Sad type 1

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 11 months in to my diagnosis of being type 1. I'm completely over whelmed by it all and having a dragged out honeymoon which has lasted since I got out of hospital.

I'm constantly talking about it, worrying about having continuous highs and absolutely petrified of having a hypo and going into a coma. So I've noticed recently I don't eat and if I do I'm only comfortable injecting 1 unit. (On very little insulin at the mo)

What tops this off is the fact I'm cealiac and have hishimotos thyroid both auto immune conditions.

For ages I've wanted to post on here but just felt I should be getting on with it. I believe my diabetic nurses are getting fed up with me keep calling them!

Any type 1s out there that have been in a similar situation and over came this 'phase'?

Sorry to be negative guys.

Louise :(

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Louise, and welcome:)

Your description of how you are feeling right now is perfectly normal, 11 months is a short length of time in the long haul, and there is SO much to take in .

I'm glad you decided to post, you have probably already found that there is a mine of information on here from people who have this condition themselves (as opposed to a rather distant sounding info site or leaflet )

The good news is, it will get easier and you will be more relaxed about dealing with it over time and the more you learn, the more confident you become :) It's all very personal, as you have already found out , there is no one solution that suits everybody, but many suggestions can be trialled and maybe adapted to find what works for you.

And don't worry about contacting your DSN too much, someone has to give them something to do to justify their wages ;):D

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ofcourse your scared and upset, who isn't when first diagnosed and it takes as long as it takes for you to come to terms with it.
nurses are paid for you to call them, Give'm hell....and some are very good and there is counselling available or you can anonymous phone if you like.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Careline/

this also helped me
http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-five-stages-of-grief.html

can you do your BASAL? that has nothing to do whether you eat or not.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf is good for cealiac
So lets see if we can get some food into you, fat doesn't raise your BG, protein without carbs will bolus for 50% of the protein
[and google 'eat fat lose weight', because fat doesn't make you fat]

Reactions: 2 people

stinky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey :)

was only diagnosed 6 weeks ago, got back from Tenerife, was feeling rubbish, went to docs and was told im type 1!!

was rushed into hospital as my bloods were just above 40, stayed on a drip for a couple of days and was then discharged with a bag of meds and a 45 minute chat from the diabetic nurse!!

if i'm honest I have done most of my learning from websites such as this, I was dieting anyway but have switched to a very low carb diet which makes life easier..i guess the trick is to pull the positives from your situation, not focus on the things you can't do do but focus on the things you definitely can do!! and i'm learning quickly that there's not a lot you can't do even with type 1, I bug my diabetic nurse a lot aswell with lots of newbie questions, but, that's the only way im going to learn, i don't always agree with her but im glad she's there with advice :)

hope that helps a little, really just to say your not alone and keep smiling!! :)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm 11 months in to my diagnosis of being type 1. I'm completely over whelmed by it all and having a dragged out honeymoon which has lasted since I got out of hospital.

I'm constantly talking about it, worrying about having continuous highs and absolutely petrified of having a hypo and going into a coma. So I've noticed recently I don't eat and if I do I'm only comfortable injecting 1 unit. (On very little insulin at the mo)

What tops this off is the fact I'm cealiac and have hishimotos thyroid both auto immune conditions.

For ages I've wanted to post on here but just felt I should be getting on with it. I believe my diabetic nurses are getting fed up with me keep calling them!

Any type 1s out there that have been in a similar situation and over came this 'phase'?

Sorry to be negative guys.

Louise :(

Hello and welcome to the forum Louise. Sorry to hear of your diabetes diagnosis. Diabetes and Coeliac is a double whammy, but with the Thyroid condition as well, that's a triple whammy:( Your DSN is there to help, support and advise you, so don't worry about calling her, that's what they are there for. You have a lot on board right now Louise and it will take time to take it all in and be 'comfortable' with it all the conditions. You will get there, it may just take a little more time. Take care now and with best wishes

Reactions: 6 people

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

was only diagnosed 6 weeks ago, got back from Tenerife, was feeling rubbish, went to docs and was told im type 1!!

was rushed into hospital as my bloods were just above 40, stayed on a drip for a couple of days and was then discharged with a bag of meds and a 45 minute chat from the diabetic nurse!!

