The Good Things of being Diabetic

K

Kat100

Thanks Kat. Yes, I had a 12 month all clear in January :) followed 4 days later by my diabetes diagnosis. :( Too busy trying to control the diabetes to worry about the cancer coming back!
You are brave and very brill , goodness there is always something to challenge us .....X

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
First they told me I had it at week 27. Kept me in. Changed their minds. Sent me home. Was very ill with what I thought was a stomach bug. Then sent home readmitted then sent home. This went on for a week and a half. The trainee consultant then picked it up and I was rushed to Dorchester where I had 3 platelet transfers. Got cramps so they called the crash team. They literally ran with me down the corridor and the anaesthetist was putting the cannula in as they were running. I always remember " hi, I'm the anaesthetist and you'll be out in 5, 4, 3...... Then I deteriorated when I came round and spent 3 days on deaths door in the itc unit. Daughter was in itc unit for babies. Interesting times! What about you?

Hi mine was one day maternity leave, felt very tired, lethargic and not quite right during the day. During the evening uncomfortable pain going across bump, then during the night shooting pains running up one side of back, so got a hot water bottle. Saturday woke up pain gone, had a cup of tea, pain back. Walked to GP surgery, told to go to hospital. Work colleague saw me walking funny along the road and took me to hospital. Lots of blood tests told I had HELLP syndrome, had steroid injection in leg for babies lungs, did you? monitored me to get me stable and said they would operate on Tuesday the 17th hopefully I stabilised, but started vomiting early Monday night, then like you, all hell broke loose and had a GA, transfusion and she was born at 8.42pm. Was woken up vomited again,which hurt a lot:eek: ouch! baby went to SCBU and I went special room to recover never got home for 16 days and the very worse was not seeing my new born baby, but SCBU took a photo and brought it up to me:playful: Probably like you, you remember every single detail. But we are all fighting fit and lived to tell our tales, yep interesting times:oops: and I was absolutely fine,( especially the diabetes control), before all this happened and was working too, so mine was very sudden, not gradual like you:(. Take care x

Reactions: 2 people

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Hi mine was one day maternity leave, felt very tired, lethargic and not quite right during the day. During the evening uncomfortable pain going across bump, then during the night shooting pains running up one side of back, so got a hot water bottle. Saturday woke up pain gone, had a cup of tea, pain back. Walked to GP surgery, told to go to hospital. Work colleague saw me walking funny along the road and took me to hospital. Lots of blood tests told I had HELLP syndrome, had steroid injection in leg for babies lungs, did you? monitored me to get me stable and said they would operate on Tuesday the 17th hopefully I stabilised, but started vomiting early Monday night, then like you, all hell broke loose and had a GA, transfusion and she was born at 8.42pm. Was woken up vomited again,which hurt a lot:eek: ouch! baby went to SCBU and I went special room to recover never got home for 16 days and the very worse was not seeing my new born baby, but SCBU took a photo and brought it up to me:playful: Probably like you, you remember every single detail. But we are all fighting fit and lived to tell our tales, yep interesting times:oops: and I was absolutely fine,( especially the diabetes control), before all this happened and was working too, so mine was very sudden, not gradual like you:(. Take care x
May i ask, did you / have you bonded with your child? xx

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good thing about being diabetic?
Nowt, zilch, sweet FA!
Just another impairment to add to a long list.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
May i ask, did you / have you bonded with your child? xx

Yes I did after a little while, I was very nervous when I was eventually allowed to be taken down to SCBU, being on my own in a room with nursing staff coming in and out day and night, was so surreal, not allowed to have many visitors, I didn't actually believe it was happening and that I had a new baby, as everything was taken away. But it was fine once I got into a routine and was allowed home, and my D and I have a lovely relationship and I love her to bits, she's also my friend as well So proud of her:D thank you for asking, did something similar happen to you? With best wishes.

