Has anyone here been a diabetic for more than 40 years?

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 diabetes diagnosed in May 1968(aged 24), which is now just more than 46 years. There was a period in my 30s when I did not pay a great deal of attention to control but, despite this, I have so far managed to avoid complications apart from a degree of HBP which is well-controlled on Ramipril. Insulin dosage at present is Lantus 16 units, and Humalog 6-7 units before meals.

Last edited by a moderator:

barbarapreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Large dogs, loud music and bad language
Hi ,have been a Diabetic since February 1954,nine months after sweets came off ration!I shall be 71 in few weeks and received my 60 year medal from DiabetesUK in February.In 1954 I was in hospital for 6 weeks and urine tests were done by Bunsen Burners. I have no complications apart from high blood pressure and high cholesterol which are well controlled.I haven't been in hospital since I was 14 so haven't cost the NHS too much!I have travelled all over the world with my husband .LAS VEGAS 17 times and we have now started cruising. I consider myself very lucky as diabetics I knew as a child have all died. My consultant who I last saw 12 or 15 years ago said that I appeared to be one of the Lucky ones genetically protected from all the complications.I am now aiming for the 70 year medal!!

Jane Milburn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
46 years Type 1 and now have all of the associated problems! This is purely because my blood sugar has been high for so many years. I can not stress enough how blood sugar control is so important. I know from experience that it's true. I have known people who have had diabetes a lot longer than me with no serious complications mainly due to the fact they have always strived to keep their blood sugar under 10mmol/L

Sallycook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who talk down to me, cruelty of any kind.
I was diagnosed at the age of 3 in 1960, so that's 54 years I've been Type 1 now. I've had a few eye problems but I've got a fantastic diabetes team at Rugby St. Cross Hospital and my GP's surgery, plus the Retinopathy team at Walsgrave in Coventry - between them they keep me on track! My weight's always been a problem coz I love my food, but Slimming World has helped - really good for me as I'm also vegetarian. Things are so much more positive for diabetics now and it's getting better all the time. I can't believe all the advances in recent years that living with a condition like ours is made so much easier than when I was a kid.

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
44 years now, diagnosed when I was 3. Had some tough times in teens and early twenties, have thankfully now been on a pump for the last 14 years. So far, no problems apart from background retinopathy. Oh, and a couple of stone to lose! Thank God for modern medicine and some fantastic hospital staff/GP!!

Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: luv2spin

susanmw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
50 years on insulin here, BOHDE and I feel for you. With me it's the constant tiredness which seems to have become much worse in the past 12 months although that might be an age thing but I am not sure. I worry about sometimes about what might be ahead.

It's good though that you've found the forum and the support of the great folks on here can't be beaten. Come back often and keep chatting with us.

Bill
Only 47 years on insulin - but it's the tiredness that prevents me from living the life I'd like. My three children have made all the efforts worthwhile, even though one of them was diagnosed as Type ! age 6 she is now expecting herself...

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You guys are inspirational, thanks for posting. It gives me more hope of working with this thing.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
I just turned 21 9 minutes ago, I've had type 1 for just over a year and I've been regimented ever since, I workout, cook all my food and my hba1c is always in the 5's. I'm absolutely determined to never let it slip though I know realistically this is impossible but I've got the tools at my disposal in this day and age, I want to keep this regimented lifestyle with regard to control for as long as I possibly can I really feel like I'd be betraying myself in the future if I didnt take full advantage of whats available to me now.

Thank you for all your insights guys, I definitely needed the motivation.

charlieb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Neatly 50 years, anyone remember the camping holidays in Suffolk. Was just diagnosed at age of 12 and at the time thought I was only diabetic in the world, but at camp realised was not alone lol. Feeling tired but due to age and other complications, and trying to keep weight down, but very hard due to limited mobility due to vascular disease.
I too remember the holidays in Suffolk, I have been diabetic for 55 years (diagnosed in 1959), I have had a heart problem but all settled now and I still work but only for two days a week, and I play tennis twice a week. I still enjoy life and keep on keeping on and trying not to let things get me down.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even though I consider myself to be a long termer already I have utmost respect for all the people posting here . I am a mere baby in comparison.To have lived as long as you have with this condition when medical science was not as advanced as it is now is simply inspirational. Hats off to you all and keep up the good work. Sometimes we need to be proud of what we achieve every day as it is often overlooked by those around us.

gill4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with Type 1 just before Coronation Day in 1953 when I was 10 years old, 61 years ago. I feel very lucky to be fit and healthy with no serious complications. I think always having had insulin injections twice a day has helped. I read that the average life expectancy of T1 is 69, but in 1953 it was 50!

Glynis1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cats, loud music and yoghurt
Diagnosed Oct 1966 at age of 7 years with type 1. Only problem I have had for last 10 years is weight gain. No other complications. Also diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2006. Total will reach 48 years in Oct this year. Looking forward to my 50th!

Reactions: luv2spin

robusto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
40 years in November. Lots of anxiety and depression. Vitrectomy last year. Neuropathy but just numb not painful. I feel extremely lucky because my control was horrible until I finally shaped up about 7 years ago. I was 4 when diagnosed and figured I'd be dead by now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an 80 year old friend who was born with the condition. She is as fit as a fiddle. She wears shorts skirts and dresses like a young girl. She has never had a single complication. The only complication (if you can call it a complication) is that she has lost all hypo awareness.
She is in my DAFNE group. Her secret is to keep BG below 10 which should give you a HBA1C of 7%.

It is good to know that with good control, complications can slowly be reversed. This is my 13th year of being a T1. I only started taking my condition seriously about 2 years ago and the change has made a big impact on my life already.

I do prefer these inspirational threads and hope to see more of them on this site.
I wish you all long healthy and happy lives.

Hilow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed in 1960, feeling very fortunate to have coped well most of the time. On the whole I am fit and well despite my ripe old age, so diabetes does not necessarily mean a gloomy future for those recently diagnosed.

Janeknight

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi - I have been a type 1 diabetic for 41 years and have had the lot! - amputations of both legs, right arm, and fingers of my left hand. Five years of dialysis, followed by a transplant, two cataract operation,two heart attacks and numerous other health issues, but apart from that I'm fine and I'm still here!! :)