I test everyoune of my friends if they want to be tested

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You must tell us if you use a new lance each time ?
For some reason I was sent home from hospital after diagnosis with 50 strips and 200 lancets, and even now I always seem to have many more lancets than strips. I wish I could find a use for several hundred unused lancets!

I also test anyone who asks. My children were horrified by how high a McDonalds meal sent their BG.

Kate

norwaycook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
people who make a big deal out of beIng a diabetic
Always checked the kids when they were growing up. Especially if I thought they were drinking a lot of liquids Twenty years later they still complain lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wanted to test my BG right after diagnosis, but he's terrified of pain. I tested him twice since then (all good) but he's still convinced that it hurts soooo much! :)
I only had one friend who asked to be tested (all good as well). I actually tested my friend and my bf at the same time and they both had 6.3mmol!

No-one at work wants to test though - everyone seems terrified or they think it's impolite or whatever. One of my co-workers was curious and asked a lot of questions (I was happy to answer), but before every question he was saying "I'm sorry, I know it's terribly impolite". I told him it's not and I don't mind, but he's Canadian, so maybe that had something to do with it :)

Another co-worker saw me injecting and asked "what's that?", I said:"Insulin" - "What does it do?"...

Reactions: 4 people

Hevab

I once tested my fiance bk when I had strips lol and hers was 8 and if I remeber rightly all he had was a cup of tea. In still trying to get him to get tested as it really rubs in his family :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
My other half asked me to look out my test kit at the weekend to test him as hes had a raging thirst lately, 3 pints of squash with fathers day lunch instead of beer or wine. I was never prescribed a meter but purchased my own athough now never tend to test myself as i've been under control, as a result of this my test strips where a little out of date. Tested the other hald had he got 9 something just after eating and about 7 an hour later, so no real concerned. Myself however i got 16, rising to 17 then 18. kidded myself it was the out of date strips had another go last night 2 hours after eating it was reading 22. Called up a work mate and asked her to bring in her in date kit and spare needle etc so i could test thin moring and i was still 15.8 2 hours after breakfast. Now have an emergency appointment for a fasting test tomorrow morning. So in my case testing family was a good idea as it made me test myself :-/ . Think i could be in trouble tomorrow

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
My other half asked me to look out my test kit at the weekend to test him as hes had a raging thirst lately, 3 pints of squash with fathers day lunch instead of beer or wine. I was never prescribed a meter but purchased my own athough now never tend to test myself as i've been under control, as a result of this my test strips where a little out of date. Tested the other hald had he got 9 something just after eating and about 7 an hour later, so no real concerned. Myself however i got 16, rising to 17 then 18. kidded myself it was the out of date strips had another go last night 2 hours after eating it was reading 22. Called up a work mate and asked her to bring in her in date kit and spare needle etc so i could test thin moring and i was still 15.8 2 hours after breakfast. Now have an emergency appointment for a fasting test tomorrow morning. So in my case testing family was a good idea as it made me test myself :-/ . Think i could be in trouble tomorrow

Good Luck Lynmi, hope the results aren't all bad. Let us know? :)

Shinglis

I have a very generous prescription for test sticks.
Maybe you do. Just think of the tax payers who are funding your little games. If anyone is in doubt or worried they can see their own GP FOR ROUTINE TESTING. Stop wasting resources and grow up. You can give unrealistic readings eg was their hands clean or sticky with foodstuffs? Not a laughing matter. It's guys like you who wind me up. (Type 1 for 48 years)

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a lovely dinner tonight cooked mainly by my 20 yo French wwoofer and we had friends over to share it. One of them said My wife keeps nagging me to loose weight (dont understand why as he is slim) or I will get diabetes. He does have heart problems so I can understand her concern (she is a GP) but he is tall and perfectly normal. I offered him to test and he eagerly did so.

After a meal of a salad of haricot verte, feta cheese and olive oil, a lamb stew with herbs and roots including potatoes, tomato salad and crepes for afters his bg was 5.8 while mine was 7.1. Three quarters of an hour later his was 4.4 while mine was 6.3.I told him not to worry.

A few weeks ago we had a friend to stay and tested after a rather carb heavy meal. Her bg was 8.5 and stayed above 8 for a while. I lent her my spare meter and told her to buy a box of test sticks. It turns out her bg is erratic and she has booked an appointment with her GP.

Next person I hope to test is my brother who is inclined to avoid anything painful, demanding or possibly challenging so it is only a hope. Hi isn't always very logic but what can you expect from brothers. His only sibling and both parents diabetic along with a host of relatives and him complaining of fatigue, suffering sinus infections one after the other and always thirsty.

I will keep testing anyone who wants.

You are wasting your time, especially if you think that a BG of 8.5 after a heavy CHO meal is a cause for alarm. If it were still at this level after a couple of hours or if rose above 11 after the meal it would be worth having proper testing done. (Type 1 for 47 years)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe you do. Just think of the tax payers who are funding your little games. If anyone is in doubt or worried they can see their own GP FOR ROUTINE TESTING. Stop wasting resources and grow up. You can give unrealistic readings eg was their hands clean or sticky with foodstuffs? Not a laughing matter. It's guys like you who wind me up. (Type 1 for 48 years)
I really don't understand what you want to tell me, apart from you being angry.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are wasting your time, especially if you think that a BG of 8.5 after a heavy CHO meal is a cause for alarm. If it were still at this level after a couple of hours or if rose above 11 after the meal it would be worth having proper testing done. (Type 1 for 47 years)
It did stay above 8 for several hours.

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Luck Lynmi, hope the results aren't all bad. Let us know? :)
Thanks Popsy, just back from seeing the nurse for my fasting test so should get the results back on friday. She tested to see how i was when i was there and i was reading a 11, so a bit concered still. But she is going to speak to the doctor about getting me some test strips in prescription which ive never had so that will be a bonus.

Reactions: 2 people