Help is at hand from my good self!

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh, by the way guys, this is for all the dry white wine drinkers, i find that it doesn't raise my blood sugar.

I'll drink to that! ;)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, Indiana.

And to everyone who has posted, I realise now that my first thread should have been under food and nutrition, but I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

Haha!

My first post did sound slightly clinical.

Sorry peeps

Reactions: 2 people

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Reactions: 7 people

Steve type2prediab

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to have risotto rice anymore, however, it's possible to make a variant with pasta instead of rice, so maybe that but using buckwheat pasta.
If anyone was to take on board just three words from that message, and those three words were, processed food, and, wholefood, they would probably be doing themselves a big favour and would probably be more easily able to identify and focus on one of the most fundamental aspects of trying to figure out not just what is a diab friendly diet, but just as importantly, why it is, and some of the confusion and contradictory information that is such a common feature of this topic might disappear, and I don't think that question, why, is asked often enough when diab issues are discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.

I've read so many different sites about nutrition lately and the one thing that gets to me is the fact that nobody really elaborates on their facts.

I can't elaborate too much really, as I'm not a professional, but I am pretty sure that wholefoods are easier on the blood sugar as I've been eating wheat bran with flaxseeds for breakfast using Soya milk, not cow's milk, and it has never raised my blood sugar, yet I still feel full for hours.

Everyone is different though and what is good for me isn't always good for another. If I had more detail on nutrition, id certainly provide it on my thread.

Sent from my GT-S5363 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Steve type2prediab

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to have risotto rice anymore, however, it's possible to make a variant with pasta instead of rice, so maybe that but using buckwheat pasta.
While your advice on glycaemic load is valid for a lot of people, including some diabetics, it is not universally effective.

And I can't help thinking that you would do better introducing yourself, and reading a few forum threads before you launch into promoting a website.

Almost looks like you are selling something...

A pretty snide and uncalled for comment, and that's what I can't help thinking.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm basing this thread on what I've researched online and I've been trying my research on myself. I've had some success with it and just thought it would be nice to share it with others. Whether it suits them or not is out of my control.

I merely just wanted to share my experiences. ;)

Sent from my GT-S5363 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yup, I'm well known for my snide and uncalled for comments. Also for my fatty bottom and my history for being unable to control my BG on a low glycaemic diet.

Famous, that's what I am. :smug:

Thankfully, Jenny's tolerant and genuine nature has set me straight, and I am now a reformed character... Except for the bottom, of course. ;)

Reactions: 5 people

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone is different when it comes to diabetes. I think I may be a little bit insulin resistant as the slightest hint of garlic bread sends me sky high. Haha.

This forum is for all of us diabetics to stick together, and that's why I joined.

As well as sharing my advice, I love to hear about other people's advice.

Diabetes advice can help us live longer, so cushdy, as del boy would say :)

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
:D
Bet you would just gorgeeeeous notned! And why not? ;)

Well that would be the first time for blblbllblblblbl years :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In defence of Brunneria, I also was suspicious of Jenny39579's first post.the title did look as if she was selling something, and (no offence meant Jenny) for an introductory post it did seem to preach a bit. Although the information and advice was relevant to Jenny39579, it could be unhelpful or harmful to others. From time to time there are some people who post stuff not beneficial, so some of the more established members get a bit defensive.

Steve type2prediab, I think you should read a bit further down the thread. When Jenny39579 explained further she was made welcome by many of the members, including Brunneria.

So to me it looks as if you Steve type2prediab are the one on the thread who has made a "pretty snide and uncalled for comment" tonight.
Hope that we can all be grown up and respectful of each other.
Pipp

Reactions: 5 people

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Love your HbA1c figures Popsy.

Mine apparently started at 45 (sometime late 2012 when diagnosed and put straight onto insulin), went up to 49 the following May. A blood sample taken on 2 December 2013 - also the day my Doc gave me antibiotics for a bladder infection put my HbA1c up to 63 then May 2014 51.

I think I have lowered that just a couple of points, but seem to have hit a plateau. I'm working on it...

J

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In defence of Brunneria, I also was suspicious of Jenny39579's first post.the title did look as if she was selling something, and (no offence meant Jenny) for an introductory post it did seem to preach a bit. Although the information and advice was relevant to Jenny39579, it could be unhelpful or harmful to others. From time to time there are some people who post stuff not beneficial, so some of the more established members get a bit defensive.

Steve type2prediab, I think you should read a bit further down the thread. When Jenny39579 explained further she was made welcome by many of the members, including Brunneria.

So to me it looks as if you Steve type2prediab are the one on the thread who has made a "pretty snide and uncalled for comment" tonight.
Hope that we can all be grown up and respectful of each other.
Pipp

Thanks Pipp. If we were back in skool I would let you have half of my wagon wheel. Well, a quarter.

Thankfully I didn't scare Jenny off.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If anyone was to take on board just three words from that message, and those three words were, processed food, and, wholefood, they would probably be doing themselves a big favour and would probably be more easily able to identify and focus one of the most fundamental aspects of trying to figure out not just what is a diab friendly diet, but just as importantly, why it is, and some of the confusion and contradictory information that is such a common feature of this topic might disappear, and I don't think that question, why, is asked often enough when diab issues are discussed.

i find those film clips patronising, and for some dangerous advice to follow.
This is precisely the sort of advice I was given when I was prediabetic. Followed it slavishly, and what do you know? I became diabetic! Still not linking the advice to my diabetic status I continued to follow the advice. Diabetes remained and I grew very, very fat! Some of us T2, (probably many of us) have a problem with the carbs, even the 'healthy' whole-food carbs. They just raise blood glucose levels.

Reactions: 4 people

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand where everyone is coming from when they thought I was trying to sell something.

It was my first thread, and I completely posted that thread in the wrong category. My style of writing doesn't help either, as I'm a journalist by profession, and my text can sometimes seem a bit "over the top" or just like I'm trying to make things sound too good to be true.

But nobody has scared me off. Thinking it through, my first post is somewhat a bit silly. Haha.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Pipp. If we were back in skool I would let you have half of my wagon wheel. Well, a quarter.

Thankfully I didn't scare Jenny off.
Nah, if we were in school I would have nicked your wagon wheel by now, and your lunch money! But I would share all the other loot I'd nicked with you.

I might even let Jenny have a share too.
On second thoughts keep the wagon wheels, too carby for me.

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately, I don't know much about type 2 diabetes, but I have been told that it can be easier for a type 1 to control their BG due to the fact that they have artificial insulin to help them out, and in my case, medication too.

So that must help greatly.