AND ANOTHER NEWBIE TYPE 2

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I've been looking on here for around a month now but only just plucked up the courage to join. Diagnosed earlier this year but basically ignored it for a few months. At the end of April pulled my head out of the sand and decided that I would try, yet again to lose some weight. Easier said than done. I have picked up a few tips from looking at the forum posts, Zand's in particular, have read it all through and am now losing weight and trying to cut the carbs. Now determined once I have lost some weight to bring some exercise back into my life. I'm a real couch potato so that is going to be hard. Any tips to help start moving more would be appreciated. I have a bad knee, probably from carrying too much weight and hope this will improve as I lose the weight. If there is anybody out there in the same position I would love to hear from you. I lead a pretty solitary life so need some help from somewhere please!!! I need to be kept motivated...

Love to hear from type 2's old, new and those that have managed to reverse their diagnosis

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Poppy Petal X

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Welcome poppy. Most of the type 2s here seem to have a similar story. You have probably done the right thing by cutting carbs. If you have any questions, there will be someone here who can help I am sure.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I've been looking on here for around a month now but only just plucked up the courage to join. Diagnosed earlier this year but basically ignored it for a few months. At the end of April pulled my head out of the sand and decided that I would try, yet again to lose some weight. Easier said than done. I have picked up a few tips from looking at the forum posts, Zand's in particular, have read it all through and am now losing weight and trying to cut the carbs. Now determined once I have lost some weight to bring some exercise back into my life. I'm a real couch potato so that is going to be hard. Any tips to help start moving more would be appreciated. I have a bad knee, probably from carrying too much weight and hope this will improve as I lose the weight. If there is anybody out there in the same position I would love to hear from you. I lead a pretty solitary life so need some help from somewhere please!!! I need to be kept motivated...

Love to hear from type 2's old, new and those that have managed to reverse their diagnosis

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Poppy Petal X
Hello PoppyPetal
Glad you have read zand's thread. She is inspirational.
You have done the right thing by joining forum. Keep browsing and asking questions and sharing experiences. We learn from each other.
Pipp

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Hello and Welcome PoppyPetal! :)

I am glad you have joined, it's never easy dealing with this is it? Exercise when you haven't done it much before is pretty hard and I find that the hardest thing is actually getting started. I have knees that can't take any impact really so walking is out for me these days which is sad but I have an exercise bike and I can swim, I do aqua aerobics when I can get into town, it's really low impact and fun too. I find too, that every day stuff is doable. Like the old one of parking a bit further away from the shop? Stairs I can't do so well now but I can and do manage other things. Sometimes it takes a bit of brain clashing to change habits and the one of "Oh I can't be bothered" was one I had to deal with. Like, I can't be bothered to hang the washing out, I'll do it tomorrow, stuff like that. Every bit of movement you can include in your life will make a difference..honestly! ;) And it does get easier too.

Good Luck Poppy, :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Poppy, and welcome from me. I'm a type 2, diagnosed in January. Jump in and join us, we don't bite very often ;)

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Poppy, I am T2 since February this year. Glad you plucked up the courage to join, the advice on here is the best ever. Lots of lovely people ready to help if you need it. Have a good look round the site you will be surprised what information and tips you will pick up to help keep you motivated. You will soon get your head round it, it does get easier.

Good luck

Marilyn

Reactions: 3 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
When I was told I had type 2 diabetes 4 months ago I assumed death was imminent. Now I feel healthier than I have done for years.

Reactions: 3 people

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all of your replies. I will keep browsing when I have time as just picking up one small thing here and there will hopefully help me. I know I should try parking that bit further away etc etc but rarely ever do so that will be my mission for this week! It is only something small but it is a start as I usually always park as near as I can to where I want to be. Lazy or what? One step at a time.... Also know that I should get up and I go for frequent small walks as I am working on a computer all day but again never do....maybe try and add that in as well. I do more walking at the week ends as I usually look after my little grandson so we are usually out and about but nowhere near the 10,000 steps a day that we are supposed to do.! I hope I will feel a lot healthier after four months low carbing as I seem to have been doing pretty well this last 8 weeks.

Poppy Petal

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what I did..
take the batteries out of the tv remote [that still is a good idea] no lack of motivation to change to my favourite show,
stand up for 15 min an hour, move a bit while watching tele [standing is exercise for us teletubbies]
I'm still to put my laptop/notebook somewhere where I have to stand all the time to use it ..maybe next month [read that as never]

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hydro therapy/exercise then, non-weight bearing exercise. If I have to be somewhere at a time is a lot better than I'll do that this afternoon