if i'm honest I have done most of my learning from websites such as this, I was dieting anyway but have switched to a very low carb diet which makes life easier..i guess the trick is to pull the positives from your situation, not focus on the things you can't do do but focus on the things you definitely can do!! and i'm learning quickly that there's not a lot you can't do even with type 1, I bug my diabetic nurse a lot aswell with lots of newbie questions, but, that's the only way im going to learn, i don't always agree with her but im glad she's there with advice :)

hope that helps a little, really just to say your not alone and keep smiling!! :)
Thanks so much wishing you all the best

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I was fine the first 6 months and then I went to India and got I'll put there with my diabeties. From then I think that's what's caused the upset. I can't go on a low carb diet as I'm quite slim anyway and I get ketones. I don't have much leanancy there. I'm feeling more positive the last 2 days so hope it keeps up. Thanks for sharing your story! All the best :)

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ofcourse your scared and upset, who isn't when first diagnosed and it takes as long as it takes for you to come to terms with it.
nurses are paid for you to call them, Give'm hell....and some are very good and there is counselling available or you can anonymous phone if you like.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Careline/

this also helped me
http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-five-stages-of-grief.html

can you do your BASAL? that has nothing to do whether you eat or not.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf is good for cealiac
So lets see if we can get some food into you, fat doesn't raise your BG, protein without carbs will bolus for 50% of the protein
[and google 'eat fat lose weight', because fat doesn't make you fat]
Thanks for the advice. I'm currently having a few coinciding seasons ATM. I'm positive that it will get better with time. Btw basal I'm generally ok with and slowly getting better with injections with higher portion sizes increased. :)

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice. I'm currently having a few coinciding seasons ATM. I'm positive that it will get better with time. Btw basal I'm generally ok with and slowly getting better with injections with higher portion sizes increased. :)
Was meant to say having a few good days ATM. (Phone predictive text)

stinky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...a week after starting insulin my vision went to sh*t...ended up wearing glasses for around a month, just starting to clear up now...still need them for reading...energy levels are rubbish...hard to put in a full days work without wanting several power naps during the day....on the upside of things I have rekindled my love of salad and discovered a million new ways to cook veggies!! lol... every cloud and all that!! :)

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...a week after starting insulin my vision went to sh*t...ended up wearing glasses for around a month, just starting to clear up now...still need them for reading...energy levels are rubbish...hard to put in a full days work without wanting several power naps during the day....on the upside of things I have rekindled my love of salad and discovered a million new ways to cook veggies!! lol... every cloud and all that!! :)
Haha I've also found a love of veggies although ate healthy before being cealiac aswell. Hope your vision gets better. I must say I've never heard of that? I thought your vision goes back to normal once you start taking insulin? My energy levels also a bit down but stills age to hold down a full time job ( although the hours I put in I don't even know how I do it. I guess sitting on your back side drawing is not that strenuous lol) L ;)

stinky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
....lol, I get to sit on my ass most the day as well to be fair...lucky to be able to go out a bit if I want to...

didn't know what 'cealiac' was till 10 minutes ago! that's tough! if things weren't restrictive enough then you gotta watch out for various other foods aswell!! :( ...

vision is almost back to normal now, apparently I was running quite sugary!! lol, it leaves a film of glucose across your eyes and distorts the shape of your eye, it takes a while for the shape of your eye to return to normal and the glucose to leave your eye aswell!! lol, went from sitting on a beach in Tenerife to wearing milk bottles and shooting up 4 times a day in the space of a week!! lol!! ...never know whats round the corner huh!! :)...

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was meant to say having a few good days ATM. (Phone predictive text)
Nice, I know even one good day will lift me a bit. This may sound weird and it probably is but I think of my diabetes as a baby. It's a newborn baby that needs nurturing and looking after, I'm not in a battle with it. Everyone has their own thing, some cope better if they think they're in a war with it and it has to be beaten. whatever works is good.

If you have had DKA it would be no wonder that even the thought of a ketone would send shivers, but just for future reference, I'm on a diet and not eating my full calorie needs, so I will have ketones because my body is burning it's self to live and I've got insulin as I'm T2. This is what us dieters do and we get into nutritional ketones/ketosis https://www.google.com.au/#q=nutritional ketosis.
Having high BG from lack of insulin is different and are the ketones that will make you sick with DKA. There are a few T1's on LCHF here where dietary fat provide the source for ketones and have good BG with LCHF. It's also a smaller dose of bolus insulin and reduce hypo's they say. It was why I mentioned it. If you like, put up a topic on the insulin board. I have seen them give a lot of help to sort out insulin