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Yes I did after a little while, I was very nervous when I was eventually allowed to be taken down to SCBU, being on my own in a room with nursing staff coming in and out day and night, was so surreal, not allowed to have many visitors, I didn't actually believe it was happening and that I had a new baby, as everything was taken away. But it was fine once I got into a routine and was allowed home, and my D and I have a lovely relationship and I love her to bits, she's also my friend as well So proud of her:D thank you for asking, did something similar happen to you? With best wishes.
Well not half as bad as you, but my eldest wasn't breathing when she was born so I gave birth, then they whisked her away, it was the following day before I got to really cuddle her. Then she was badly jaundiced, so we had to stay in hospital 10 days 'till she was well enough for the hospital to let us home. She wasn't very responsive, and at 6 weeks she stopped breathing, I ran all the way to the hospital with her, ( hubby in the Army and on excercise, no mobile 'phones, no money for a taxi and I'm living in Hampshire, miles away from my family. Those were the days!! ). It was suspected she had something wrong with her thyroid but we were sent to Southampton Childrens Hospital for a proper diagnosis. Sure enough, diagnosis, she had little, or no thyroid.

She was my first, (of 3), and I love her as much as the others now, but I do feel the bond wasn't quite as close with her as the other two who were born with no complications, and who I was allowed to cuddle straight away. I'm so pleased for you that it worked out fine. I think there was a lot of debate at the time about not bonding with your child if you don't get to be close to them straight away. Blessings. xx

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Not wanting to sound negative but I can honestly say that although I accept being T1 and refuse to ever let it rule me or bring me down I don't see any good things associated with it. None at all.

It's a horrible condition that dominates a large part of your daily life and I worry that I won't be around as long as I should be for my family and that my kids could get it as well. What's good about that? I will do all I can to ensure I don't suffer complications but it's always there.

Being T1 must be absolutely bloody awful! I can see that but before I joined this site I really had no idea what Type 1 Diabetes was all about but yes, it must be rotten having to pay attention to it all the time and one of things that has struck me is how much stuff a T1 has to cart around with them.
I can't say that having T2 is any kind of a ball either but if I have to have diabetes I know which one I would rather deal with.

I think that the way you and it seems, every T1 on here is dealing with it, is admirable.

Take care ;)

Reactions: 9 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Good things about being Type 2? Oh yes, lots really.

The best thing is not feeling like I am falling asleep all over the place all of the time! I mean for goodness sake, who knew that eating all that carb could be that dangerous? Getting my diagnosis explained why I felt so ill all the time and joining this amazing forum saved me. :happy: Heck! So here I am, age 62 after a lifetime of an eating addiction which had me by the throat all of my life, feeling SO much better, really incredibly much better than I ever have. I am now in control of my eating, I have learned that exercise isn't the evil I always thought it was and can actually make me feel a lot better....who knew!! I've lost weight, wear smaller clothes and for the very first time in my life ever....I have hope. I can see clearly instead of through an overeating fog, that my future is bright, that my health is better than ever and I am happy. Yep...happy. No guilt anymore or beating myself up over my shortcomings or thinking I am second rate.

Good grief! I don't think I knew all that before I started typing! Wow! Lucky me ...oh and of course, I have met some wonderful people on here, people who have given me sympathy and good advice, have shown empathy and understanding and without whom I would have still be in that horrible fog.

Thanks guys ;)

Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think that the way you and it seems, every T1 on here is dealing with it, is admirable.

That's kind of you Popsy :)

No matter what type of diabetes you have you do have to keep a positive state of mind otherwise it can drag you down into the gutter.

Reactions: 7 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
They are much better organised for recreational cycling on the Continent. The UK is dominated by road racers. Germany has cycle routes along all the major rivers for example. The Elbe Cycle Route goes all the way from the Czech border to the North Sea, 1260km, in some places on both sides of the river so you can make circular routes. I fancy taking a cheap flight to Hamburg, hiring a bike cycling down river towards the sea on the north side, cross over via the ferry and then back to Hamburg. It'd be nice to take 4 or 5 days over it and take in some of the sites like Stade.

