So, how much jelly?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since finding this forum, I've been eating more and more jelly. :hungry: Sugar free, tasty, an easy dessert and an excuse to eat double cream - so it is all good.

But, how much is an acceptable jelly portion? :writer:

Mr B is in charge of jelly production, and insists on making it in teensy little Gu glass pots (because they stack well in the fridgeo_O), and then there isn't enough room for the cream. I end up having to eat a spoonful to make room for the cream. :eek:

How much jelly do you have as a portion?
How much cream?
How do you serve it?
Can we have pics?
Is it possible to over-eat jelly?
Have you ever been unable to finish a portion? If so, how big was it? :woot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since finding this forum, I've been eating more and more jelly. :hungry: Sugar free, tasty, an easy dessert and an excuse to eat double cream - so it is all good.

Mr B is in charge of jelly production, and insists on making it in teensy little Gu glass pots (because they stack well in the fridgeo_O), and then there isn't enough room for the cream. I end up having to eat a spoonful to make room for the cream. :eek:

How much cream?
How do you serve it?
Can we have pics?

I usually end up with 4 small pots from one sachet of powder. I use these pots as they're easy to take to work.
If I'm having cream then I just put it into a bowl and mash it up. I sometimes have double cream, sometimes whipped cream.
I don't think it is possible to overeat jelly. Sometimes I eat a whole sachet in one day, bit by bit throughout the day.
I have never been unable to finish a portion of jelly. Even when feeling sick, jelly must be finished.

Picture as requested (I ran out of little tubs):
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1402607103.120018.jpg

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

How much cream?
How do you serve it?
Can we have pics?

No such thing as too much jelly! :D

Answers :
Roughly half a made up pack.
Large slugs of cream - unmeasured but enough for family members to go "Urgh! Gross! "
Usually in any bowl that comes to hand unless I'm doing "Signy's Special Trifle - Do NOT Touch "
No pics, sorry ! I sound piggish enough without photographic proof:eek:
Nope nope and nope!
Does one portion include whole trifles ??:D:D

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant!
Thank you.

The next time we have a pathetic little Gu pot tower of measly half teasp pots in the fridge, I will take a photo to show the extent of my deprivation!

And your photo shows proper respect for jelly.
Different flavours and pot sizes, allowing for spontaneous selection according to mood.

Very impressed!

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must be very dense.
It has never occurred to me to decant into another bowl.
How did I miss that!?!

Clearly I'm a rank amateur jelly eater.

Mind you, it is extra washing up... Nope. The sacrifice is worth it.
Tomorrow I break out of the mould. Mold. Mouldy Gu pot!

And I'm likening the mashing option. Cunning.

Reactions: 10 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just eat enough so that you don't end up with a jelly belly! :p

I'm not a great jelly lover but would like to add it to my limited repertoire of yummy puddings, but haven't yet found a brand that doesn't contain artificial type sweeteners - I can't abide their taste! :(

Robbity

PS Rosie I do like your " jelly store" photo - it's made me quite hungry!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just eat enough so that you don't end up with a jelly belly! :p

I'm not a great jelly lover but would like to add it to my limited repertoire of yummy puddings, but haven't yet found a brand that doesn't contain artificial type sweeteners - I can't abide their taste! :(

Robbity

PS Rosie I do like your " jelly store" photo - it's made me quite hungry!
Ah well, I'm not a great fan of artificial sweeteners, but I've found that the taste is imperceptible when doused in enough cream...:wacky:

Reactions: 2 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can add yoghurt to it to make it like milk jelly, just only make it up to 1/2pint then, when it has cooled a bit, add the yoghurt and whisk. Makes it nice and 'fluffy'. You can also have cream with it mmmmmm.......

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to hide mine in my hankie at nursery school. Not a fan of jelly, no sirree.

Reactions: 9 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like with chocolate could someone give me some brand names pleaee. I take it there's good jelly snd bad jelly

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I made my dietician very angry at a clinic back in the late 70's, when I owned up to trying a tea spoons worth of jelly, custard, whipped cream & a little sponge cake...

She thought I had broken a cardinal sin... I thought it was just a trifle.

Reactions: 17 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like with chocolate could someone give me some brand names pleaee. I take it there's good jelly snd bad jelly

The main thing (obviously!) is that it's sugar free, but apart from that it's personal choice.

My favourites are ASDA own brand - they also do sugar free custard, two essentials for my trifle ;) . Aldi do their own brand too. which is very nice, they recently changed the sweetner to sucralose which improved the flavour no end. Tesco own brand contained aspartame the last time I looked, and I avoid that . Iv'e never tried Hartleys .

@Spiker invented the wonderful chocolate orange jelly, cocoa dissolved in orange jelly which is a personal favourite of mine :happy:

Signy

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
On a sunday I make 2 pints of jelly in a trifle bowl, sometimes with a tin of pears or peaches in. This lasts me 5 lunches, I spoon some into a tub each day, and 1 evening snack. But I also sometimes have an evening snack of a little ready made pot, with cream!!!! :cat:

I did buy Orange jelly this week, not nrmally a fan, but thought I'd try the cho orange. Must do that this weekend.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I made my dietician very angry at a clinic back in the late 70's, when I owned up to trying a tea spoons worth of jelly, custard, whipped cream & a little sponge cake...

She thought I had broken a cardinal sin... I thought it was just a trifle.

Upset at such a trifling thing! *Tuts *:rolleyes:

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Upset at such a trifling thing! *Tuts *:rolleyes:

Signy

Sorry about that.. I couldn't help myself... :p

I don't actually think I've eaten jelly (not even the diet stuff.) since I was about 10..? :( For some reason when everyone else got sweets & chocolate at certain times of the year.. Easter being the most memorable.. I always got given a novelty mug..!

I normally opt for strawberries swamped in cream. If I do desert at all..!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry about that.. I couldn't help myself... :p

I don't actually think I've eaten jelly (not even the diet stuff.) since I was about 10..? :( For some reason when everyone else got sweets & chocolate at certain times of the year.. Easter being the most memorable.. I always got given a novelty mug..!

I normally opt for strawberries swamped in cream. If I do desert at all..!

LOL! Those mugs!
Round about that time at Easter, it was common to sell mugs with an easter egg in it. Usually kiddie sized mugs. I got the mug, but with the easter egg removed and recycled to some other kid :rolleyes: .
We're canny with cash "Oop North" :D

Signy

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ohhhhhh, jelly jelly jelly jelly

jelly jelly jelly.... sigh

i eat only hartleys, i find asdas doesn't set as well, its a bit mushy, i like my jelly solid so i can carefully portion the jelly onto the spoon with the critical amount of cream

jelly jelly jelly.... sigh

i started on a pot of ready made a night, oh how i remember the days that was enough, this progressed to two pots, that was a slippery slope and i went onto the "hard stuff" (make your own sachets) now its a full sachet every night, i eat it from a bowl or straight from the measuring jug its made in, id eat it from the garden floor if i had no bowls, luckily I've never found the shop out of stock because i would be more than happy to elbow old grannies in the face for the last packet, i rotate flavours, strawberry, orange and raspberry, i seem to look forward to the new flavour every time

<humming the jelly song>

Reactions: 13 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

How much cream?
How do you serve it?
Can we have pics?

is it just me or is anyone else having the fantasy of trying to eat these jelly from these pots without a spoon? I'm contemplating making some in similar pots to try and see if i could suck the pots clean or if id have to plunge in and stretch out my tongue, i may spend some time today warming up and stretching my tongue so if i do try it i won't pull tongue muscles