Keeping cool

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
This year I seem to be getting hot and bothered when the temp is only 23c - dunno how I'll cope when it gets hotter.

Any tips?

Thanks
D x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 4 people

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dress in light layers, get your hair off your neck and try a 'chillow' at night. That's a pillow with a foam middle layer that you fill with water. It's not particularly comfortable, but does cool a sweaty head down quickly.

Reactions: 7 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like to have moving air flowing over me - a fan. Pity though that many fans are so fierce, only need a gentle wind. Just thinking now about my two months on the Thailand island beach when I was much younger, sleeping on the little porch of my hut by the sea and ... drift.

Great thing about sleeping outside is that the bugs don't get caught outside the hut as they do inside.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
i have ceiling fans in my living room and bedroom now. And it seems at night I HAVE to have something over me, even if I put the duvet to the end of the bed when i get in, I wake up with it over me :wacky: So now I use a thin (duck down) blanket which is enough not to make me too hot but i don't get caught up in it like i do if i use an empty duvet cover.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Put damp socks on your feet ;)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i have ceiling fans in my living room and bedroom now. And it seems at night I HAVE to have something over me, even if I put the duvet to the end of the bed when i get in, I wake up with it over me :wacky: So now I use a thin (duck down) blanket which is enough not to make me too hot but i don't get caught up in it like i do if i use an empty duvet cover.

When can I move in?!!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 3 people

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another tip would be to invest in a Mulberry Silk duvet. I've had one about 2 years now and I love it so much. It's so light and just seems to float and drape over you in bed. Warm enough for Winter, but still works year round. I have to stick my feet out though - always!

Reactions: 3 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
Dress in light layers, get your hair off your neck and try a 'chillow' at night. That's a pillow with a foam middle layer that you fill with water. It's not particularly comfortable, but does cool a sweaty head down quickly.
Ahh that sounds heavenly, nothing like a cool pillow :)

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, so hot here in Cambridgeshire. Even the dog lay down in the cool grass on our walk and had to be persuaded to budge with the aid of a doggy treat.

Reactions: 7 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry I can't help, I still need a jumper when it's 23
Adelaide, South Australia
January 2014
  • 13 - 42.1 °C (107.8 °F)[7]
  • 14 - 45.1 °C (113.2 °F)
  • 15 - 43.7 °C (110.7 °F)
  • 16 - 44.2 °C (111.6 °F)
  • 17 - 42.7 °C (108.9 °F)

Reactions: 6 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi
This year I seem to be getting hot and bothered when the temp is only 23c - dunno how I'll cope when it gets hotter.

Any tips?

Thanks
D x

I was moaning to my mum how hot it is here at the moment, I think 23/24° today, she lives in Spain and laughed at me coz she says it's that at night over there :wideyed: she said it was 36° yesterday during the day and described it as "mildly uncomfortable" lol mind u the houses are better built for it with tiles, white walls and ceiling fans or air con. I don't like the heat at all, apparently it's a national emergency in the UK if temp is above 30 for 2 consecutive days, lol us Brits just can't cope :watching:

Reactions: 5 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
January 2014
Omg !

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
January 2014
What is wrong with you??????
A jumper????????
I have to wear a cardi for work as we are not allowed sleeveless! Totally hideous! As soon as kids leave the cardi comes straight off! But then I'm happy when it's minus 20 and I hardly ever freeze!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I like to have moving air flowing over me - a fan. Pity though that many fans are so fierce, only need a gentle wind. Just thinking now about my two months on the Thailand island beach when I was much younger, sleeping on the little porch of my hut by the sea and ... drift.

Great thing about sleeping outside is that the bugs don't get caught outside the hut as they do inside.
Had a nasty incident with a fan so we don't have them. We bought a flat pack one. Hubbie put it together and we put it on a chair by the bed. Unfortunately the screws came loose at 1am and everything flew accross the room piece by piece. It's a bit disconcerting to have a blade shoot across your body at 1am!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey scandi!

I was in John Lewis today and they had the dyson fans on. I so want one but £300 is a tad steep!

I'd wear a bikini for anything over 15c!!

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
The last few days in France have been very hot 30c 32c and it is only June.I leave windows open but sometimes without a breeze I wake up sweating . I like the idea of a cool pillow. will look into that.That is the worse my face and hair are soaking.