Me andd my partner are planning on trying for a baby

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
me and my partner are planning on trying for a baby just wondered how on track your diabetes has to be prior to trying im type 1.

volorg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
Hi congratulations on your decision! I am type 2 so I am not sure if my experience is the same as yours, before I became pregnant my Hba1c was around 6 - I think for over of year. Whilst pregnant, I was aiming to keep it at that level. I was put on insulin to help with that and I didn't go above 6.5 whilst pregnant.

They obviously want you to have good control the risk of complications but I know that women with poor control go on to have healthy babies and uncomplicated pregnancies.

Just out of interest, what is your sugar control like at the moment?

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ah thank you

At the moment it is all over the place and I am really trying to get it on track were going to start trying in September. I just worry constantly things are going to go wrong xx
thank you for replying xx

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Hi, I have two gorgeous boys, one 13 and one 10. Having been type one since age 11 and having had periods of "all over the place" control at points in my life I thought long and hard and had LOTS of discussions with my diabetes doctors and nurses before starting a family, my control was really good while pregnant but it was very hard work. Of course it was totally worth it and I was lucky in that although both boys were born a fair bit early and were quite small they were well after initial low blood sugars were regulated.
I just wanted to say that I now have an insulin pump and if I had had it then everything would have been so much better and easier for me and the boys! Worth thinking about but more than that worth making sure that you have a treatment plan that you feel fully in control of and know how to adjust safely so that you feel in control and well throughout your pregnancy I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST AT THIS EXCITING TIME. Enjoy. Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have two gorgeous boys, one 13 and one 10. Having been type one since age 11 and having had periods of "all over the place" control at points in my life I thought long and hard and had LOTS of discussions with my diabetes doctors and nurses before starting a family, my control was really good while pregnant but it was very hard work. Of course it was totally worth it and I was lucky in that although both boys were born a fair bit early and were quite small they were well after initial low blood sugars were regulated.
I just wanted to say that I now have an insulin pump and if I had had it then everything would have been so much better and easier for me and the boys! Worth thinking about but more than that worth making sure that you have a treatment plan that you feel fully in control of and know how to adjust safely so that you feel in control and well throughout your pregnancy I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST AT THIS EXCITING TIME. Enjoy. Rx

Hiya, Its so nice to hear from you im constantly worrying now and we haven't even started trying yet!! I am trying my best to get my diabetes back on track ive has type 1 since I was 8 and am now 23 so through my late teens its not been great. Is it work taking folic acid now? I have thought about having a pump but worry about what they look like etc etc xxx

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Hi again, I felt the same about the pump but it has made life very different...in a good way. I can still be self conscious about it at times but if I had had it for pregnancy, breast feeding and life with toddlers I am pretty sure that I would have been less stressed and would have spent less time shoving lucozade down my neck to sort out all those hypos from a busy life. You can turn it down, turn it up, correct for something you misjudged the carbohydrate in earlier, and it tells you the correction instead of you trying to do complicated calculations about how long your insulin has been working for and whether or not you might have to run for a bus...Life is great with wee people, honest.LOL. I wish you much Good luck. R:D

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds really good you slowly convincing me. I am defiantly going to look into this my bs are all over the place. Was your pump funded? xx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I have just read these posts ,
I was diagnosed at 7 and I am now 22 , so very similar ages .
Also I am planning for a baby with my partner , thought it would be good to keep in contact and see how each other's journey is going .

I have been to the diabetes team , that sent me to my doctors to start taking 5 mg of folic acid . So I started that last night .
And I'm now waiting to get a number to ring and book a pre conception clinic appointment . As not to sure where to ring .

What is you latest hba1c ?

:):):)

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Kirstfinley, I applaud you for wanting to get your numbers into a good range before trying for a baby. And Cloe: very good advice about the folic acid - even when you are only thinking about starting a baby!

I have no first-hand experience with this, but the mother of my two lovely and healthy grandchildren had gestational diabetes and was closely supervised by the university hospital in Copenhagen, so i hope you will have a good team to work with you.

