Optifast: why is it prescription only in UK?

Wizzco

Hi Engineer, that makes a lot of sense. The only problem with it is no National Health Trust seems to offer it. I asked my doctor if it was on the list of things they could prescribe and he just kinda laughed.

I really don't get why the NHS would opt for it over any of the others either.

Here is asdas shake ..http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda...acement_chocolate_flavour_shake_mix_348g.html

and here is optifast
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/optifast/800-shake-powder

Aside from 40 cals (although the shakes are supposed to total to 200 calls (?) and 4g of carb, whats the difference?

The asda one cost £4 or £7 for 2 tubs. Have it with lactofree milk its only like 1g carb difference. Have it with almond milk its 5g of carb less than optifast and less calories (145 calls)

Defo some sort of jiggery pokery going on with it.

Good Evening Raspin,,

In fact I do receive Optifast from the NHS. My GP referred my plan to use the Newcastle Programme to my Diabetic Consultant. Following a review meeting, the Consultant approved the programme and the use of Optifast in writing to the GP.

I suspect the Consultant's letter provides the G P with a protection against budget-related criticism from the local NHS Trust. What ever the reason, I was able to take my Diabetes into Remission using Optifast.

One practical problem is that the Surgery's Drug Suppliers do not stock Optifast. Because of this, I have to get a handwritten prescription and send it to Lloyds online.

Reactions: 2 people

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guys,

Sorry for jumping in.
Raspin to sell a prescription only (even though it makes no sense for optifast to be a prescription only) is illegal in the UK due to the medicines act.

As optifast won't be prescribed by my doc either I'm using the Atkins shakes as they are low in cal, fat, carb and sugar and protein normal.
It's been 3 weeks since starting the Newcastle uni diet thing and have lost 7kg.
I emailed the uni and found quorn can be used in the evening meal if anybody had questions over that by the way :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hi Sanjay, Thanks for that. Its weird about the optifast thing but to be honest im not that fussed as these asda shakes with unsweetend almond milk are great. They are about 15g carb and 145 cals each the way im mixing them. I have one in the morning, 2 tomato weight watchers soups for lunch 154 cals and 24 g carb, and then another shake when i get in so thats 444 cals and 54 g carb. i then have my a combination of steamed or stir fry veg and a portion of avocado (which is also low in carbs and high in cals), size dependant on how many cals i need to make up.

The almond milk is a real revelation. I was having 250ml milk with shakes which is 12g carb from milk, changed to lactofree which is 7g for 250ml but using unsweetened almond milk gets it down to less than 1g so with the 14g carb shake mix = 15g.

Also, avocados. When i started out i was really struggling with the 200 cals of non-starchy veg. Most veg of that nature is 14-40 cals per 100g max so thats a lot of veg. But avocados are between 160-200 cals per 100 grams, taste great uncooked, and are pretty low in carb so i dont have to munch through a mountain of veg every day.

I'm glad you posted about Quorn, i'd been eat a lot of mushrooms grilled and in stir frys and i wonder about quorn. Tried the mince and not keen, but i've had sausges before and they weren't bad at all. I'll defo be picking up some quorn sausages for some much needed variety.

I've also been doing it for 3 weeks and have lost 17 pounds (7.7 kg). My blood sugar is now 4.2 first thing in the morning and hasnt been above 5.4 before food for like a week now or 6.4 after food.

I'd be really interested to hear what your eating and how your finding it.

Raspin

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Evening Raspin,,

In fact I do receive Optifast from the NHS. My GP referred my plan to use the Newcastle Programme to my Diabetic Consultant. Following a review meeting, the Consultant approved the programme and the use of Optifast in writing to the GP.

I suspect the Consultant's letter provides the G P with a protection against budget-related criticism from the local NHS Trust. What ever the reason, I was able to take my Diabetes into Remission using Optifast.

One practical problem is that the Surgery's Drug Suppliers do not stock Optifast. Because of this, I have to get a handwritten prescription and send it to Lloyds online.

