Can flaxseed be baked

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Hi there,

I just made some flaxbread and it tastes wonderful, but, I suddenly remembered something about flaxseed being bad for you if it is heated, for example in the oven.
Please could someone advise their thoughts on this please? I have looked on internet but there different views.

Thanks!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cook mine and it's a common LC baking ingredient

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

I just made some flaxbread and it tastes wonderful, but, I suddenly remembered something about flaxseed being bad for you if it is heated, for example in the oven.
Please could someone advise their thoughts on this please? I have looked on internet but there different views.

Thanks!

I know this is a silly question but what do you use flaxseed for? My Dr says I should eat more of it and bran. I bought it and have no idea what to do with it(been sitting in my cupboard for months)

Callen Naidoo

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I incorporate milled flax seed in my nut-cake without problems.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's ground flax/linseed. Normally I stir some in my yoghurt but I wanted to try making the flaxbread, it was really easy and tastes great, but, I am concerned now that baking the seeds impairs the quality and produces toxins

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know this is a silly question but what do you use flaxseed for? My Dr says I should eat more of it and bran. I bought it and have no idea what to do with it(been sitting in my cupboard for months)

Callen Naidoo
You can stir it in yoghurt or add it to almond porridge, hopefully, it's o.k to bread with too...........
Once opened, you must keep it in the fridge, sealed, as it goes rancid quick. I get mine from aldi, it's cheap. You're not meant to heat to high temperatures as it spoils. Don't take too much at first as it is er, very high in fibre!

Reactions: 2 people

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can stir it in yoghurt or add it to almond porridge, hopefully, it's o.k to bread with too...........
Once opened, you must keep it in the fridge, sealed, as it goes rancid quick. I get mine from aldi, it's cheap. You're not meant to heat to high temperatures as it spoils. Don't take too much at first as it is er, very high in fibre!
Thanks

Callen Naidoo

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aldi are selling ground milled linseed now £1.99 I've bought some might have a go at one of t the tread recipes. I'm also trying to make the bounty bars but I think it might be as fail cos I forgot coconut milk so used normal milk. Can't see them holding together to dip in the chocolate. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bev, It's mainly the coconut oil which binds the bounty mix together as it both starts off and ends up solid. I make them just as "snowballs" now, but putting them in the fridge to harden up before chocolate coating them work nicely. I spear them with a cocktail stick too before dunking them so it's a very quick in and out process.

I mix my milled flax seed with ground almonds and make various savoury and sweet bakes with it.

Robbity

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bev, It's mainly the coconut oil which binds the bounty mix together as it both starts off and ends up solid. I make them just as "snowballs" now, but putting them in the fridge to harden up before chocolate coating them work nicely. I spear them with a cocktail stick too before dunking them so it's a very quick in and out process.

I mix my milled flax seed with ground almonds and make various savoury and sweet bakes with it.

Robbity

Oh it was a proper fail, I had to freeze them in the tray, then slice and pour chocolate just on the top, then they collapse. I might try half portion next time and maybe simmer the whole mix a bit longer. They taste ok though.

Holly Morgan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Callen Naidoo
My dad has it sprinkled on his cereal..... I have used it in breakfast banana smoothies.. Chuck in a tablespoon :)