Not to scare you in any way, but when her time came she had to have acute cesarians on both occasions (baby's life signs diminishing). My son reported that the doctor was litterally hopping up and down asking whether the sedation had now worked ... - wanted to get the baby out ...

annelise

Reactions: 2 people

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes Lothian, my local health board funded it and are doing more now, it is great if others won't have to wait so long. I was on the waiting list for nearly three years I am afraid, my control was good but so many highs and lows over each day that it was exhausting. Less so since the pump, it is now almost never that I feel I do not know why my sugar is up or down. R

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Y
Hey I have just read these posts ,
I was diagnosed at 7 and I am now 22 , so very similar ages .
Also I am planning for a baby with my partner , thought it would be good to keep in contact and see how each other's journey is going .

I have been to the diabetes team , that sent me to my doctors to start taking 5 mg of folic acid . So I started that last night .
And I'm now waiting to get a number to ring and book a pre conception clinic appointment . As not to sure where to ring .

What is you latest hba1c ?

Hiya, Yes I am 22, 23 in August easier to say 23 lol! So were in the same situation my last hb was 11 so very high and am now getting back on track its amazing how different controlling your diabetes makes you feel! When are you planning on trying? xx

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kirstfinley, I applaud you for wanting to get your numbers into a good range before trying for a baby. And Cloe: very good advice about the folic acid - even when you are only thinking about starting a baby!

I have no first-hand experience with this, but the mother of my two lovely and healthy grandchildren had gestational diabetes and was closely supervised by the university hospital in Copenhagen, so i hope you will have a good team to work with you.

Not to scare you in any way, but when her time came she had to have acute cesarians on both occasions (baby's life signs diminishing). My son reported that the doctor was litterally hopping up and down asking whether the sedation had now worked ... - wanted to get the baby out ...

annelise

Oh really! I do worry constantly but the only person who can do there best to make things better and easier is me and have now got to a point in my life where I no things wont get better unless I start getting to where I need to be.

I'm very excited to get moving me and my partner have been together nearly 6 years! And its time for the next chapter in our lives!

Time to get my bum into gear and do whats best for me. I havent yet mentioned to my docs about pregnancy but will do when my hb is at the right level

Thank you for your reply x

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Good luck. I'm T2 and didn't have diabetes when I had mine but just wanted to add my support. Even though we are totally broke they are the best people in my life and I love my hubbie and family dearly! I had hellp syndrome with my first who was born at week 29 and preeclampsia with my 2nd born at 37 weeks but I wouldn't change a thing. Kids are fab (most of the time!) :D

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Y

Hiya, Yes I am 22, 23 in August easier to say 23 lol! So were in the same situation my last hb was 11 so very high and am now getting back on track its amazing how different controlling your diabetes makes you feel! When are you planning on trying? xx
Oh wow yes deffinately in the same position , I'm 23 in January . Well we have been thinking of pregnancy for a while now , and when we fount out my hba1c we thought now is the time to bring it up to my diabetes team , done so , was sent for folic acid like I said .
So here was my dilemma , dibetes team , folic acid 3 months and go to pre conception clinic .
Doctor - 6 weeks folic acid she's happy with all my bloods and had my rubella immunity bloods . And said I can start trying now .
So was told two different things by professionals, from advice on here and what me and partner have decided is to go to the pre conception clinic . I can not find the number so am waiting for my diabetes nurse to ring me Monday and hopefully she will have this .
So the answer is I'm going to wait and go pre conception and see when they think I can start trying . But I'm deffo going in the right direction and am very happy about things . What about yourself ?

Sorry for the long reply lol

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha thats alright- Well like I say im starting to get my blood sugars on track before we start we was aiming for Sept Oct time! Which should hopefully give my hb level to come down a hell of a lot. Do you think it will be a good idea to see doctor? I didnt even realise there was a preconception clinic until coming on here lol! Is your diabetes well in control?

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha thats alright- Well like I say im starting to get my blood sugars on track before we start we was aiming for Sept Oct time! Which should hopefully give my hb level to come down a hell of a lot. Do you think it will be a good idea to see doctor? I didnt even realise there was a preconception clinic until coming on here lol! Is your diabetes well in control?

You could see the doctor just so they know what your plans are , and as you said sept oct time , that is roughly 3-4 months away .
And my diabetes team had told me to be on folic acid for three months before I tried . So maybe an idea to mention to doctor to see if they think your ready to start taking folic acid .
6 months ago my hba1c was 6.4% . My current hba1c is 6.7% . So have had a hba1c within the 6 range for a year . Before that I was a 7.5% .
So at the moment I feel I have good control obviously could always be that bit better as i will get the odd high ect . But I feel happy with my hba1c and so are my doctors . I never knew of the pre conception clinic neither did my doctor. Untill diabetes nurse mentioned it and people on here .
It's brilliant that you want to get your hba1c down and your not just trying as everyone wants to be in the best health to give a good start to pregnancy . You sound like your heading in the right direction .

