Canula location...how far is too far?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Guys I put a new set in last night with a change of everything. I hypoed this morning and a combination of DP and over treating means I got to 20.4. correction of 3.9 units STUNG LIKE HELL!!!

Seriously considered removing there and then. Didnt as i was running late. pump is on slow delivery.

Is this because i have put the canula in a new site? its basically on my side rather than tummy I can easily pinch an inch so thought it would be ok?

Any Ideas?

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's probably because it's a new site. I'd give it a day and see if it calms down, providing insulin delivery is ok. I had this when I first used my arms but they're ok now. I often use my side, mainly because my stomach is shot to pieces.

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be honest Eng if it stings I would assume improper insertion and do another one. I've had too many infections and set failures in my short pumping career to be anything but paranoid about it. My pump really *is* out to get me! :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thats the thing Spiker ther was no pain on inserting at all. and it doesnt hurt while its sitting doing its gradual drip. good bg control so no problem with delivery. it was just the first couple of 'largeish' deliverys of nearly 4u that stung, not the site itself.

touch wood I've done alright with sites as such so far.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe the canula has just gone in near a nerve? I used to get that sometimes with pen injections. Even if the canula went in without pain, I would still change the set if anything unusual is happening with it. I regularly bolus bigger doses than that when I am not low carbing, and it hardly ever stings.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe the nerve density on your sides is higher than on your tummy? Dunno.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Where pumping and low bg levels are concerned, I've learned from my own mistakes and use no more than 2 jellybabies to treat daytime hypos and during the night, it's only one jellybaby and that gets me up to 7mmol.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had and am currently contemplating pulling out my latest site...it's the second time I've had a really stingy one - mine is on my legs - place of many an injection and several sites now. I'm still waiting to go onto the angled sets - bit of a nightmare trying to book in to see someone to show me - but I am getting to the end of my tether with it as I am getting through 2 insets each time I change. The first one I used yesterday just was not pulling my blood sugar down despite rather large amounts of insulin - so after 3 hours I pulled it, put in the new one - all looking good and 2 hours after everything starting to come back to normal - but it did sting on the bolus - but it's working....so depending on how much pain I can tolerate I will probably pull it out at lunch and start all over again!!! I assume it must be near a nerve or something that hurts - the last one came out looking fine but it gradually got so stingy that I dreaded doing the bolus (like you the drip feed is no problem).

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where pumping and low bg levels are concerned, I've learned from my own mistakes and use no more than 2 jellybabies to treat daytime hypos and during the night, it's only one jellybaby and that gets me up to 7mmol.

I got told off by the dietician for saying I only needed 2 jellies during the day...'the recommended amount is 15g of carbohydrate' I did try and suggest we were all different - different sizes and insulin sensitivities and carb sensitivities and that 3 pulls it up too high! :) :)

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

The problem with Jellybabies is that I can't stop at 2!!

iHs

I just use what works for me re low bgs and jellybabies but at different times of the day the basal is different and also the action of the bolus and you have to bg test to figure it all out.

The Inset 30 is not too difficult to insert if you look on the Unomedical website.....google it. Animas usa do a visual guide which links to Unomedical. Personally, I find the Inset 30 virtually painless. In fact I had to look to see if the introducer had gone in. You should be ok in yr leg.

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yay - I'm on an inset30 now...I agree doesn't really hurt - the needle looks massive tho - bit more fiddly to get in (well I wrecked the first one pulling of the needle cap :) and pulling off the sticker bit with it!) but I am sure I will get used to it quickly and am now really hoping that it works well for me and no more blood or painful bolusing and less sets that just don't seem to work (which again is probably due to blood)!

Also...might be useful as Engineer88 am I right in thinking you are on the vibe...have you slowed down the delivery rate of the insulin on your boluses - there is a setting under setup - advanced on the 2nd page and it says Delivery - NRML and you can change that to SLOW which means that it does it over a longer period of time. I didn't know that was there so it might help with the stinging too.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @kkkk Yes im on slow delivery me rep set it at that on my first day when i nearly doubled up on first delivery!