I think you are right, budget concerns are key. Congats on the diabetes remission. Id be interested to know to what extent remission occurred. One thing I keep wondering is how I know if its working and not a combination of the metformin and very low cal and moderately low carb diet. I'm concerned if my BS does stay in a good range the DB Nurse will just put it down to the meds and eating properly rather than any actual improvement in the condition.

sanjay230680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Losing control and becoming fat and becoming diabetic
Hi Sanjay, Thanks for that. Its weird about the optifast thing but to be honest im not that fussed as these asda shakes with unsweetend almond milk are great. They are about 15g carb and 145 cals each the way im mixing them. I have one in the morning, 2 tomato weight watchers soups for lunch 154 cals and 24 g carb, and then another shake when i get in so thats 444 cals and 54 g carb. i then have my a combination of steamed or stir fry veg and a portion of avocado (which is also low in carbs and high in cals), size dependant on how many cals i need to make up.

The almond milk is a real revelation. I was having 250ml milk with shakes which is 12g carb from milk, changed to lactofree which is 7g for 250ml but using unsweetened almond milk gets it down to less than 1g so with the 14g carb shake mix = 15g.

Also, avocados. When i started out i was really struggling with the 200 cals of non-starchy veg. Most veg of that nature is 14-40 cals per 100g max so thats a lot of veg. But avocados are between 160-200 cals per 100 grams, taste great uncooked, and are pretty low in carb so i dont have to munch through a mountain of veg every day.

I'm glad you posted about Quorn, i'd been eat a lot of mushrooms grilled and in stir frys and i wonder about quorn. Tried the mince and not keen, but i've had sausges before and they weren't bad at all. I'll defo be picking up some quorn sausages for some much needed variety.

I've also been doing it for 3 weeks and have lost 17 pounds (7.7 kg). My blood sugar is now 4.2 first thing in the morning and hasnt been above 5.4 before food for like a week now or 6.4 after food.

I'd be really interested to hear what your eating and how your finding it.

Raspin

Hey Raspin.

Congratulations on the weight loss that's great.
My diet is Atkins cereal for breakfast (and one 500mg Metformin), Atkins shake for lunch and a 200-300 calorie meal for dinner (all veg and quorn and 1 metformin).
I think because of the Atkins diets being low carb and sugar these work out great for me as they really force your carb intake down).
I found that the Quorn chicken pieces or the Cauldron sausages taste real good).
I know the Atkins shakes have skimmed milk but since I am having only 1 a day I allowed for it.
I find that the Marks & Spencers fuller for longer thai green paste is quite good but instead of using 1/2 a pack as they suggest which is 175g I use 100g weighed out and add Unsweetened Coconut milk (45 cal in 100ml), which is great (can use it as a dash in tea too).
Also nandos sauces to add heat to foods is great as they are minimal on the calorie front (32cals I think in 100ml but if adding maybe 10ml to coat your quorn or to your stir fry is like 3.2cals).
As a promise to myself I have taken up walking too, walk 7-8 miles three days a week and 3-4 miles on the other 2 days and have the weekend off.
On weekends I will still do the cereal and shake but for the evening I allow myself to go out and I have tried the low calorie meals at Prezzo and Pizza express (while on the diet it has been the 500 calorie veggie wholewheat pizzas and not the pastas).
I am now at the end of week 5 (week 6 starts on Monday) and I have gone from 123.3kg to 112.6kg.
I am hoping the working out has made sure that I have got muscle while also losing fat.
My BG is constantly around 4.4 - 5.6 2 hours post food (I admit I have not been able to do it after every meal as the strips cost a bomb and as tablet controlled not allowed any strips on the NHS).

So far so good.
Once the 6 weeks is over I think I will still stick to cereal and shakes during the day and no more than 500 calories in the evening but will be able to introduce meat protein back in (on weekends), but will stick to Quorn during the week.
Lets hope the fat keeps coming off.

I have also found that using phone apps has kept my psychologically in control. I use fatsecret to count my calories and mapmywalk to record my walking while the Diabetes UK app to track BG and BMI tracker to see my progress on bring BMI down. I was in the middle of BMI morbidly obese, now I am on the border between morbidly obese and obese.

Reactions: WythenshaweBi

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Sanjay,

That's uncanny. By my reckoning i'm halfway through week 5 and i've lost a very similar just over 10 & 1/2 KGs.

