Planning a pregnancy

Tarn-type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello me and my boyfriend have just decided to start trying after a lot of thought. I have stopped taking the pill. I am type 1 diabetic, my hba1c is over 8 and I am on waiting list for pump. I am
A stone and half over weight. I am just wondering does it take longer being diabetic? I am 23 and have been a diabetic since 12, I still think I do struggle to come to terms with it. I have joined the gym and I am in the process of quitting smoking with a e cig. I don't want to put on weight and I am a bit down about all risk and complications regarding pregnancy! Now is the time I want to change my life around and be active and healthy but it's easier said than done. Also where do I book an appointment pre pregnancy clinic and do I need to? Thank you

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I have not had children but have been thinking about it for a while and have read a lot of information on here about it it is advised that to give your baby the best chance that your hba1c is around 6.1 there should not be a waiting list for a pump if you have jumped through all the hoops DAFNE course sick day rules etc the best thing I would advise to do is contact your DSN to get the relevant appointments and any information she may find applicable it may also speed up your pump application I am now on a pump and dropped my hba1c from 77 ( 9.2% ) to 50 (6.7%) in 4 months I will not start trying until I know I am in the range where I know I am giving any potential child the best chance

Good Luck
Danae

Tarn-type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the response. I am on the waiting list should get it around September time. Have to go to a insight refresher course. I honestly think the pump will change my life for the best. I think I might email my diabetic nurse. I didn't no if it would take longer to conceive being diabetic. I so struggle with it and know one understands so it's nice to talk to other diabetics.
Thank you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

emmiewallace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Tarn-type1,

I have been type one since the age of 4 and I have just turned 30!! Eeek! I have been on a pump for 4.5 yrs now and it has changed my life!!

I'm 10w3d pregnant and it took 5 months to fall pregnant. I had a preconception appointment in dec and was told a hab1c below 58 (7.5%) and this was also confirmed at my obstetrician apptment today. I'm currently 7.1% but hoping next one will be lower! I was also told that diabetes doesn't affect conception and weight shouldn't do as long as you have regular periods. There is a increased risk of miscarriage if diabetes control isn't good hence why the hard work starts before hand. The giving up smoking will also be a big help with conception too.

Hope this is helpful and good luck xx

Tarn-type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for the response. Congratulations on the pregnancy :) bet your very excited.
Any ideas how I can bring my hba1c down as it's has stayed around 8-9 for the last couple of years? what pump are you on? I really think it will change my life for best. I do worry about complications later on in life. That's why I want to loose weight but struggle.
Thank you so much

emmiewallace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey lovely!

The pump will def make a big difference and without you changing anything life style wise your a1c will come down anyway because you'll have a much tighter control. I went on a low carb diet and stuck to whole meal and brown pasta, rice and bread as they don't give you blood sugar spikes. The gym will be good too again especially with the pump because you can lower your insulin rates prior to the going to the gym to prevent hypos.

In regards to complications try not to worry too much. All you can do is work hard at your control but even then sometimes these things are inevitable. I have a couple of complications from having diabetes such a long time and so far my pregnancy is going well. I will have to have a c section but apart from that I want to be one in charge not my diabetes ;-)

Thank you yes very excited but nervous but that's I'm sure that's more because this is my first pregnancy xx

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Hi Tarn!

I don't know if it takes longer for a woman with diabetes to concieve - if hba1c effects fertility or anything like that. People seem to get pregnant under all sorts of circumstances. I'm sure there will be indepth studies in the future.

From my experience, I started to think about conception about 12-18 months beforehand with thinking (I stress thinking) about healthier eating, cutting down on carbs, trying to look after myself. It's not easy! Changing your lifestyle is never easy but you do want to give your baby the best start. I have to say I've been lucky - I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 18 and I'm nearly 34 now - but I know from doing the DAFNE course that I fairly insulin sensitive and I think this has helped. I can't recommend the DAFNE course highly enough. EVERY person with diabetes should do it. Particularly for me, the principles have really helped me through my pregnancy. I'm 31 weeks now and I'm doing well - my HBA1C has stayed at around 5.8 throughout - that's not without highs and lows though although at the moment I am fairly stable. Your insulin requirements can change suddenly every few weeks or so through pregnancy so just when you get used to what you're doing, you have to change again.

Tarn, I was like you. I used to just wing it with my diabetes - I'd try to be good before I had to go for check ups so that my HBA1C wouldn't be too high but 12 months ago it was 8.1, not as high as some but I also had background retinopathy for 2 years running and as there is a history of eye problems in my family, I decided enough was enough - especially if I wanted to have a baby. So I read what I could about the DAFNE principles and tried to apply them. My HBA1C went down to 6.5 in 6 months and then I went to my GP to be referred for pre-conception care, got a prescription for 5mg folic acid and came off the pill. The pre-conception appt was 3 months later by which time my HBA1C had dropped again to 5.5 and I got told off! I had tried so hard to reduce my sugar levels that I was having lots of hypos. I was booked onto the DAFNE course in December and I found out I was pregnant just before doing the course. I had conceived in the first month of trying (I had monitored my cycle very closely though) and doing the DAFNE course has been a tremendous help - not just because I'd never sat in a room with other people with diabetes before but hearing what problems they have.

It sounds like I'm an advocate for the DAFNE course. I'm not but it really has helped me through the pregnancy and I think it's helped my diabetes team to help me too because they can adjust my insulin and I understand how they're doing it which means I can make my own adjustments when I need to.

I really don't want my baby to be in special care when I deliver so I will try my best over the next few weeks to ensure my sugar level stays as level as possible.

Good luck with your pre-pregnancy time - it's all about the preparation. It's hard but worth it in the end. As I was reminded on the course, not so long ago they would tell women with diabetes that they shouldn't have children. Things have changed a lot.

Tarn-type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello thank you for your response in regards to DAFNE I have done insight course and training matching carbs and correct doses etc is that the same as the DAFNE ? I also have a refreshers course next week about diabetes and carbs.
I have booked in to see my diabetic nurse this week to discuss pregnancy etc. I do worry all the time about my diabetes and it does make me upset a lot. I don't want to just wing it any more because of complications etc I need help and more support. How are your eyes now? How did you know you had retinopathy ?
I also know I need to do more exercise etc. I really want the pump so fingers crossed it happens soon.
Well done to you for turning your life around and congratulations on the pregnancy!
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to respond to me