LCHF Diet

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started the LCHF on 1st Feb this year, BG has improved, due for a cholesterol test soon. The biggest shock has been that I have never felt hungry but the weight has melted away and I feel great. Slight mishap with a week's holiday in France (first white bread for almost 3 months!) but back on Burgen now. I have lost most fat round my stomach. SIZE 12 JEANS NOW!!!!! Unbelievable! All those years buying low fat this, low fat that, being told to fill up on carbs- wish I'd known this way of eating years ago!
Oh, WELL DONE!!!

I am always so pleased when I read something like this. It makes such a huge difference to your whole life, when it works, doesn't it?

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, WELL DONE!!!

I am always so pleased when I read something like this. It makes such a huge difference to your whole life, when it works, doesn't it?

Thanks and yes it does, it's the first time I've ever felt I could carry on with an eating regimen for as long as I need

Reactions: 2 people

baby angels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey

I've read loads about this High fat, low carb diet. What kind of amounts of carbs is classed as low carb?? And has it affected anyones cholesterol levels?? Im interested because my doc said my cholesterol is high apparently and I dont want to make it any higher!!

So in a nutshell, anyone successfully followed LCHF and seen their levels improve!!

Many thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
O
Hey

I've read loads about this High fat, low carb diet. What kind of amounts of carbs is classed as low carb?? And has it affected anyones cholesterol levels?? Im interested because my doc said my cholesterol is high apparently and I dont want to make it any higher!!

So in a nutshell, anyone successfully followed LCHF and seen their levels improve!!

Many thanks

I asked about about finding out about good eating for fatty liver I was directed to LCHF a web page cslled diet doctor annd after rading everything and watching the video. I have decided am going to do it, I had a test day and my sugers were great all day I was well chuffed and I am sire there was a section about how it helps with cholesterol.. hope it helpd

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O

I asked about about finding out about good eating for fatty liver I was directed to LCHF a web page cslled diet doctor annd after rading everything and watching the video. I have decided am going to do it, I had a test day and my sugers were great all day I was well chuffed and I am sire there was a section about how it helps with cholesterol.. hope it helpd

Brilliant. I hope it goes well. Have you read up about low carb flu? Just in case you have symptoms, you will know what to expect.

Best wishes!

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey

Many thanks

Here's a guide to the original Scandinavian LCHF - low carb high fat http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started the LCHF on 1st Feb this year, BG has improved, due for a cholesterol test soon. The biggest shock has been that I have never felt hungry but the weight has melted away and I feel great. Slight mishap with a week's holiday in France (first white bread for almost 3 months!) but back on Burgen now. I have lost most fat round my stomach. SIZE 12 JEANS NOW!!!!! Unbelievable! All those years buying low fat this, low fat that, being told to fill up on carbs- wish I'd known this way of eating years ago!
Wish I could like this multiple times.

I wish someone had pointed me towards low carbs 25 years ago. I wish my GP had pointed out to me the consequences of not taking notice of high blood sugars 10 years ago.

Reactions: 10 people

Saraband

LCHF can raise cholesterol as the good HDL often goes up. But as total cholesterol never was of any interest you don't need to worry about it..

'You want triglycerides low and you will get that on LCHF. You want HDL high and that will come too.

This is helpful for me too. Diagnosed pre-diabetic in March 13, LCHF since June 13 (30 - 50g p/day). Never felt better!

Oct 13
total cholesterol 5.1
HDL 2.2
LDL 2.7
Tri .57

Fasting bg 6.0

HbA1c 5.7% (39)

March 14
total cholesterol 5.7
HDL 2.7
LDL 2.7
Tri .55

Fasting bg (can't find atm but slightly down)

HbA1c 5.6% (38)

Latest test was taken at a time when I'd been struggling with diet and fbg levels when home-testing. So I was pleased to have remained fairly stable (esp compared to initial diagnosis test when FBG was 7.7) and I continue to feel really well - better than I've felt for years since I've been low-carbing.

The only query I had was noting that the cholesterol levels had increased. The doctor wasn't concerned but I did wonder about it. But it seems I need to watch the triglycerides level and worry less about the rise in HDL?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can cholesterol like blood pressure ever be to low I was told by GP they like it to be under 5 but she did not say how much under

These are the normal bands as shown on my blood test print outs:

Total: 3 to 5 (3 to 4 for diabetics)
Triglycerides: 0 to 1.9
HDL 1.20 to 3.50
LDL 0 to 3

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
oh my word Enclave!! Well done ..if ever there was a reason to try, its right there!! My main concern is the impact on my cholesterol as they say mine is on the high side already :( so obviously I do not want to go any higher!! My fasting was 20 at the time of my last test :/ and they said that high blood sugars can sometimes give an artificially high reading of cholesterol! Thanks for the link to your story z

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
cholesterol is also a danger zone for me ... but it was down to its lowest ever .. I am on statins, have been for about 4 years ..
HDL is now 0.9 mmol/L and the LDL 1.4 mmol/L don't have figures for previous cholesterol tests but they were alway above the normal range.

It is very scary to do the high fat part .. but I can only say for me it works

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How does LCHF affect diabetics with regards to the ketones it can produce? I'm interested in trying LCHF but am concerned about the ketone side of the diet. Can anyone shine a light on this aspect of it for me please? Much appreciated . (I'm type 2 diet controlled and had gestational diabetes twice).

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im doing LCHF very few carbs 15 a day maybe in hidden carbs
lost 4 killo's in 1st month since then its stuck at 113 kilo's for 3 months :¬(

Im in ketosis all the time according to pee sticks
I have not started to exercise yet as I was told best to do just walking etc

Seems LCHF got my BG to about 5.5 average from 10 but its not good for loosing weight for me

Which is sad :¬(

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wish I could like this multiple times.

I wish someone had pointed me towards low carbs 25 years ago. I wish my GP had pointed out to me the consequences of not taking notice of high blood sugars 10 years ago.

Better late than never though! From what I've read of your posts, you're doing great :).

Signy

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im doing LCHF very few carbs 15 a day maybe in hidden carbs
lost 4 killo's in 1st month since then its stuck at 113 kilo's for 3 months :¬(

Im in ketosis all the time according to pee sticks
I have not started to exercise yet as I was told best to do just walking etc

Seems LCHF got my BG to about 5.5 average from 10 but its not good for loosing weight for me

Which is sad :¬(
check your protein and total calories, make sure the protein intake is normal and total calories are ~500 lower than normal

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
how long was it before they started improving? after 3 months my cholesterol dropped but the next 3 months it had gone up again. I am going for another test in 3 months so will see if there is any improvement then.
The exact same thing happened to me. Now they won't test again until November. I mentioned it on another thread and was advised that sometimes a significant weight loss can cause cholesterol to rise in the short term. I'm still LCHF but just tweaked the HF a smidge. I want to keep the faith, ;-)

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just asked this question in a separate post but will ask here too as it seems an appropriate place. Is it possible to gain weight on LCHF ? as I really cant afford to lose anymore weight, I will look awful.