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could see the doctor just so they know what your plans are , and as you said sept oct time , that is roughly 3-4 months away .
And my diabetes team had told me to be on folic acid for three months before I tried . So maybe an idea to mention to doctor to see if they think your ready to start taking folic acid .
6 months ago my hba1c was 6.4% . My current hba1c is 6.7% . So have had a hba1c within the 6 range for a year . Before that I was a 7.5% .
So at the moment I feel I have good control obviously could always be that bit better as i will get the odd high ect . But I feel happy with my hba1c and so are my doctors . I never knew of the pre conception clinic neither did my doctor. Untill diabetes nurse mentioned it and people on here .
It's brilliant that you want to get your hba1c down and your not just trying as everyone wants to be in the best health to give a good start to pregnancy . You sound like your heading in the right direction .

Isnt it right that we have to have a higher dosage of folic acid also? Yes I do feel a hell of a lot better at the moment constantly checking my blood and seeing where I am. I know long term if i don't change now its not going to do me any good. Would be nice to speak to you so I don't feel alone. I don't know anybody with diabetes apart from my mum who was diagnosed 3 years after me so she hasn't experienced the pregnancy side of things :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Isnt it right that we have to have a higher dosage of folic acid also? Yes I do feel a hell of a lot better at the moment constantly checking my blood and seeing where I am. I know long term if i don't change now its not going to do me any good. Would be nice to speak to you so I don't feel alone. I don't know anybody with diabetes apart from my mum who was diagnosed 3 years after me so she hasn't experienced the pregnancy side of things :)
Yeah that is true, Non diabetics 4mg where's as diabetics go on 5mg . I can fully understand that makes you feel good knowing what you are and how it's all working , how many bms are you doing daily at the moment , I'm curious as to how many they advice once pregnant and also if you change your eating a lot also . I'm booked in to see a dietician so hopefully will get some answers with her . And will probably have loads of questions If I manage to book the pre conception clinic too . That's very true about the control , how are you feeling regarding controlling it better are you finding its working out for you ?
I don't know any other type 1 diabetics , my dad is type 2 due to it running through his family .
But deffo agree I'd love to stay in touch and help each other and also to see how the others journey and experience goes .
I think it will be hard , but if others can do it I'm sure we can too ,:):):)

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm doing a bm 2 hours after every meal and anymore if im feeling abit funny! Ive been told previously if your diabetic you bs should be running between 8-9 but I thought that was a bit high!? Yes I feel its working for me massively and my partner is really supportive too which helps loads!!! The trouble I have is at work im constantly so busy but I just need to learn to step back a bit and look after myself! You will have to let me know how the pre conception goes! Its all so exciting! Im guessing you live with your partner!? Unfortunately me and mine are saving for a mortgage whilst living with his parents so were trying to get the timings right!

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Roughly 3-4 years ago I done the course DAFNE , and this is the guidance they have said for you to have you blood sugar levels at
Copying this from the handbook
5.5 - 7.5. Before breakfast
4.5 - 7.5. Before other meals
6.5- 8.0. Before bed .

Pregnancy
Less than 6 before meals
Less than 8 after meals / before bed .
But hopefully will find out more in this during pre conception at what they would advice to keep it between . Hopefully will hear from the nurse Monday so I can then ring and book an appointment , will deffo keep you posted and pass on any information .
I totally agree with you , having to take a step back and look after yourself , it seems to bm and inject takes ages when your in a rush but when you really think about it to stay healthy it's really worth it and takes seconds .
Yes such similar boats in this too haha , I do live with him but with my parents and my brother , and we are saving as have got planning for a double extension on the house . And will be great having help so close to me too lol . We have been together four years and are engaged . Was planning on marriage first but as the hba1c was good it all changed as want to be at my healthiest .
It's wonderful to hear your partner is so supportive , mines the same too knows just as much about my diabetes as I do . So I have spoken to my family and I shall be trying as soon as I get the go a head ,also have a great supportive family , then by the time baby's a toddler werd have the extension , so it all fits in to place .
It is all so very exciting , my partner can not wait , will be so much hard work but it will be so worth it in the end .