My blood sugar is also hugely improved being low 4's nearly all the time but high 4's to low 5's two hours after my evening meal (where i eat half my 800 cals a day in one sitting). I Am also on 1000mg of metformin but mine are slow release and I have them shortly before bed with a couple of radishes.

Like me, i'm sure your curious whether the diet is working in terms of better insulin production and sensitivity, or if its just either the Metformin improving things, or that your eating so much less carb that is leading to the good BS results

I'm due a visit to the DB Nurse in a month or so and i've got to go for a blood test a week before so hopefully i'll have some idea then.

Is your diet 6 weeks long? i've got another 4ish. Like you, i won;t be making any radical changes at the end. Just introducing fish, chicken and a small amount of mature cheddar cheese (and the odd glass of red which apparently isn't to bad for diabetics)

Sounds like your doing really well m8, keep up the good work!.

sanjay230680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Raspin.
One thing I found today. I decided that I would take the family out and knowing Zizzi and Pizza express have sub-500 calorie meals I opted for Ask (being in the same group of companies). They had nothing whatsoever, I ended up having a veg pizza (900 calories in a full portion) and ate half.
I forgot to have my metformin when out and just checked my BG to be 6.5 (2.5 hours post meal).
Took my metformin just now as my head is telling me take your tablet haha.
Don't know if this is good?
Moral to story do not eat at Ask lol.

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Raspin.
One thing I found today. I decided that I would take the family out and knowing Zizzi and Pizza express have sub-500 calorie meals I opted for Ask (being in the same group of companies). They had nothing whatsoever, I ended up having a veg pizza (900 calories in a full portion) and ate half.
I forgot to have my metformin when out and just checked my BG to be 6.5 (2.5 hours post meal).
Took my metformin just now as my head is telling me take your tablet haha.
Don't know if this is good?
Moral to story do not eat at Ask lol.

Hi Sanjay, Defo worth avoiding Ask then.I'm avoiding eating out anyway for similar reasons, what do you have? Salad? I resent paying for food that isn't, well, tasty and bad for me i guess. I'd want a chicken Jalfrezi if i could have anything but sigh, not on the menu.

I had a similar experience when i forgot to take my metformin but, having read a bit about it online, I think it was just coincidence. I understand the way it works s it accumulates in your system so if you stop taking it you still have it in your system for a while after, probably days, just gradually decreasing.

3ilbs off 2 stone lost this morning, i'd like to have lost three and have just under a month to go. BS still low so here is hoping we can kick this to the curb by the end.

sanjay230680

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Sanjay, Defo worth avoiding Ask then.I'm avoiding eating out anyway for similar reasons, what do you have? Salad? I resent paying for food that isn't, well, tasty and bad for me i guess. I'd want a chicken Jalfrezi if i could have anything but sigh, not on the menu.

I had a similar experience when i forgot to take my metformin but, having read a bit about it online, I think it was just coincidence. I understand the way it works s it accumulates in your system so if you stop taking it you still have it in your system for a while after, probably days, just gradually decreasing.

3ilbs off 2 stone lost this morning, i'd like to have lost three and have just under a month to go. BS still low so here is hoping we can kick this to the curb by the end.

HI Raspin,

That's great keep it up.
So I found that Pizza Express do a sub 500 pizza which one day a week I will allow myself a treat but not overindulge. The sub 500 works for me (still veggie though) while on the diet.
I do miss chicken to be brutally honest.
Since the Atkins is also looked upon in a good light by the website I am thinking that when I do come off I may introduce a meat component in the evening with my salad but still shakes and the Atkins cereal in the morning.
I am as of today 111kg started at 123.3kg so lost over 10Kg, 25kg to go!

anjan15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited by a moderator:

abie6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
1. No "low carb" or "zero sugar" aisles in supermarkets. 2. Sugary "low fat" foods.
Tesco Ultraslim milk shake is a disgraceful product. I am horrified that it is even referred to on a diabetes web site. Cheap sugar seems to be the main ingredient. Each sachet contains 24.5g of cheap sugar. That's 24.5g of poison for T2Ds in each sachet. Enough on a regular basis to trigger diabetes complications. I'm appalled to see this cheap sugar shake mentioned here.