So, how much jelly?

mortiferum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! wasn't expecting the replies...I had no idea that all those alternatives were avaialble, the 'sugar free' beef gelatine ones here look dubious and have the 'bad' maltodextrin & other sweetners added in. :-(

Think I'll do some 'jelly internet surfing' later and ask a friend to bring them out next time they visit :)

Reactions: 2 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My lovely wife has just bought some jelly for me, can't wait!!! It makes a change. Food isn't just abut nutrition. It's about mouth feel and taste and playing with and trying to squirt it through your teeth and ...the wobble! yay.

Now if they made beer jelly! lol

Can't believe the difference in the carb content of different "flavours" One (Orange) is twice that of the other (strawberry)!!!
I reckon beer jelly might actually be possible. Vodka jelly is after all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol i told the missus and she threatened to kill me if j post a picture of the fridge so ill take a sneaky pic asap lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mr B was very curious why I was aiming the ipad at the fridge, so I read bits of this thread out to him (including my comments on Gu pot size and not putting jelly on shelf with raw meat). He has decided not to take any notice of my whingeing because apparently I am incapable of jelly portion control, and need monitoring.

:wideyed:

How unfair! It's not like I eat 3 packets a day, is it? They wouldn't all set in time, so I can't!!!

Oh, and he wants to see your fridge too.

Reactions: 4 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Sf lemonade is quite nice in jelly, adds bubbles

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread has got me in stitches. So now I'm the crazy lady laughing hysterically to herself whilst munching on, you guessed it, jelly!! Yumm

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Traumatic evening.

Ran out of cream at breakfast!

Jelly in fridge, and nothing to have with it!!

Faced with the excruciating dilemma of
(1) step out to shops,
(2) go without, or
(3) open the tin of evaporated milk,
I clearly had to dig deep to find an answer!!!

And so I give you jelly with cream cheese!!!!! (Ok, enough with the excessive exclamation - I'm exhausted)

image.jpg

It was ok-ish.
Nothing compares with cream, but at least it didn't dribble over the edge of the Gu pot.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No cream ???:eek:
That is an emergency! Kudos for quick thinking though - I would never have thought about cream cheese :) Full fat greek yohurt will do at a pinch for me, or else I risk going down the mainlining route of jelly, with more jelly :D

Signy

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cant you mug a milk person in the very early morning - might help with dawn phenemenon, early, exercise, food. Its a winner to me ;)

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never knew jelly was so exciting!

For the record, I like mine mashed up with strawberries and cream. It's called a Tumble Jumble in this house - kids named it and they have custard and sprinkles with theirs.

Sugar free custard?? Asda, here I come....

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Andy12345 - still waiting for your airless fridge photo... ;)

I fear @Andy12345 went on a jelly raid - and it was a Fridge Too Far ....:eek:

Currently off his head on jelly, comatose in Jelly Nirvana, lying on the kitchen floor surrounded by empty Hartley's pots with a spoon clutched in his hand and a blissful smile on his face :eek:

Signy

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fear @Andy12345 went on a jelly raid - and it was a Fridge Too Far ....:eek:

Currently off his head on jelly, comatose in Jelly Nirvana, lying on the kitchen floor surrounded by empty Hartley's pots with a spoon clutched in his hand and a blissful smile on his face :eek:

Signy

What a wonderful gelatinously sticky mental image!
Can we have a pic of that?!?:snaphappy:

Actually, I have a rather sorry, sadly personal jelly tale to tell.

I've been putting off telling you all, because of its depressingly tragic nature...

Remember how, at the beginning of this thread, I said how I've been slurping jelly in regular, larger amounts than ever before?

Well, for the same period, I've been having a spot of insomnia. Actually, more like an acne breakout of insomnia. Every night, trouble going to sleep, eyelids like spring-loaded roller blinds, lying beside the lovely Mr B as he lies there like a starfish-shaped log, snoring like a wharthog (he knows this, we have discussed it, so I'm not talking behind his back).

Anyway, we ran out of jelly.
And that night, I slept like a baby.
With dawning horror, I have tested the hypothesis, and...
(cue violins)
...jelly stops me sleeping.

Ridiculously horrific, isn't it?

It must be the artificial colours, or sweeteners, or just some jolly jape by the heavenly choir, but the evidence is pretty damning.
@zand has one reaction to the additives (addiction), I have developed another (insomnia).

I haven't eaten jelly in a week, and I have slept well, every night.

:bigtears::spitoutdummy::banghead:

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a wonderful gelatinously sticky mental image!
Can we have a pic of that?!?:snaphappy:

Actually, I have a rather sorry, sadly personal jelly tale to tell.

I've been putting off telling you all, because of its depressingly tragic nature...

Remember how, at the beginning of this thread, I said how I've been slurping jelly in regular, larger amounts than ever before?

Well, for the same period, I've been having a spot of insomnia. Actually, more like an acne breakout of insomnia. Every night, trouble going to sleep, eyelids like spring-loaded roller blinds, lying beside the lovely Mr B as he lies there like a starfish-shaped log, snoring like a wharthog (he knows this, we have discussed it, so I'm not talking behind his back).

Anyway, we ran out of jelly.
And that night, I slept like a baby.
With dawning horror, I have tested the hypothesis, and...
(cue violins)
...jelly stops me sleeping.

Ridiculously horrific, isn't it?

It must be the artificial colours, or sweeteners, or just some jolly jape by the heavenly choir, but the evidence is pretty damning.
@zand has one reaction to the additives (addiction), I have developed another (insomnia).

I haven't eaten jelly in a week, and I have slept well, every night.

:bigtears::spitoutdummy::banghead:

Oooooh Noooooo! :eek::eek:

This is just TOO cruel!
Just to test your hypothesis even further, does jelly still have this effect if eaten earlier in the day, much like caffeine not being drunk X hours before bedtime ?

Otherwise, this is tragic, and an alternative non spiking non reactive addic, err substitution must be researced immediately ! o_O

Signy