the forum and the support of the great folks on here can't be beaten. Come back often and keep chatting with us.

Bill

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, been diabetic on insulin for 45 years now. I'm doing pretty well, and while I have always paid attention to my diabetes, I'm sure luck has played its part. We've just got to keep soldiering on.

How do you spend your days now you no longer work?

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just out of interest how many of the 40 years + people have issues because of it? I am 31 years and counting now and apart from a bit of background retinopathy I am doing pretty well. However as I am still only 40 years old I have a long way to go and was wondering about the chances of things deteriorating. I read somewhere the average life expectancy of a T1 is 69 so that is not really very good and what also worries me is quality of life rather than quantity

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed in 1971 so that's 43 years ! I don't have any complications yet, just a few aches and pains.
But that might be normal because I am nearly 60! I am still working and have no intention of retiring yet
I did have some years of not very good control when I was a teenager, and when my kids were young.
I think I am very lucky not to have complications but I do work hard at keeping my HBA1c low now.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Auckland Canary, so far I've got no diabetic complications. Over the years some doctors have mentioned to me that may be because of the direct genetic link I have. My mother, grandmother and great-grandmother were all type 1's. My great-granny died from the disease as there was no insulin available then.

The constant tiredness is my biggest problem but, as I mentioned, that is possibly now an age thing. I'm only in my 60's but I do sometimes feel a lot older.

Of course, the kids say I've lost all street-cred anyway as I don't have a smart phone and watch gardening programmes!

Bill

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diabetes hero, Dr Richard K Bernstein is turning 80 this year and has been living with diabetes since childhood - not only has he reversed most of his own complications since coming up with his plan, he's helped countless patients as well. The man is a living legend!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm racking up my 38th year & used to wonder how my life would turn out in my mid 40's.. Which is where I'm at now!

I can't complain... The only time I see my doc is for check ups..
Yep, I've had the odd slip up with control along the way.. My teens.. & unusually mid 30's where I wanted to "tick a few boxes" before I hit the end of the decade..

Incidentally I read when I was 12/3 in a medical book that "no matter how well controlled, diabetes can shorten life by 10 years"...
Probably why I like to cram it all in...!?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not quite 40 years but soon coming up to year 33 living with type 1 diabetes. I did have diabetic retinopathy but been clear of that for the last 9 years, no other complications and hope to keep it this way when I reach the 40 mark, if I get to 50 years without anything major then I'll be a happy man.

toby64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello All,
i have been a type 1 for over 53 years, but alas i am starting to have some complications, i feel due to years of working in industries of high stress,
Hypertension, Urine retention, and now allergic reactions to some antibiotics and blood pressure tablets, no longer in the work force now, this is due to accidents in motor vehicles, these were not my fault, but life goes on am finding new hobbies and things to do each day.
Best Regards Toby64

JonTheBlue

I was diagnosed in Sept 1954 so have been Type 1 for 59 years 9 months no complications to speak of. I feel very fortunate to have lived so long with diabetes with no complications and the only advice I can give is to learn to live with it, do not fight it and monitor your BG.

Reactions: 6 people

bernie25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed when I was 6yrs old I have had it 51yrs now I have no complications. My HbA1c is always around 6.5 I was put on a pump 2 yrs ago but am unsure as to whether I will stay on it. It is great as you don't have to remember to take injections with you. I am not sure if I am as well controlled on it.

uklilmo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerant people
Neatly 50 years, anyone remember the camping holidays in Suffolk. Was just diagnosed at age of 12 and at the time thought I was only diabetic in the world, but at camp realised was not alone lol. Feeling tired but due to age and other complications, and trying to keep weight down, but very hard due to limited mobility due to vascular disease.