Went to the Doctor with a chest infection and left with diabetes

qualman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello.
Went to the Dr 1 month ago as I had a persistent cough and got prescribed antibiotics and a blood test. Amoxycillin got rid of the cough and an abscess that the dentist told me I needed to have an extraction to relieve.

Result from the blood test was that my HbA1c was at 7.2 and therefore I have T2 diabetes. Fasting glucose level is 4.9 and cholesterol 'ok' whatever that means. As I can tell I have no symptoms - don't go to the loo any more often then the rest of the family, peripheral nerves seem ok. No eyesight problems. Have been for the 1 month follow up test today so will be interesting to see how that compares. Have changed my diet and taken up exercise and lowered my BMI by 5% over the last 4 weeks and will keep on going. Following a 5:2 diet as recommended by the Dr and basing the 5 normal days around a low GI diet sort of thing of my own accord. Main things I have done is switched from sweet white coffee to black coffee, drinking a bottle of Highland Spring water a day, walking a couple of miles every other day (previously walked 2 miles a month probably) and started having Wholemeal bread (with now't taken out) instead of white bread and all but cut out potatoes apart from having a small bag of chips instead of an ice cream last Saturday on a day out.

I suspect that the cause of T2 was that I have always been the designated driver on nights out so while everyone else had a few pints of beer, I had a few pints of Pepsi. Thought it was better for me. Got that wrong.

Anyway the Dr has not made any recommendation of a glucose meter or any clinics, just the 1 month blood test today (could this be in case they made a mistake on the 1st one?) and then another blood test in 3 months. Did recommend that I got a blood pressure meter though as my bp readings was 160/85. Not surprising as I'd just been told I had diabetes. Today the reading was 127/72.

Am I doing the right things in broad terms? The one thing the Dr did recommend was registering on this site. She also prescribed Metformin but I've only taken one tablet on a couple of days as I found the nauseous feeling interfered with my concentration and therefore my job. The label in the packet says they are to be used if exercise and diet does not work which contradicts the Dr. One thing I would like ideas on is breakfast. i have switched from a bowl of Weetos to a smaller bowl of all-bran with semi-skimmed milk and occasionally a poached egg on a slice of wholemeal toast. Also any recommendations won what to replace the Pepsi with in a drinking session? 4 pints of fizzy water doesn't sound too great in most pubs and 4 pints of diet pepsi sounds like a recipe for diarrhoea!

Thanks for taking the time to read the above,
Allan.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A quick answer is that you've made a start, with dietary changes and stopping the fizzy drinks. You will have to reduce the carbs as you will find if you read what the forum believes. There's very little difference between white and brown bread including whole meal, low GI bread is easily available and costs more or less the same. If you want a fizzy drink, try a diet variety as most don't have carbs, potatoes, rice, pastries, cereals,pasta and a few more are the main culprits.

Educate yourself by browsing through the forum and welcome.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ask your doctor about slow release metformin if the ones the doc give you give you trouble.
Also think about a meter to test what foods affect you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although your HbA1c screams "diabetic", your fasting glucose says otherwise. I would wait until you get your review results before panicking. Not long to wait.

ricardoharrison

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rascism / Fascism / Negativity
yeah just echo the above, wait to you're review notes.

I was the same, went to docs with a ankle injury came out diabetic!!!,

use this forum, lots of really good advice over everything and anything.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you are going to follow up with the dentist about the abscess. A systemic infection like this could have caused your BG to be raised for some time which may have skewed the result. But I'd be very surprised if it's cured it for good with just one course of antibiotics.

qualman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All. Got my 1 month later and HbA1c down from 7.2 to 5.2 - That's all the Dr will say apart from I need to go to the diabetic clinic in 6 months time. I am not sure if this reduction is good bad or indifferent. Actually, I guess it cannot be bad - but if HbA1c is a 3 month average, then I do not understand how it can change by so much in such a short time.

PS Abscess has gone - had a root canal job done on it!

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to the doctor with a sore throat that wouldn't go away. I came out with severe anaemia, Type 2 and needing a hysterectomy. A complete shock as apart from the sore throat, I felt fine.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That second a1c stopped me, I was going to say the fasting is normal and watch for misdiagnose for T1.
Now I'm going to say the first A1c could be wrong and the fasting and second A1c is right and you are normal

The good thing is you will learn to look after yourself here till you know for sure

qualman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTE="The good thing is you will learn to look after yourself here till you know for sure[/QUOTE] - You sure got that right. I've lost 7% of my weight since the first test!