The site has been fine since the second delivery which is always my problem as now i have to pull it tonight! I cannot do the 30degree sets the sight of them makes me feel faint :s

Re the hypo - my problem is it wasnt coming up after 5mins. so a mini can of coke and a bowl of breakfast and a temp basal of -30 was, yeah, too much!

coupled with it being 5am and all i wanted to do was sleep. You know how it is! I do generally need the full 20g to get me reasonable though.

roosta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had and am currently contemplating pulling out my latest site...it's the second time I've had a really stingy one - mine is on my legs - place of many an injection and several sites now. I'm still waiting to go onto the angled sets - bit of a nightmare trying to book in to see someone to show me - but I am getting to the end of my tether with it as I am getting through 2 insets each time I change. The first one I used yesterday just was not pulling my blood sugar down despite rather large amounts of insulin - so after 3 hours I pulled it, put in the new one - all looking good and 2 hours after everything starting to come back to normal - but it did sting on the bolus - but it's working....so depending on how much pain I can tolerate I will probably pull it out at lunch and start all over again!!! I assume it must be near a nerve or something that hurts - the last one came out looking fine but it gradually got so stingy that I dreaded doing the bolus (like you the drip feed is no problem).
hi been T1 for over 22year,just been told my pump will be here in 4 weeks (accu-chek combo) starting to here a lot of the same on here are you pleased with your pump and would you ever go back on injections

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I get this with the first bolus of a new site every time doesn't seem to affect the bs so I just deal with it again it's only with the bolus not the basal rate might mention it to the DSN next week

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get this with the first bolus of a new site every time doesn't seem to affect the bs so I just deal with it again it's only with the bolus not the basal rate might mention it to the DSN next week
Have you got the cannula fill quantity right?

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi been T1 for over 22year,just been told my pump will be here in 4 weeks (accu-chek combo) starting to here a lot of the same on here are you pleased with your pump and would you ever go back on injections
Good luck with your pump...I've only been on one just over a month and for me it is worth it - it doesn't make it all really easy, but it is a lot more flexible...like I decide to walk somewhere or do some unforeseen extra bit of exercise, on injections I'd be routing around, having something to eat - hoping that was ok....on the pump you can reduce your basal and in 1/2 hour you are at that rate and it just eliminates any hypos that I might have had. The same with exercise - proper cardio for me was a bit of a nightmare as my sugar falls rapidly - again a temporary basal means I don't need to check my sugars every 10mins and drink huge amounts of juice/energy drinks to try and maintain it at a reasonable level...and that was even with a pre-meal reduction of insulin before I exercised - the ability to properly play with your basal rate on a pump does really help with life - it helps avoid lows and tackle highs too - so for me that is one of the biggest pluses. I'm still not that gone on being permanently attached to something - you have to be really careful not to knock your canula too much - getting dressed etc. - just take care of the site so you don't catch it (it does hurt so you will know) - also tuck it any loose tubing if you can - I managed to rip one out shutting the drawer in my bedroom with my hip...you get used to it quickly but I think I have accidentally ripped 3 out and that hurts! Sleeping attached to something is easier than I thought - it hasn't disturbed me. Apparently it takes a month for your doses to properly settle down once you go on the pump - so don't worry about the change - get the person who sets you up to explain all the calculations they do and chat with them so you can get it sorted. For me the control side is easier than injections - I wear CGM and I guess it is fairly visible - the curves in my blood sugar level are a lot smoother now and you can give just tiny boluses to correct blood sugars which is really good if you want tight control. I may consider temporarily going back on injections - if there was something I just couldn't do on a pump...like I was thinking if we ever did a holiday to disney again - you aren't meant to stay attached to your pump on roller coasters and I like the water parks and slides...so maybe for things like that I'd have to take the hit - but control wise and long term injections just can't match what the pump does - for me.