Elbe Cycle Route

altesland07_03.jpg
There are many cycle paths in Scotland, but serious cyclists never use them.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yes had the injection and the constant vomiting but still didn't operate. Was packed into an ambulance for 2 hours drive with blues and twos and blood transfusions. Hospital was livid. Apparently I was too ill too move and had they left it any longer we would have died. The surgeon told me afterwards that all they could do was operate and pray. For 3 days they didn't know if I would make it. They thought my daughter would. And as it turns out we both did. I was desperate to hold her. Everyone, including hubbies work colleagues saw her before me. That really hurt. When we finally got home I couldn't put her down. My girls are the most important people in my life even though I love my hubbie and family very much!

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Well not half as bad as you, but my eldest wasn't breathing when she was born so I gave birth, then they whisked her away, it was the following day before I got to really cuddle her. Then she was badly jaundiced, so we had to stay in hospital 10 days 'till she was well enough for the hospital to let us home. She wasn't very responsive, and at 6 weeks she stopped breathing, I ran all the way to the hospital with her, ( hubby in the Army and on excercise, no mobile 'phones, no money for a taxi and I'm living in Hampshire, miles away from my family. Those were the days!! ). It was suspected she had something wrong with her thyroid but we were sent to Southampton Childrens Hospital for a proper diagnosis. Sure enough, diagnosis, she had little, or no thyroid.

She was my first, (of 3), and I love her as much as the others now, but I do feel the bond wasn't quite as close with her as the other two who were born with no complications, and who I was allowed to cuddle straight away. I'm so pleased for you that it worked out fine. I think there was a lot of debate at the time about not bonding with your child if you don't get to be close to them straight away. Blessings. xx
That must have been terrifying! I was the opposite. I wanted to cuddle her all the time - I think it's because we had so many problems! Although that said, she's a total daddy's girl whereas the youngest is a mummy's girl. I had preeclampsia with her lol!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many cycle paths in Scotland, but serious cyclists never use them.

Good, more room for the recreational cyclists :) Nothing wrong in cycling for fun.

I caught the train from Hamburg to Lüneburg last december. There were about 5000 bikes parked outside the railway station. Not a drop handle barred bike in sight. All the cyclists cycle from the villages to the railway station, park up and catch the train to Hamburg to work. I doubt our station, which is on a main line, even has a single rack for bikes.

K

Kat100

I am sending everyone here on this thread a big hug ( big hug) We all deserve it .....love Kat X

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i watched a film once called "the secret" probably everyones seen it, for a second or two it sounded reasonable, the basic idea is that if you believe something is going to happen it will, this I've since decided is daft but there was a thing they suggested everyone does in the morning, when you wake you write down...

i am happy and grateful because _____________

and you fill in the blank, i have tried this and although i don't physically write it down i do consider this, we all have things to be grateful for and sometimes its easy to see past them and focus only on the negatives, this is of course easy for me to say with minor aches and pains when some people suffer each day, but give it a try, its starts you off on a positive note for the day

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i watched a film once called "the secret" probably everyones seen it, for a second or two it sounded reasonable, the basic idea is that if you believe something is going to happen it will, this I've since decided is daft but there was a thing they suggested everyone does in the morning, when you wake you write down...

i am happy and grateful because _____________

and you fill in the blank, i have tried this and although i don't physically write it down i do consider this, we all have things to be grateful for and sometimes its easy to see past them and focus only on the negatives, this is of course easy for me to say with minor aches and pains when some people suffer each day, but give it a try, its starts you off on a positive note for the day
Not seen the film but yes, I suppose I often do this too, but maybe not often enough. I still don't think there's anything good about being diabetic, but it's better than having some other conditions.

Now I'm just going to write something down because then it will come true.......It will, definitely.

Reactions: 4 people