How many ...

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Usually 2. If I'm not feeling too good I may test more depending on result of previous test.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I'm testing 5 times a day but want to do more , so shall have to see what the doctors are like if I up my monitoring .
Hmm lol . Was just curious to compare to what others where testing lol .
So thank you :):):)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I test before & 2 hours after breakfast, before lunch & 2 hours after. Before evening meal & 2hours after and finally before bed. I think that is ten times per day until told otherwise. I hope my fingers last the distance!

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test before & 2 hours after breakfast, before lunch & 2 hours after. Before evening meal & 2hours after and finally before bed. I think that is ten times per day until told otherwise. I hope my fingers last the distance!
Yes see that's what I want to test too , I want to start doing the after meals too , I know my diabetic team will be fine with this , I just get a bit nervous with the doctors , but if others are testing more than me I'm sure I can too .

I'm doing before breakfast then 1-2 hours after , ( 2 bms )
Before lunch (1 bm )
Before dinner ( 1bm )
Before bed ( 1 bm )
So that's my 5 a day , but I really want to do the 1-2 hour bms after my lunch and dinner .
Which would then be 7 a day .

Hmm might just have to put my prescriptions in when I need to with doing more , and hope for the best . Then argue my case if questioned .

Thank you for your reply :):):)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am currently doing a personnel food record of my diet and how my blood sugar levels react to what I eat.
My doctor has no restriction on the amount of test strips I have.
Funny, my wife is not allowed a meter, she uses mine!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On waking
Pre brekkie
Pre evening meal
2 hrs later
Last thing

Although I have been testing at lunchtime occasionally, when I eat something weird and wonderful...

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently doing a personnel food record of my diet and how my blood sugar levels react to what I eat.
My doctor has no restriction on the amount of test strips I have.
Funny, my wife is not allowed a meter, she uses mine!

I hope your food record is going well for you . And that's brill your doc has no restrictions.
Think I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor and talk in person to explain why .
That made me laugh how your wife uses your meter I think that's great
:):):)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On waking
Pre brekkie
Pre evening meal
2 hrs later
Last thing

Although I have been testing at lunchtime occasionally, when I eat something weird and wonderful...
Thank you for your reply , I've fount everyone's replies useful
:):):)

Reactions: 3 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do loads and loads - every one or two hours. The reason? Well I just dont understand this thing yet and I need to know how my body is reacting. Plus I like the pretty graphs I get :)

Reactions: 3 people

Saber

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cucumber
I am on the insulin pump animas vibe so I have to test before eating and I also test before bed and in the night at 3am.(A habit after suffering some really rubbish night time hypos.) I also test if I get any hypo symptoms.Which is rare.:eek: Or if someone thinks I am hypo and I have not recgonized it. They are usually pi.....d at me cos I am getting argumentative and being a pain and shouting, or some other antisocial behaviour that goes with severe hypos. :meh:
I do not know if this is a good idea or not but I finger prick on one hand and keep one hand in tact with the thought if I lose my sight I would be able to detect braille. I have to say as I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands they get numb anyway and I think that thought is outdated.I am not joking as I am at risk of sight loss due to significant diabetic retinopathy. :(

susan j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am also currently doing a strict food / diet plan. Testing before and after food and in between. Have been a consequential diabetic for over 10 years and have recently been put on long term steroids.. couldn't get a BM reading of less than 16 which was rediculous. Changed my bolus to x2 a day and strictly checking before and after every meal. until I started this plan (only 3 days ago) I had regular readings of over 25 so in panic mode. Things are improving but not as much as I'd like.. keeping at it though.
Sorry the short answer to your question is I test around 10 times a day.

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
I do 4-5 at the moment bs is all over the place, I get some strips only because I'm relatively newly diagnosed and the gliclazide causes me hypos, the rest I buy myself. Some days I stop testing as nothing I seem to do brings levels down, then bam I have a hypo, just a question, sorry to intrude on the thread lol but always have hypo s in the afternoons, if you have one while you are sleeping does it wake you? Is something I've not yet understood, when I get low I feel the urge to sleep very strongly.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do loads and loads - every one or two hours. The reason? Well I just dont understand this thing yet and I need to know how my body is reacting. Plus I like the pretty graphs I get :)
Thankyou so much for the reply , I hope all goes well for you with your testing , and that made me giggle about the graphs hehe . :p

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on the insulin pump animas vibe so I have to test before eating and I also test before bed and in the night at 3am.(A habit after suffering some really rubbish night time hypos.) I also test if I get any hypo symptoms.Which is rare.:eek: Or if someone thinks I am hypo and I have not recgonized it. They are usually pi.....d at me cos I am getting argumentative and being a pain and shouting, or some other antisocial behaviour that goes with severe hypos. :meh:
I do not know if this is a good idea or not but I finger prick on one hand and keep one hand in tact with the thought if I lose my sight I would be able to detect braille. I have to say as I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands they get numb anyway and I think that thought is outdated.I am not joking as I am at risk of sight loss due to significant diabetic retinopathy. :(
Thank you so much for replying and giving me your input , I'm so sorry with what you have to deal with on a day to day basis , the diabetes is hard enough on its own . Take care .

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am also currently doing a strict food / diet plan. Testing before and after food and in between. Have been a consequential diabetic for over 10 years and have recently been put on long term steroids.. couldn't get a BM reading of less than 16 which was rediculous. Changed my bolus to x2 a day and strictly checking before and after every meal. until I started this plan (only 3 days ago) I had regular readings of over 25 so in panic mode. Things are improving but not as much as I'd like.. keeping at it though.
Sorry the short answer to your question is I test around 10 times a day.
Thank you for replying to my question , I really hope that the new regime will work out for you , and be a lot better for you in the long run , as that isn't fair with you having all them highs I hope all goes well best wishes .

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
8-10 for me.............4 meals, mid meals and before driving etc...

the weekend or days off work are a different story though...........

I am really bad for snacking and not giving myself insulin just because the snack is small, but it always destroys my blood sugar, which is obvious when I think about it....

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do 4-5 at the moment bs is all over the place, I get some strips only because I'm relatively newly diagnosed and the gliclazide causes me hypos, the rest I buy myself. Some days I stop testing as nothing I seem to do brings levels down, then bam I have a hypo, just a question, sorry to intrude on the thread lol but always have hypo s in the afternoons, if you have one while you are sleeping does it wake you? Is something I've not yet understood, when I get low I feel the urge to sleep very strongly.
Hey thank you for replying to me question .
I'm very lucky and have good hypo awareness , so I always know when I'm low , and yes if I hypo during the night I will wake up , where as some people might not have good hypo awareness so therefor would not wake up which is dangerous , I don't now how or why but I always do , it is clever . But yes I know hypos can make you feel tired and you just want to sleep when you have one during the day . Alongside all the other side affects , so the answer is yes I do wake up for hypos during the night . But I don't know why lol !!